Ft lb question ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

Is there any way an air rifle can be tested to find the ft lb other than putting it on a chronograph ?.

Thanks all.

It possible to test  if a gun is well under power say up to 9 fpe  but not accurately enough to give a figure that you would want to defend against a conviction 

You would have to do a pellet drop test at range with a known pellet and see how it performs out if your gun and compare it to known 11.5 fpe data for that pellet .

This would have to be around 50 yds in wind free conditions 

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Is there any way an air rifle can be tested to find the ft lb other than putting it on a chronograph ?.

Thanks all.

The question is why? Is it just you don't have one? Someone local to you might have one.

4 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

39 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The question is why? Is it just you don't have one? Someone local to you might have one.

I’m in Essex and have a chrono, if it’s required get in touch I’m sure we could come to some sort of arrangement. 

47 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I’m in Essex and have a chrono, if it’s required get in touch I’m sure we could come to some sort of arrangement. 

I'm going to an air rifle club on Sunday and if they haven't got one one i will come back to you  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2023 at 10:13, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Yes. Using a ballistic pendulum. As above. 

Edited by enfieldspares

• 1 month later...

well you could just guess like i did with my new tx200.guessed at 11.5ft/lbs and was checked on a chrono at 11.48 ft/lbs.to test the power i shoot at an emtpy .22 air arms tin and i know from experence that if it goes through it is over 12 ft/lbs.as mine nearly went through i knew it must be over 11ft/lbs and under 12 ft/lbs.

2 hours ago, .357shooter said:

well you could just guess like i did with my new tx200.guessed at 11.5ft/lbs and was checked on a chrono at 11.48 ft/lbs.to test the power i shoot at an emtpy .22 air arms tin and i know from experence that if it goes through it is over 12 ft/lbs.as mine nearly went through i knew it must be over 11ft/lbs and under 12 ft/lbs.

I'm sorry, but that's just laughable !!! I shot my .177 HW100 at some 18mm ply. I knew it was at a confirmed 11.5 ft/lbs. 6 shots all penetrated to a different depth,,,, one pellet went right through ! There's no guessing or assuming at air power 🤔

Not ft/lbs but our usual was was. in 177 dent an empty pea tin USUAL. dent and split same tin VERY GOOD. clean through the tin one side EXCELENT Through one side and seriously dent the other side and you were the happiest kid in the street. All at about six yards and 1940s.

A little squirt of model diesel engine fuel worked wonders and smelled lovely especially if the oil in the fuel was Castrol R.

Edited by DUNKS

On 06/08/2023 at 12:02, .357shooter said:

Am sure that'll hold up in court 😂  You might try getting the units right, it's ft.lbs not ft/lbs!  One is a measure of energy, the other pressure. 

Of course, you could always use a system of measurement that doesn't conflate mass and weight, but that's a different argument.

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2023 at 10:13, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Thanks all.

Chronos are so cheap these days there is no good reason NOT to have one.  I used to use a Combo but found it such a PITA to use I thought I would try a cheap one from China just for the hell of it.  Well what a surprise.  It is a superb piece of kit and so simple to use.  No chance of shooting the **** out of it as it self aligning with or without silencer.  It reads in FPS or MPS but a simple input into online ftlb calculator and job done.  It's accurate and even has a rechargeable battery.  At less than £17+ vat with free delivery it's a no brainer.

Screenshot_20230920-003233~2.png

On 07/08/2023 at 14:08, Ultrastu said:

Pellet shape .size and weight will make  the biggest difference to penetration  depth or ability to pierce  a medium .velocity will come a very poor 4th  after the other factors  have had their say .

Bxxxxr! I'm grounded as the bit my BSA needs is out of stock.

I'm good to go with shotgun pellets but have no idea with the airgun variety. Obviously, we wouldn't be talking catalogues or directories et al but ballistic gel. The problem that I can see is the 'shape' which is of no consequence with the shotgun: with that in mind, is there a formula or whatever for calculating airgun pellet penetration?