Remove wax from tweed cap

PeterHenry

So, long story short, I have a nice Campbells tweed cap, that I made the mistake of wearing during a days shooting last season after re-waxing my Barbour.

The result is that it has wax smudged all over the peake.

I took it to be dry cleaned, but they pointed to the label that said no dry cleaning, and refused. I'm hesitant to wash it, as its not use to me shrunk...

My only other thought is isopropyl to get the wax off? But would that also remove some of the dye?

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My Mrs puts my "garden/work" (I'm retired) tweed cap in the bowl with warm/hot water with washing powder and she says it freshens it up. It might work.

There would be a divorce if my Mrs. dared to wash my favourite cap!

A countryman’s cap should have ‘patina’.

3 hours ago, PeterHenry said:

My only other thought is isopropyl to get the wax off? But would that also remove some of the dye?

I doubt isopropyl would remove the dye (but go carefully in case).  What it might do is damage whatever they use to stiffen the peak.  I assume it is some sort of celluloid material as it would have to be water resistant.  I have washed caps - and some have been fine, but one wasn't and came out more like a beanie than a cap!

Long time - 30 years plus - since I have been in Campbells (I'm assuming you mean Campbells of Beauly?).

5 hours ago, smokingdragon said:

You could try putting brown paper packing material on it, then ironing it - the wax will melt and get absorbed into the paper.

This. My tweed caps get wet and I just stretch them back into shape; the more used and abused they get the more I like them. 

4 hours ago, humperdingle said:

If it will take the heat of a tumble dryer, pop the cap into a pillowcase (tie it closed)  and tumble dry. The wax will transfer onto the pillowcase.

I do this (briefly) after rewaxing my Barbour and it evens the wax out.

You missed the most important word “old” pillowcase! I can just see the managements reaction if I did that with one of her best Egyptian cotton cases 😂😂

Thanks for all the replys - I do appreciate a good patina as much as the next, but this was a tad too much in one go. Personally I'd rarther let it build up over time - and there's a fine line between well loved and neglected.

Anyway - cotton wool buds, a judicious amount of isopropyl, and some perseverance has dealt with it well enough (for the record)

Thanks again,