Tragic news

I have just been informed by a friend of mine that his friend and farmer was killed yesterday whilst in the field at night calving a cow. 

He was shot by his friend who mistook him for a fox he died at tge scene, this is awful and thoughts go out to all involved and his family

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Very tragic, but how does this play out, surely you can recognise a human and a fox at night , it is not the first time this has happened 

that's absolutely shocking news and diabolical shooting ethics that were shown by the perpetrator.

what happened to definitive identification of your target which is doubly important at night.

If true then that's tragic and really does highlight that they aren't toys and users shouldn't just be shooting at heat signatures without first being 100% of what they are shooting at. 

Better it gets away for next time than potentially losing it all and spending a few years behind bars. 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Very tragic, but how does this play out, surely you can recognise a human and a fox at night , it is not the first time this has happened 

When everyone used a lamp too many idiots thought it was OK to shoot at eyes. Now I suppose those same people are shooting at heat signatures.

Where do it say it was a Thermal scope that was used its besides the point if it was or wasn't identification is paramount 

Very sad indeed      i shoot Thermal and i really can't see how you can mistake a human for anything but a human 

11 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Where do it say it was a Thermal scope that was used its besides the point if it was or wasn't identification is paramount 

Very sad indeed      i shoot Thermal and i really can't see how you can mistake a human for anything but a human 

Yep, a lot of it going on and hence the old safety poster - "Don't Assume CHECK".

I would imagine that perhaps if the cow was down and the farmer down with it, there may well have been insufficient 'human' showing for a positive ID whatever illumination was in use.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, a lot of it going on and hence the old safety poster - "Don't Assume CHECK".

I would imagine that perhaps if the cow was down and the farmer down with it, there may well have been insufficient 'human' showing for a positive ID whatever illumination was in use.

If you had a cow down calving you would have a massive  heat sauce impossible  to be  mistaken for a small heat sauce like a fox 

19 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

It doesn't but you can assume as such with thermal and NV being modern tools of the trade. NV provides a pretty clear image of what your shooting at whereas one is more likely to misuse thermal, shoot through hedges, cover etc.. 

It's not difficult to envisage a scenario in which someone who has become complacent and has taken risks previously by shooting at heat signatures through hedges, reeds etc can mistake a partial signature of a person for that of a fox. More so that if the person thought they were on the path to be the hero that shot a fox as it was preying on a birthing calf. 

It just highlights the requirement for us to check ourselves every now and then and remind ourselves that rifles aren't playthings and there is no rewind button. Once that trigger is pulled there is no recalling that shot and there is no do-over. If you're able to shoot with the mindset that if you **** up then you're in for a lot of trouble and that it's always better to not take a questionable shot and be able to talk about the one that got away rather than talk of regret of pulling that trigger. But that can sometimes be lost in the heat of the moment. 

38 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

As I said identifying any target is parromount but you won't misstake a cow for a fox if you are shooting  through hedges you are not a safe shot

Agreed. I would have thought that the cow would have been readily identified and was thinking that a partially hidden human could have been mistaken for a fox after the afterbirth or whatever.

48 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

This was on one of my permissions. Can I ask people to not speculate on what happened please. 

Agreed , until we know all the facts , let's just leave it as a tragic accident as it will be leaving a lot of people grieving about this sad loss  .    MM

50 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

This was on one of my permissions. Can I ask people to not speculate on what happened please. 

Was you there or is it  that there is multiple shooters on this permission  if you was there you have got a better understanding of this incident 

This is localish to me and after Nev /walker570 telling me yesterday I just felt so upset for both parties. 
The loss for the family is devastating and the thought of taking a fellow humans life is also devastating. 
I can’t imagine how the shooter feels .

rip .