Shotgun for a woman

JackCrossland

Hello, I am just looking for a bit of an idea of which route to go down gun wise for my girlfriend as she has just started to get into clay pigeon shooting and after looking in a few shops we have become a little stuck on what to try.

She finds my gun too heavy but after shooting a couple of ‘ladies guns’ they seem to be a bit too light and much too short in the stock being 5’10 herself.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a shotgun that’s a relatively decent price? 

Breasts, bosoms, lady bumps or whatever you wish to call them might need to be taken into account. Not an attempt to get banned from P/W but to point out that many manufacturer's "ladies model" guns will be stocked slightly differently. That is the toe of the stock will be slightly further cast to allow for the woman's breast. So if you can perhaps try a standard gun by maker X, Y or Z and a "ladies model" you may find that it helps. Also as I am sure is known women often have a dominant left eye even though they are right handed it seems.

Avoid going too light. I did that when my daughter joined me at the age of 28. Started with a light 20 bore and it just wasn’t suitable. When we found a LH silver pigeon that fitted her at a little over 7lb it was perfect and she still has it. As said above ladies guns are generally stocked to suit there physical attributes.

Beretta do a ladies gun with a higher comb called a Vittoria as a lot of women need higher combs. Both in 12 and 20. But if your willing to spend a little on gun fit then the guns that have already been mentioned will do perfectly.  (She might even find one that fits) And definitely avoid going to light. Some women I know were put off by the recoil. Some women don't mind. A lot of clay grounds will let you try the gun first. 

2 hours ago, JackCrossland said:

Hello, I am just looking for a bit of an idea of which route to go down gun wise for my girlfriend as she has just started to get into clay pigeon shooting and after looking in a few shops we have become a little stuck on what to try.

She finds my gun too heavy but after shooting a couple of ‘ladies guns’ they seem to be a bit too light and much too short in the stock being 5’10 herself.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a shotgun that’s a relatively decent price? 

Go to any ground that has a Gun Shop on site and let them lend you something suitable.

Try BEFORE you buy.

My wife is 5ft 2in and 7.5 stone. She shoots a 12 bore Browning 425 grade 5 trap gun using 28gm cartridges. ALL the women trap shooters I know shoot 12 bore guns and 24 or 28gm cartridges depending on the discipline they're shooting. The majority will have had guns fitted to them. 

Late to the party on this.

My ex partner is 5' 10"/1.8 m ish, she started with a Betinsolli 12 bore with a gel pad to raise the comb height slightly.

My new partner is closer to 5' 2", she's got a Kofs 20 bore.

Most of the 'ladies' guns are lighter actions and a Monte Carlo style stock as ladies tend to have slightly higher cheek bones.  The most impressive one I handled when we were looking was actually the ATA ladies version, an ally action and not a bad stock for appreciably less than £800 new.  The Beretta Vitoria seemed good too, but as advised go to a shop with an attached clay ground and see what fits.

'Weight' is a funny thing, beginners especially, tend to be given a gun, hold it up for ages, feel the lactic acid building in their muscles, and think the gun is too heavy.  This of course reflects neither the reality of use in the field or on the clay ground.

I'd also caution against a semi auto, at least one at the cheaper end of the market.  In my experience, these struggle to cycle clay loads, and will actually kick more than a slightly heavier pigeon load.  Higher end gas system semi autos, or inertia driven ones (so for example a Beretta A400 and a Benelli respectively) tend to be very smooth on the shoulder, and indeed a lot of corporate day instructors use them for this reason.

Basically, find a 12bore that fits, albeit the mount will change as she gets more experienced.  Travel to a shop with a clay ground if you have to, make a day of it.

On 31/12/2023 at 19:39, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go to any ground that has a Gun Shop on site and let them lend you something suitable.

Try BEFORE you buy.

I have a lovely 20g silver pigeon, but it doesn't suit everyone. The advice above is defo golden.

I hate to tell you this she has a mind of her own!! Let her try lots of different guns go to a ground with a gun shop attached.  
spend some money on lesson with a good instructor they will develop her gun mount and advice on fit.  
Don’t rush into buying a gun.

If it’s for clays get a 12 bore, it needs to be balanced right and don’t go to lightweight it’ll increase the recoil.  

Loads of bad advice above IMHO and some good.  

But no one can tell you the best gun for anyone over the internet, body shape is huge in gun fit chest, shoulders, neck, cheekbones and eyes all play a part in the right gun. 

2 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

I hate to tell you this she has a mind of her own!! Let her try lots of different guns go to a ground with a gun shop attached.  
spend some money on lesson with a good instructor they will develop her gun mount and advice on fit.  
Don’t rush into buying a gun.

If it’s for clays get a 12 bore, it needs to be balanced right and don’t go to lightweight it’ll increase the recoil.  

Loads of bad advice above IMHO and some good.  

But no one can tell you the best gun for anyone over the internet, body shape is huge in gun fit chest, shoulders, neck, cheekbones and eyes all play a part in the right gun. 

Far too much common sense there WW. This is PW you know.

I have instructed a few hundred Women when I worked at several shooting grounds. Most, if not all, of these Women had never fired a gun before. I used my Beretta 391 'field' model semi auto, with a slightly shorter stock and a Beretta gel comb raiser. Coupled with 21 or 24 gram cartridges,  I never had anyone that did not want to continue shooting, beyond their allotted time slot. I have since seen several of these Women, now shooting their own guns at the grounds I visit. Book her a lesson with a good Instructor and don't rush into getting her a gun.