Coffee machines

paul1966

Currently we have a Tassimo pod machine, it's convenient in that you just stick a pod in and a few minutes later you have coffee, the things I don't like is that you are tied to Tassimo pods with no compatibles, they are not the cheapest pods, and the range isn't great.

So I am looking at alternatives, the Nespresso looks ideal in that you can get compatible pods. 

I am also looking at the bean to cup type machines and have found a used delonghi duo at a similar price to a decent Nespresso machine but! are they a bit of a faff to use? the duo does take pods as well apparently so could be the best of both worlds i guess

We drink mainly breakfast type coffee's and Latte's  

Any advice appreciated

I have a Nespresso machine (one of the quite basic Magimix types).  If you want tiny quantities (about 2 oz or 50 ml) of espresso - its OK.

Problem is that you need two capsules (minimum) to make a decent cup of coffee.  Two capsule shots, then top off with hot water makes 1 standard mug of adequate coffee. Some may want 3 capsules for a strong cup.

You can get loads of compatible capsules and all 'work' OK, but some are pretty weak, and none are really cheap -  frankly, it is a bit of an expensive to run white elephant.  (My personal opinion).

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have a Nespresso machine (one of the quite basic Magimix types).  If you want tiny quantities (about 2 oz or 50 ml) of espresso - its OK.

Problem is that you need two capsules (minimum) to make a decent cup of coffee.  Two capsule shots, then top off with hot water makes 1 standard mug of adequate coffee. Some may want 3 capsules for a strong cup.

You can get loads of compatible capsules and all 'work' OK, but some are pretty weak, and none are really cheap -  frankly, it is a bit of an expensive to run white elephant.  (My personal opinion).

You can get mug size pods John 230ml . I think I have the same machine. But pods work out a £ plus a cuppa. But you can get some lids off amazon and then refil the pods with aldi ground coffee. The machine seems to do some thing clever cause the coffee comes out all frothy and tastes good.

1 hour ago, captainhastings said:

You can get mug size pods John 230ml

Thanks, these are the "Vertuo" machines?  If so - it is (I'm pretty sure) a different machine to the original.  I also believe that (at present anyway) you have to get the pods from Nespresso and they are expensive.

I have looked at the lids (ruled out as too much 'faff', I might as well use the insulated cafetière I have) and the stainless reusable pods get very mixed reviews (mainly again around small quantity made per capsule filling).

I have gone back to my stainless insulated cafetière which makes nice coffee economically, but is a bit tedious to wash and clear out grounds.

I’ve had bean-to-cup machines and a few of the pod variants.

The Delonghi Magnifica was an excellent machine and lasted a good five years before giving up. It gave an excellent coffee. If I were to buy another bean-to-cup, it would be another one of those.

The Nespresso Vertuo capsules are very expensive comparatively - from about 50p a go, compared to about 10p a go for ground coffee or beans.

My daily coffee is now made in a small insulated cafetiere, as the poster above. It takes a bit longer to make but ultimately the cheapest way to get a decent coffee.

If you like a strong coffee btw, try Asda Java Volcano ground coffee or beans - Very nice indeed.

2 hours ago, captainhastings said:

The machine seems to do some thing clever cause the coffee comes out all frothy

This (https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/coffee-machines/article/nespresso-original-vs-vertuo-which-one-should-you-buy-aDhrl1R47IcZ) explains (towards the bottom of the article) how it spins the capsule to create the froth.

Edited by JohnfromUK

my mate loves his coffee machines ...trouble is he has been thro 3 of them.....he lives in a hard water area and they really get screwed up and go wrong...the companies he buys them from are really bad at reparing them.....you are taliking about months and then they "lose" them...its an ongoing saga

Pods are an incredibly expensive if convenient way of doing things.  French presses (cafetieres) too variable and painful to clean satisfactorily.

I’ve got a 4yr old Delonghi bean-to-cup machine, bought in the black Friday sale.   Makes good coffee, and not tied to any environmentally questionable pods.  Do it.  It is a bit like a dishwasher though, it does need keeping clean otherwise the quality will deteriorate and it will stop working.

I also have an ‘Aeropress’ for when working away, specifically when staying in UK hotels where they think instant is acceptable.  These are much superior to a French press, are easy to clean and produce a much more consistent result.  Ignore the instructions that come with it and watch a youtube video though.

We were given a pod machine for Xmas as we rather like occasional cappuccino. What a pain these dang things are given it simpler to boil the kettle and pour water onto the same contents as pods but scooped out of a container/sachet .... then spend time cleaning the machine for next time.

20 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

We were given a pod machine for Xmas as we rather like occasional cappuccino. What a pain these dang things are given it simpler to boil the kettle and pour water onto the same contents as pods but scooped out of a container/sachet .... then spend time cleaning the machine for next time.

Couldn`t agree more. We were given a Nescafe Dolce Gusto and have never used it. Far easier to boil a kettle.:whistling:

Only hope my daughter doesn`t go on pigeon watch as I wouldn`t wish to appear ungrateful as she gave it to us as a present.

OB

2 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Couldn`t agree more. We were given a Nescafe Dolce Gusto and have never used it. Far easier to boil a kettle.

Only hope my daughter doesn`t go on pigeon watch as I wouldn`t wish to appear ungrateful as she gave it to us as a present.

OB

Our daughter bought ours too. In fact I imagine most are bought as gifts.

No 1 and No 2 sons are off at Uni and miss the decent coffee they get at home.

No 1 son took a spare Flavia coffee machine with him I got off eBay and didn’t need any more and used it for a couple of years before killing it (the Flavia have the cheapest per serving cost of individual serving machines). 

I then got him one of those stove top espresso coffee pots which he seems to like.

Anyhoos, I have been keeping my eyes open for a second hand beam to cup machine (off somewhere like Facey marketplace) and I’m intrigued to know how people get on with them and whether they are good for the distance - they always seemed to have a lot of moving parts and looked complicated and fragile to me. 

They are complex. But as long as you keep it clean the internals seem to last. But honestly, I wouldn’t go secondhand unless it was a high value machine like a Jura.

To me it’s a bit strange that people bother with pods at all, it’s a bit like vendor lock in with razors. Assuming you have the necessary cash, b2c or even manual espresso makers avoid the need for any of this plastic dross & are cheaper long term.

There’s a shotgun cartridge analogue in there somewhere too…

9 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

They are complex. But as long as you keep it clean the internals seem to last. But honestly, I wouldn’t go secondhand unless it was a high value machine like a Jura.

To me it’s a bit strange that people bother with pods at all, it’s a bit like vendor lock in with razors. Assuming you have the necessary cash, b2c or even manual espresso makers avoid the need for any of this plastic dross & are cheaper long term.

There’s a shotgun cartridge analogue in there somewhere too…

Trouble is I can't justify spending £300 on a new coffee machine, the same one i am looking at 2nd hand is £100

21 hours ago, Mungler said:

No 1 and No 2 sons are off at Uni and miss the decent coffee they get at home.

No 1 son took a spare Flavia coffee machine with him I got off eBay and didn’t need any more and used it for a couple of years before killing it (the Flavia have the cheapest per serving cost of individual serving machines). 

I then got him one of those stove top espresso coffee pots which he seems to like.

Anyhoos, I have been keeping my eyes open for a second hand beam to cup machine (off somewhere like Facey marketplace) and I’m intrigued to know how people get on with them and whether they are good for the distance - they always seemed to have a lot of moving parts and looked complicated and fragile to me. 

the problem with second hand coffee machine especially b2c is where they have come from, hard water areas if they haven't been descaled regularly or the brew unit greased regular it could end up costing you after purchasing