Favourite vehicle you’ve ever owned

Duckandswing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, team tractor said:

Terios hands down . Honestly it’s fun everytime I drive it 

Interesting you’d choose that over the transporter. I had an old RAV4 I bought off Melb. That thing was fun as I’d take it anywhere and it didn’t matter if it got dented, stuck etc. Definitely had more fun in it that anything else.

I had (back in the 1980s) a Daimler Double Six (better trimmed Jaguar XJ12).  Highly regarded in it's day.  A rather young Jeremy Clarkson was a fan;

Wonderfully comfortable, relaxed and 'soothing', fast (by the standards of its day), near silent and with a magic carpet ride, never failed to complete a journey.  Downside was thirst (5.3 litre V12), huge turning circle and frequent service (lots of greasers) needed.  Mine was 100% reliable, I owned it for 8 years, and dropped £1000 in it in that time.

Owned 114 cars, including a couple of Cosworths. Built a couple of quick kit cars, but my favourite has to be a 1970 Morris 1800 - known as the Land Crab. No slouch, big, comfy and a pleasure to drive. Built my own hydrolastic pump to maintain ride height.

Morris-1800-1.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

3 hours ago, Duckandswing said:

Interesting you’d choose that over the transporter. I had an old RAV4 I bought off Melb. That thing was fun as I’d take it anywhere and it didn’t matter if it got dented, stuck etc. Definitely had more fun in it that anything else.

My T6.1 is amazing but boring . It’s fast , smooth , comfy on long journeys but the terios is tiring , loud , bumpy 😂. It has a bouncing rev limiter . It’s sooooo much fun and everyone stares at it 

2 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Owned 114 cars, including a couple of Cosworths. Built a couple of quick kit cars, but my favourite has to be a 1970 Morris 1800 - known as the Land Crab. No slouch, big, comfy and a pleasure to drive. Built my own hydrolastic pump to maintain ride height.

Morris-1800-1.jpg

I had two, and a Maxi, tremendous cars. Always wanted the Austin 3 litre but never made it.

I had two, and a Maxi, tremendous cars.

My wife had two Maxis. Underrated cars, once they ditched the cable gear change. Front wheel drive, five speed gearbox, chain driven OHC transverse engine, hydrolastic suspension, fold down seats and a hatchback. In many respects, way ahead of their time. Also had two Princesses and two Ambassadors.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Always wanted the Austin 3 litre but never made it.

Some friends of my parents had a 3 litre.  If I remember correctly, there was something bizarre about the suspension self levelling in that you had to start the engine before loading up the car.  Don't remember the exact details, but I remember my fathers friend finding it a curse!

6 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Morris-1800-1.jpg

What cosworths did you have? I have always wanted one. Never been brave enough to do it.

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

A toss up between my current Mk7 Hilux or my first car, a Series III mud pig.

I wanted a hilux but they didn’t have any available when I got the ranger during lockdown (it’s a company lease). Are they as good as people say? I’ve never heard a bad word about them.

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

My wife had two Maxis. Underrated cars, once they ditched the cable gear change. Front wheel drive, five speed gearbox, chain driven OHC transverse engine, hydrolastic suspension, fold down seats and a hatchback. In many respects, way ahead of their time. Also had two Princesses and two Ambassadors.

A friends father used to buy old Maxis to use on the farm, they would go almost anywhere. 

Moto Guzzi Le Mans MkII

Querky handling and never really happy till you got up near motorway speeds. Skinny tyres by today's standards and skinny seat by anyones standards. It had a riding position that you had to adapt to. Took it to the IOM in the early 90's and the sun shone all week. 

And

1965 Norton Dominator 650SS

Ground up build from boxes of bits. Slimline fb frame, fast and comfortable. Went all over on that bike and one of my missus's favourites too. 

Can't decide between the two. Both gone but I'd have either back now.