We Know It's Been Cold But It Is The Middle Of January

marsh man

Just watched the news and all they have been on about is how cold it have been , one reporter chucked a small bit of a branch on a frozen pond to show how thick the ice was and then said it /have been the coldest day for , wait for it , a half of a decade , why on earth couldn't he say , the coldest day for five years , then to top it all , our local weather girl said we have got another Yellow weather warning tonight for frost and maybe a sprinkling of snow , are we getting soft , or what ?       MM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have yet to report even a frost in dersingham.........dont put the heating on till 3 oclock...........if the sun is shining ...i open the curtains on the big french windows and within a shortwhile its 23 degs in the sittingroom.....

I’ve been doing crop protection for the last 3 days. Farmer is flat out sowing wheat and beans, it’s pay back time for summer pigeon shooting.  It’s cold even down here. I’ve worked hard to keep the rooks off and my reward when I get home is a mug of hot tea and a slice of Dundee cake in front of the wood stove. It’s mid January, what do people expect, the worst of winter has just started. The media always makes an issue out of nothing. You might start worrying when there are red weather warnings but probably not.

It was -7 when I went to work the other day. I got in my car and thought 'huh, it's -7'. I then drove through the countryside without incident, where I met many people who had likewise driven through the countryside without incident. 

It's driven so much by the media. Everything has to be sensationalised. They must inform, they must educate. But if people have got to adulthood and haven't learnt that in winter it's chilly, then there's no hope for them anyway.

Its been minus 5 at night for a few days here now not rising above freezing during the day  our heating comes on from 8 till 9 am them 5 till 6 pm at night i have started wearing socks for the first time in months about the house , But i am sure folk as old as me can remember this happening before it comes round in cycles ,

I grew up in Yorkshire in the 1980’s - we had proper snow and it were proper cold. These days we just don’t seem to get the weather we used to. Mind you, I live in South Wales now and we rarely get snow. For me I love the cold weather. Don’t have to wash the dogs down after a walk which is a massive bonus.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Must be “global warming”.

when its hot and the world is burning and Greece is "flambe"....its global warming

when everyone is freezing their nick nacks off its global DIMMING...

keep up with the science now at the back

43 minutes ago, dabbers said:

-14 in the cairngorms last night and -10 .on the fenwick moor on the road to Glasgow,,.cold but its been colder a few years ago,,

Pretty sure your winning 👍

Back to the caravan tonight and the clock temp is LLL, that just means it very cold, only-3°C when I got back at 8pm.

Up to 9.4°C now with the heater on for an hour.

Car will be frozen in the morning,  or now 😅

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Pretty sure your winning 👍

Back to the caravan tonight and the clock temp is LLL, that just means it very cold, only-3°C when I got back at 8pm.

Up to 9.4°C now with the heater on for an hour.

Car will be frozen in the morning,  or now 😅

ah that word caravan ,we had a holiday static ,was cold in the winter even with gas central heating,,,

The thing is that these Yellow weather warnings are becoming meaningless , who pay any attention to them , after the bad weather didn't get within 75 / 100 from the county they then say on the box the next night that we were lucky because it didn't come as far South as they first thought , well if they had got there prediction right then we wouldn't had got the warning in the first place, and then the poor weatherman wouldn't have had to stand in a slight breeze and light rain to warn you to stay in unless it was vital to go out in the predicted storm force winds and the type of heavy rain you would normally see in the rain forest . should be back into double figures by the weekend .

23 minutes ago, dabbers said:

ah that word caravan ,we had a holiday static ,was cold in the winter even with gas central heating,,,

They can be fun in winter, and summer 😅😅

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The thing is that these Yellow weather warnings are becoming meaningless

Yep, we know it's going to be cold, wet or both 😁😅

Well we haven't had any snow down here and  today was lovely blue sky and if you could find somewhere out of the wind and in the  sun it was really very pleasant BUT. IF you were in the shade and wind it was hyper cold.  I  was out first thing for about an hour and my face cheeks and lips were numb like I'd been to the dentist for a filling.

Roll on global warming. 

Edited by Minky

On 17/01/2024 at 18:31, marsh man said:

Just watched the news and all they have been on about is how cold it have been , one reporter chucked a small bit of a branch on a frozen pond to show how thick the ice was and then said it /have been the coldest day for , wait for it , a half of a decade , why on earth couldn't he say , the coldest day for five years , then to top it all , our local weather girl said we have got another Yellow weather warning tonight for frost and maybe a sprinkling of snow , are we getting soft , or what ?       MM

We became soft after the 90s The wet lettice woke generation is now in charge.