Check your fuel.

samboy

Hi gang.

My partner's daughter ran out of fuel on a slip road. She left the car to go to a garage to get some and on her return a policeman

was waiting and read her the riot act. Apparently it is some kind of offence ( rule 97 Highway code ).

She said he was a pig of a copper. So she could end up with 3 points and a fine.

Perhaps we should all pay more attention to our vehicles before we move off.

34 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

My partner's daughter ran out of fuel on a slip road. She left the car to go to a garage to get some and on her return a policeman

was waiting and read her the riot act. Apparently it is some kind of offence ( rule 97 Highway code ).

She said he was a pig of a copper. So she could end up with 3 points and a fine.

Perhaps we should all pay more attention to our vehicles before we move off.

I always check if I have enough fuel for my journey?

Whilst running out of fuel isn't illegal in itself, under current legislation, drivers can be fined a minimum of £100 and three penalty points if their car obstructs the road as a result of an avoidable breakdown, or if running out of fuel is deemed to result in careless or dangerous driving.20 Feb 2023

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

There but for the Grace of God go I and the self righteous.

👆 This.

People on here have obviously never been young, skint, and ran your ancient Fiesta out of fuel then?  A fiesta, that incidentally, had a fuel gauge that seemed to work...occasionally.

I always had a spare can with me...after a the first time I did that.

8 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Totally agree with you LB, you see them at the pumps putting £5, or £10 in the vehicle, i know times are hard but you shouldnt drive a vehicle if you cant afford to run it.

The daft thing is, the vehicle will do the same mpg however little/much you put in. 
I have had vehicles in the past where the fuel gauge didn’t work. My first car was not even fitted with a gauge. You only have to keep an eye on the mileage.

49 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Totally agree with you LB, you see them at the pumps putting £5, or £10 in the vehicle, i know times are hard but you shouldnt drive a vehicle if you cant afford to run it.

Half my childhood was spent being driven to school on a wish and a hope that you made it 🤣 if we broke down / ran out of fuel we’d get out and walk the rest of the way! 

Forget carrying a spare can of fuel, couldn’t afford the fuel in the tank let alone fuel in a spare. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Half my childhood was spent being driven to school on a wish and a hope that you made it 🤣 if we broke down / ran out of fuel we’d get out and walk the rest of the way! 

Forget carrying a spare can of fuel, couldn’t afford the fuel in the tank let alone fuel in a spare. 

My father had never had a driving lesson let alone a car up to the day he passed away , if we didn't walk to school then we couldn't get there , this didn't do us any harm as I dare say we were as fit if not fitter than most of the kids who were driven in the parents motor or the bus that dropped them off .

Perhaps the policeman concerned had been involved in a fatality through some one running out of fuel in the fast lane of a motorway. I bet it alters your perspective. Quick little story, driving at night on my Panther outfit with wifey in the sidecar, with much popping and banging I ran out of fuel and stopped. Car driving behind also stopped, guy jumps out and says "I know what you have just done" and hands me a gallon can of petrol. Gets in his car and drives off. Long long time ago but I shall always remember it. 

4 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Perhaps the policeman concerned had been involved in a fatality through some one running out of fuel in the fast lane of a motorway. I bet it alters your perspective. Quick little story, driving at night on my Panther outfit with wifey in the sidecar, with much popping and banging I ran out of fuel and stopped. Car driving behind also stopped, guy jumps out and says "I know what you have just done" and hands me a gallon can of petrol. Gets in his car and drives off. Long long time ago but I shall always remember it. 

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

They spend millions on designing driver friendly dashboards in vehicles, it's amazing just how many drivers never bother to look at it. However, I'm more inclined to go with the " should it be a nail job, or a few litres of petrol "  😁 I watched a documentary regarding the Motorway system and the Highways Agency that patrol them. They too had no sympathy for drivers running out of fuel. It can lead to some horrendous incidents on Motorways. I understood (probably wrongly) that it was only on the Motorway system and the slip roads connecting it, where it was an offence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2023 at 14:00, London Best said:

They don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

No, they certainly don't

Perm any trip between Devon, Lincoln and Norwich. Topped up one Sunday afternoon in Lincoln ready for the off to Norwich in the evening in a recently required youngish TR7. Bought it from the garage where Father worked so I knew all would probably be well, but got to about the Kings Lynn neck of the woods and something obviously wasn't as my fuel gauge was winding down at a rapid rate and it's getting on for midnight. Found an open police station - so obviously this wasn't recently - where the officer on the desk knew of a garage/filling station which would open up for good reason - obviously again not recently. My story and ID seemed to fit the bill so I called in and filled up to the brim - the second time that day with not much more than 100 miles travelled - and just made it to Norwich. I'd discovered that the TR7 air inlet didn't like the cold - it was xxxxxx freezing. A couple of matching cylinder hoover hoses between the air filter intake and exhaust manifold sorted it.

On 09/01/2024 at 16:48, samboy said:

Update. She got fined £100 and has to do a drivers course.

regrettably that is it looks to be the way we Police now, yes she made a mistake, however with a police car sitting behind her’s on the slip road probably with flashing lights mitigating any potentially accident risk, what was wrong with having a few words with her and then helping her on her way?  All this macho policing just drives a wedge between the public and the police.

Many, many years ago as a young man I drove in error 100yards or so the wrong way up a one way street, fortunately a quite street which ended at a roundabout as luck or not would have it the car coming round the roundabout was a police car he stopped parked across the street so i could not exit, it was at that point it suddenly hit me what i had done, he approached me and asked if I knew why he had stopped, I explained yes just realised what i had done and apologised he did no more than say don’t do it again will you and drove  away.   Could not see that attitude happing again with current policing focusing on enforcement rather than engagement with us tax payers being their employers.

Have never forgotten that every time i still go round the roundabout.