Raab has Gone.

TIGHTCHOKE

16 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Probably expected the civil servants to actually do the job they are paid for without prevarication because politically they "don't agree"

"

This ^^^^

Anonymous allegations to bring down a cabinet minister. They tried it with other ministers toom

There is a fine line between 'bully' and someone who expects hard work, high standards and is firm on 'slackness'.

In my 45 odd years at work, I can only recall three who were real 'bullies'.  All were (eventually) sorted out by the hierarchy of their employer. 

I have come across quite a few who were 'demanding' of others in terms of hard work, tight timescales and high standards.  In my view (having worked directly for at least two of the 'demanding' types) it is something you work with - and in both cases not only did we all get along well and remain friends to this day (though two of us are now retired), but we achieved good things working that way.  The work could be hard - but the rewards were good, and the thanks for things that went well (which was most things) were genuine.  On the occasions where things didn't go well, lessons were genuinely learned and applied 'next time around'.

I have also come across a few ho were just not pleasant to work with.  Not bullying - but just not people who would get involved and work together as a team.

Not defending Raab, as I have never come across him, but there seem to be plenty who think he was the type who 'sets the bar high' for both himself and his team as well as some who found him a 'bully'.

Same thing happened to Priti Patel. When you ask that some Civil Servants to carry out Government policy they cry "bully".

The vast majority are hardworking, loyal - albeit lions led by donkeys. There does seem to be an increasing element of those who want to dictate policy, without resigning and submitting themselves for election.

It is against the Civil Service Code to drag your feet and it's about time disciplinary action was taken against the miscreants.

Edited by Gordon R

5 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Probably expected the civil servants to actually do the job they are paid for without prevarication because politically they "don't agree"

"

I don't doubt that for a minute,  I'm just waiting for @oowee to tell us just how hard the civil servant's work 😅😅

4 hours ago, sportsbob said:

The son of someone I know works within the department and said he is firm but fair and no issues with him at all.

What you want from the boss.

I'm just waiting for @oowee to tell us just how hard the civil servant's work 😅😅

In 95% of cases, he would be right to do so. There seems to be a rogue element who don't like being managed. If someone proposes or instructs them to do something they don't like - cue complaints of bullying and leaks to the media.

On 21/04/2023 at 10:26, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So Dominic Raab has resigned but maintains he is NOT a bully

One of the Prime Ministers staunchest allies.

Reminds me of the Met who simply don't grasp the problems within.  

20 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Parts of the Civil Service are seriously out of control. They don't like being told to do the job they are paid to do

Really? With performance pay I doubt that very much. That said they cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Tell them black is white and they are paid to argue the point. 

In the past I have had a minister standing up and pounding the table, red in the face when he does not like the answer. I seriously thought he was about to have a coronary. On the other hand I have worked with others whose policy was (in my view misguided) and delivered exactly what they set out to achieve through a rational thought process. 

If newspaper reports are to be believed, one of our ambassadors was secretly offering a foreign country the right to station troops permanently in UK territory, despite knowing that it was directly against the wishes of the UK government.  

The minister has resigned on account of pressure applied by diplomatic service and/or civil service staff, while the ambassador who attempted to subvert government policy has retained his post.

Who has been bullied by whom?   Or did those newspapers get it all wrong?

14 hours ago, McSpredder said:

If newspaper reports are to be believed, one of our ambassadors was secretly offering a foreign country the right to station troops permanently in UK territory, despite knowing that it was directly against the wishes of the UK government.  

The minister has resigned on account of pressure applied by diplomatic service and/or civil service staff, while the ambassador who attempted to subvert government policy has retained his post.

Who has been bullied by whom?   Or did those newspapers get it all wrong?

I saw that, whomever it was thought to be should be  tested about it? 

On 21/04/2023 at 16:16, Vince Green said:

Parts of the Civil Service are seriously out of control. They don't like being told to do the job they are paid to do

They now want a four day week because working from home has made them feel 'always on call'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12008929/Civil-servants-demand-four-day-working-week-without-losing-pay.html