Vitamin Supplements

ditchman

i think i eat a balanced diet....

being of advanced years do i need to take vitamin supplements ?...................are they a con ?....will i feel any benifits.....

does anyone on here swear by them...........anyone have any proof they do good things for you.........

Almost everyone in the UK will benefit from Vitamin D. We just don't have the sun. They don't even test any more in medical research, just prescribe.

The rest depends on your diet. If you eat good quality red meat and non starchy veg you're probably fine for Iron and Vitamin C. I'd suggest Omega 3-6-9 for your eyes and Glucosamine Chronditin BEFORE your knee cartilage goes to heck. 

Multivits are indeed mostly a waste of time. These supplements aren't a waste of time, and are the three I take myself. 

so what im seeing here then is.....multi vits can be pointless................but targeted vit supps are benificial.......with the blood tests i alreadyhave im sure the docs would have prescribed me supps' if i needed them............

is that fair ?

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

so what im seeing here then is.....multi vits can be pointless................but targeted vit supps are benificial.......with the blood tests i alreadyhave im sure the docs would have prescribed me supps' if i needed them............

is that fair ?

Yes, if you have had blood tests the results will show any deficiency and your GP would recommend which supplements/vitamins you require 

9 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Almost everyone in the UK will benefit from Vitamin D. We just don't have the sun. They don't even test any more in medical research, just prescribe.

The rest depends on your diet. If you eat good quality red meat and non starchy veg you're probably fine for Iron and Vitamin C. I'd suggest Omega 3-6-9 for your eyes and Glucosamine Chronditin BEFORE your knee cartilage goes to heck. 

Multivits are indeed mostly a waste of time. These supplements aren't a waste of time, and are the three I take myself. 

Targeted approach is good.

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

so what im seeing here then is.....multi vits can be pointless................but targeted vit supps are benificial.......with the blood tests i alreadyhave im sure the docs would have prescribed me supps' if i needed them............is that fair ?

I take C and D and Iron, I work long hours and use these to balance my intake. I also take in a lot of salt and liquids. Without the salt I get cramp a fair bit. With the salt I don't and any excess is passed out.

I adopted "MY" system after the TIA in 2018.

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I take C and D and Iron, I work long hours and use these to balance my intake. I also take in a lot of salt and liquids. Without the salt I get cramp a fair bit. With the salt I don't and any excess is passed out.

You might want to check the problems with taking a lot of salt, it can cause several problems - fluid retention is common and hard to spot until damage has been done usually to the kidneys and heart. 

I was brought up as a youngster on a lot of oily fish such as Herrings and none us came to any harm with health issues , then as the years rolled by and the Herring fishing went into the history books I started to take either one a day , or two smaller Cod Liver Oil ones every day and even this morning I had another ( One a day ) , do they make any difference health wise ? , that I couldn't tell you as I still get various aches and pains but we are still here and if they don't do any good to your general health then on the other hand , I don't think they do any harm and by taking them you just think they are helping in some way .:good:

To be fair to our GP unless they have studied  vitamins in general  they dont. Know. A lot about them. They just. Work of. Blood results.  And if levels  are low they will advice. . They have to stick to NICE guidelines. 

Anything else's they would  refer you to someone. Like. A  Dietitian  .

to those. Take vit D it's recomed. Now  since these covid out break. . Maybe you should read up on taking. K2 with. Your Vit D .

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You might want to check the problems with taking a lot of salt, it can cause several problems - fluid retention is common and hard to spot until damage has been done usually to the kidneys and heart. 

Yes I am aware. I manage it and have never had a problem passing water.   :good:

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I thought salt puts you at higher risk of TIA/Stroke/Heart attack? 

26 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

I'm going to try   you move    then have a flying leap into the lake or something

is that thedog stuff ?.....supposed to have green lipped muscle in it ?.........i would prefer something that had redlipped tart in it

Ever since the wife broke her arm she was moaning it was still sore nearly a year on , then when she gets up she creaks and groans so i got her vitamin C and and cod-liver oil and omega it seems to help but the worrying thing is folk are complaining there joints  are sore after the covid booster 

16 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I am 58 and for the last few months have had eczema for the first time and been badly with it.  I have started taking a strong Vitamin D dose and it appears to be clearing up.

I get a rash and the doctor said it was a stress rash she prescribed head and shoulders shampoo i have to mix equal quantities then rub it on leave it 5 minutes and wash it off 3 times a month  it certainly helps 

I once spoke to a consultant that joked everyone with painful joints was wearing a copper bracelet. 

In regards vitamins if your body doesn’t need it you will pass it out. 
you can pick up half a years worth of once a day for a few quid. 

can’t do any harm can it 

I take these daily . I was taking them a few years back but stopped until a few months back and I genuinely feel better.

im on amitripyline for my feet anyway but I definitely feel more awake and less achy on d3 especially. Even my mrs says the same . 

The vit c pack in the picture was a tenner for 6 months supply . It’s done me no harm anyway . 

56E935D6-3645-48F3-A5C1-9EB187DD8EE4.jpeg