EU internal combustion engine ban

ShootingEgg

I have just read that

THE EU parliament has this month voted on the end of privately-owned internal combustion engine vehicles, etching 2035 in stone, as the year the petrol ban will come in.

So this will mean in 2035 new petrol cars will no longer be sold in the EU.

Edited by ShootingEgg
Fat fingers on train

I’ll be dead by 3035 so not to worry 🤪

14 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I have just read that

THE EU parliament has this month voted on the end of privately-owned internal combustion engine vehicles, etching 2035 in stone, as the year the petrol ban will come in.

So this will mean in 3035 new petrol cars will no longer be sold in the EU.

If Electric cars was the right choice (and they were economically feasible) then surely the drift over to them would be organic..

However, currently, public charging is more expensive than ICE, so for those that can't charge at home it economically not viable (for the large percentage)

Electric Charging at home is currently just economically feasible but requires the installation of a charging point, and perhaps your electrics upgraded.

The most effective way for those that can is to install solar and battery storage - but at a starting point of £10K+ plus home charger plus electrics upgrading (say £13k but more realistically £20k ) it is a very expensive starting point 

10 minutes ago, millrace said:

Is britain not doing same by 2030 5 years earlier??

Correct.  Another Brexit benefit, @oowee 🤣

Course, I would expect the EU ban to be mightily resisted by the French/German automakers, and implemented with the usual "it's not terribly convenient to us" attitude.  Whilst the UK ban will be ruthlessly enforced. - Same as before Brexit!

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

When the government  gives me a free electric car and free electricity  /or solar panels to charge it then I will happy drive one .until then .stuff em .

Gubermint giving you free petrol are they?  In any case, google the ECO4 scheme, free solar panels if you qualify...

3 hours ago, discobob said:

If Electric cars was the right choice (and they were economically feasible) then surely the drift over to them would be organic..

However, currently, public charging is more expensive than ICE, so for those that can't charge at home it economically not viable (for the large percentage)

Electric Charging at home is currently just economically feasible but requires the installation of a charging point, and perhaps your electrics upgraded.

The most effective way for those that can is to install solar and battery storage - but at a starting point of £10K+ plus home charger plus electrics upgrading (say £13k but more realistically £20k ) it is a very expensive starting point 

If not orgasmic even.:innocent:

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Correct.  Another Brexit benefit, @oowee 🤣

Course, I would expect the EU ban to be mightily resisted by the French/German automakers, and implemented with the usual "it's not terribly convenient to us" attitude.  Whilst the UK ban will be ruthlessly enforced. - Same as before Brexit!

Gubermint giving you free petrol are they?  In any case, google the ECO4 scheme, free solar panels if you qualify...

We are only stopping sale not banning ownership as stated (but i doubt thats true @ShootingEgg). It's certainly a benefit but nothing we could not be done within the EU. 

I am hoping the new NI deal will open the rules for more access to the EU for the rest of us owning pets. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

We are only stopping sale not banning ownership as stated (but i doubt thats true @ShootingEgg). It's certainly a benefit but nothing we could not be done within the EU. 

I am hoping the new NI deal will open the rules for more access to the EU for the rest of us owning pets. 

Who knows. My series 2 won't be going anywhere if I can still buy petrol

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I would expect the EU ban to be mightily resisted by the French/German automakers, and implemented with the usual "it's not terribly convenient to us" attitude.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that!! They seem to be happy at churning out new models that are fully electric or phev that are eye wateringly expensive....They can make their profits by laying people off (which is currently happening), less complexity to build (less moving parts) and a massive overhead that is pure profit.

10 hours ago, discobob said:

With petrol. with diesel I've a choice. I can fill up at Shell, Esso, BP, Asda, Morrison, Sainsbury. And if I don't like the price I can simply go somewhere else and and spend my cash with them. Or next time buy a car with a smaller engine. With electricity I can't. For mostly I'll be charging at home from my domestic supply. So one supplier at the price they impose on me and AFAIK electricity consumption vehicle to vehicle is about the same?

The bloke that I was apprenticed under was a young bloke (Tom) back in WW2  and back then petrol was dyed red and called pool petrol.   You were issued coupons which were issued on the basis of distance getting to work.  if you were found out on the road other than going to work you were heavily fined and might have the petrol allowance removed.!  Meaning that you might have to either walk or cycle to work.   (Tom) being a young lad mechanic wanted to go and watch the speed way down in Eastbourne which was off limits.  He got around this by the ingenuity of having a second fuel tank for his BSA motorbike and a second Anal monoobloc carb rejetted to run on METHANOL.  He skimmed the head to get a higher compression ratio.  When he did the Change over, all that it took was two bolts on the seat, one bolt holding the fuel tank,  disconnect the fuel line to the card, two bolts on the carb and unscrew the carb slide cap.  And the reverse.  Probably about 15 minutes works.  Methanol was freely available and not PETROL, so ok.  I don't know if my modern Honda would run on it or what the emissions would be.  Or go over to LPG or go on an electric bike.  The price of electric vehicles is VV high.  Back to old days, walk, bike, horse and cart.?

32 minutes ago, oowee said:

We are only stopping sale not banning ownership

Yes, both the EU and the UK ban is on the sale of new ICE passenger cars, nobody has suggested otherwise. 

Actually, in the case of the EU, I expect it'll actually end up being type approvals of new cars rather than sales.  Hence my 'not convenient to us comment.  Germany, Italy and Hungary are all already digging in.

33 minutes ago, oowee said:

It's certainly a benefit but nothing we could not be done within the EU. 

Ahahha, surely you can't be serious?  The EU would've almost certainly taken the UK to court for anti-competitive practices had we done such a thing whilst EU members. 

11 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

With petrol. with diesel I've a choice. I can fill up at Shell, Esso, BP, Asda, Morrison, Sainsbury. And if I don't like the price I can simply go somewhere else and and spend my cash with them. Or next time buy a car with a smaller engine. With electricity I can't

I don't think your analogy holds water.  All petrol retailers charge the same, +/- a few pence, and all use the same feedstock, i.e. small number of suppliers, and merely change their additive package, if any.  Same with the retail electricity market, especially at the moment.  And obviously you could always buy an EV with a smaller capacity battery.

And with an EV, you could charge from your PV array, or at night with cheaper electricity.  All very capital-intensive, granted.

Am many years from buying an EV myself, but assuming the range improves per current trends, the thought of the fuel 'station' being at home, coming out every morning to a 'full tank' is quite appealing.

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes, both the EU and the UK ban is on the sale of new ICE passenger cars, nobody has suggested otherwise. 

See top post. 

'THE EU parliament has this month voted on the end of privately-owned internal combustion engine vehicles, etching 2035 in stone, as the year the petrol ban will come in.'

• 4 weeks later...