Why are the government so tolerant ?

30-6

Everybody are really fed up with these Just Stop Oil idiots, why are the government so tolerant ?

Why don't they get the water cannons out , or police dogs ? Surely it's an offence to stand in the middle of a highway with moving traffic.

Someone is going to get killed with the tension and frustrations that are building up.

If the PM was travelling and they turned up, I think the police would up their game to a different level then.

3 minutes ago, Keith RW said:

We don’t have any water cannons anymore, we sold them off to someone in Europe if I remember correctly as apparently using them was against peoples human rights or something along those lines 

Correct 

51 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Obstructing the public highway is against the law and has been since about 1980 (Highways Act) so the Government has already done what's required.

It's down to the police to enforce it but they are afraid of their own shadows.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge that's only half the story, I believe there was a piece of case law the crux of which was that didn't necessarily apply to a protest action, hence why plod appear so nervous of immediately taking action, therefore we've got the judges to thank for this one.

1 hour ago, 30-6 said:

Everybody are really fed up with these Just Stop Oil idiots, why are the government so tolerant ?

Why don't they get the water cannons out , or police dogs ? Surely it's an offence to stand in the middle of a highway with moving traffic.

Someone is going to get killed with the tension and frustrations that are building up.

If the PM was travelling and they turned up, I think the police would up their game to a different level then.

Because they support them.

9 hours ago, armsid said:

If they are drawing dole then they are not available for work and their money should be stopped

These protestors are not typically on the dole. The profile of the protesters is more along the lines of little rich kids and retired librarians etc

The protests appear to step up during school/ Uni holiday times.

Controlled opposition - the more they hack people off - the more the public will stand behind them when they put more restrictions on protesting - until we have no right to protest left.....

To put it into focus though - look what was done to people marching against the unspecified virus of unknown origins....

21 minutes ago, discobob said:

Controlled opposition - the more they hack people off - the more the public will stand behind them when they put more restrictions on protesting - until we have no right to protest left.....

To put it into focus though - look what was done to people marching against the unspecified virus of unknown origins....

And that one Bob is lurking in the wings?

The more freedoms they can remove under the guise of  anything is another win for them?

I actually do think that we should end reliance on oil and, indeed, on gas. Not for the reasons that "Just Stop Oil" promote but because both underpin pretty nasty regimes such as Russia and Saudi Arabia. We have our own resources to burn to generate electricity and to burn to produce gas. It is called coal. Unfortunately it's never going to happen sufficient to end that reliance on imported oil and imported gas and since Thatcher privatised electricity no privatised electric company will invest in nuclear. So we are right royally kippered.

47 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Should have fined her 10% of her net income. Be much better then. Then put that money into renewable sources 🤣

What a good idea, if they did that to all of them we'd soon have cheap green energy and the Eco idiots can put there money where there mouth is. 

20 hours ago, Keith RW said:

We don’t have any water cannons anymore, we sold them off to someone in Europe if I remember correctly as apparently using them was against peoples human rights or something along those lines 

Correct. We can thank good old Maggie Thatcher for this, I believe.

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Correct. We can thank good old Maggie Thatcher for this, I believe.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2015-07-15/debates/15071540000005/WaterCannon

Just found the above info, it was the then Secretary of State Theresa May that was involved with the decision surrounding water cannons not being authorised for use here in the UK.