Windscreen repair.

Westley

I have a small stone chip on the front windscreen of my 2018 Honda CRV. It is to the left and slightly higher than my eyeline when driving. However I find I see it in my peripheral vision and my eyes are drawn to it. Can anyone tell me if they have had a windscreen 'repair' and if it makes the chip less visible.

I've had 2 or 3 stone chips repaired and it does almost disappear, most insurance companies do a free chip repair and not registered as a claim as it's cheaper for them rather than replacing the windscreen. Auto glass and other's should be able to tell you when you tell them your insurance company if it's a free repair. 

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

I have a small stone chip on the front windscreen of my 2018 Honda CRV. It is to the left and slightly higher than my eyeline when driving. However I find I see it in my peripheral vision and my eyes are drawn to it. Can anyone tell me if they have had a windscreen 'repair' and if it makes the chip less visible.

Yes and Yes almost invisible you have to look very hard to see the repair.

9 minutes ago, B725 said:

I've had 2 or 3 stone chips repaired and it does almost disappear, most insurance companies do a free chip repair and not registered as a claim as it's cheaper for them rather than replacing the windscreen. Auto glass and other's should be able to tell you when you tell them your insurance company if it's a free repair. 

This ☝️

The damage to my windscreen is very small,  smaller than a 5p piece. I am just paranoid about dirty windscreens , I carry a small non scratch pan cleaner and a bottle of neat washer additive, to remove dead bugs and grease. I also scrub the blades with fhe same method. A greasy windscreen, rain and oncoming headlights are a lethal combination.  I even carry a rubber window blade, for cleaning the side windows before driving.

Bear in mind that sometimes they do "let go" when the resin or whatever is being injected. So do at the very least have time in hand and a back up plan if it does. And double check with your insurance company of they've any special deals on such a repair and if having one done through them  counts as a claim. My brother used to do them via Chips Away and at one time I worked for an underwriter that had a deal with one of these repair folks.

Edited by enfieldspares

On 12/11/2023 at 19:29, enfieldspares said:

Bear in mind that sometimes they do "let go" when the resin or whatever is being injected. So do at the very least have time in hand and a back up plan if it does. And double check with your insurance company of they've any special deals on such a repair and if having one done through them  counts as a claim. My brother used to do them via Chips Away and at one time I worked for an underwriter that had a deal with one of these repair folks.

I must be the odd one out , I have only had one repair on a windscreen , well two really as they had to do it twice .

I had mine done on TESCO'S car park while I went in the store and had a coffee and a read of the Shooting Times , came out after about an hour and the bloke was just finishing it off , sign his papers and off I went , looking at it I could still see where it was and t b h it didn't look that much better than before the chap done it , so next morning way I go again to TESCO'S , the same bloke was there and I told him it whatever he done didn't work and I thought it was a poor job , I left it again and although his second job was a bit better than the first one I am glad I didn't have to pay for it even though I had paid on the insurance , 

MM 

I had one done by a company arranged by my insurance (NFU) - done 'free' in the office car park. 

The chip looked just as bad afterwards as before, but was well out of the defined vision area for MoT.  However, it (10 years on) has never spread and has passed every MoT without comment.  Possibly the problem of it still remaining visible was because a couple of weeks used passed between the chip happening and the repair as I was away (holiday) in the car when it happened.

Well, Autoglass came yesterday morning, bang on time. Took them around 45 minutes and they have done a superb job. Yes, the mark is still visible BUT, you have to look for it as opposed to your eye being drawn to it. It cost me £20 excess using my Insurance company and they say it will NOT affect my renewal cost. It is just as well, because Autoglass quote £225 for the repair if it was not going through the Insurance. Still, an excellent job and I thank you all for your input.  W.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I had one done by a company arranged by my insurance (NFU) - done 'free' in the office car park. 

The chip looked just as bad afterwards as before, but was well out of the defined vision area for MoT.  However, it (10 years on) has never spread and has passed every MoT without comment.  Possibly the problem of it still remaining visible was because a couple of weeks used passed between the chip happening and the repair as I was away (holiday) in the car when it happened.

I am glad in a nice way I wasn't the only one who had a poor job done , you might had hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the time lapse from when the chip first happened to the time of the repair , the chap did ask when did it happen ? , I told him about two weeks and he said if it had been much longer than the repair is not always  successful :hmm:

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am glad in a nice way I wasn't the only one who had a poor job done , you might had hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the time lapse from when the chip first happened to the time of the repair , the chap did ask when did it happen ? , I told him about two weeks and he said if it had been much longer than the repair is not always  successful :hmm:

It's a long time ago (10 years(ish)), but I'm pretty sure I was asked.  The chip happened driving to Scotland for a sporting week with friends, so being Scotland, it would have got well soaked!  Then when I got back it took around a week to arrange, which may have been me catching up and not getting around to booking the slot.

The chip is lower right hand side outside the main area and doesn't cause any problems either to me as the driver or to the MoT inspector.  I still have the car, and the chip has never spread, so it has been fully 'satisfactory' as a repair for me.

As far as I remember I didn't have to pay a penny, the insurance covered all.  The small chip/dent in the bonnet that occurred at the same time was not covered as a free repair, and in consequence is still there 10 years on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on the Windscreen situation. After 2 days and some torrential rain, the 'repair' failed. After contacting Autoglass, my vehicle is booked into their workshop for a new screen,  on Monday. I have to go to them because of all of the sensors fitted on the screen. These have to be re programmed after fitting. No cost to me for the new screen.

2 hours ago, Westley said:

Just an update on the Windscreen situation. After 2 days and some torrential rain, the 'repair' failed. After contacting Autoglass, my vehicle is booked into their workshop for a new screen,  on Monday. I have to go to them because of all of the sensors fitted on the screen. These have to be re programmed after fitting. No cost to me for the new screen.

I have had screen repairs on most of the vehicles I have owned through the last thirty years or so. Never known a repair fail.(famous last words?)