Gas Guzzling SUV's to be Priced Out of Parking in Paris

TIGHTCHOKE

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting to see that the Mayor of Paris is starting to target big, heavy gas guzzling SUV's within Paris.

High parking charges are proposed.

I think he's got more than those to worry about if the farmers block paris off. 

The French love to have a good protest. 

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting to see that the Mayor of Paris is starting to target big, heavy gas guzzling SUV's within Paris.

apparantly the charges for SUV parking in Paris is to be put at £200/day.............what is worrying is Khan has already spent £20 million of a projected £150 million on pay to drive/buy the mile for London

On 04/02/2024 at 07:29, mellors said:

I think he's got more than those to worry about if the farmers block paris off. 

The French love to have a good protest. 

She is responsible for banning those awful scooters from the city.

She feels it is unneccessary to bring big heavy SUV's with one occupant in to the city.

All VERY interesting.

In fact it seems top be all (oil fuelled and hybrid) vehicles over 1.6 tons and electric vehicles over 2 tons. 

That would also include things like Mercedes E class (and bigger) and BMW 5 series and similar larger 'normal' cars.

A point I note, I have a 2013 L200, getting 30mpg... big car, aerodynamics of a brick and I give it the beans. However the wife's car doesn't get much more than this, nor the parents Q5. run of the mill larger cars much of a muchness in consumption (my own observation, this could be complete horse sh!t to everyone else). Just an attack on the cash cow that is the modern motorist, electric, hybrid or standard ICE.

On 04/02/2024 at 07:17, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I heard the equivalent of £15 per hour

Yet as of the end of 2023 the Paris public transport vehicle fleet was still 46% diesel fueled with 6,675 diesel fueled busses serving the Paris metropolitan area. Just 10% of them were zero emission with 1,536 zero emission buses. The rest is made up of light rail, metro and heavy rail vehicles of non-disclosed fuel types. 

Localised governments should be leading from the front and not just attacking the private user because its fashionable amongst the inner-city voter.

I understand the Paris proposal includes all vehicles of a certain size/ weight category and is purely a 'we hate your expensive, heavy and supposedly polluting private cars' attack on people for whom the alternatives don't stack up unless you penalise them with punitive charges and taxes. 

2 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

I understand the Paris proposal includes all vehicles of a certain size/ weight category and is purely a 'we hate your expensive, heavy and supposedly polluting private cars' attack on people for whom the alternatives don't stack up unless you penalise them with punitive charges and taxes. 

The French have in the past had a MUCH higher tax rate on engines over about 2.9 litres.  Hence there are no (or very very few) French cars with engines bigger than that.

Most other makers have made versions with smaller engines (usually around 2.8 litres) to meet the lower French tax bracket.  Examples would be;

• Jaguar, who had a 2.8 version of the original XJ model
  • Mercedes who had 280 (2.8) versions of many models from S, SL and SLK etc which had bigger engines
  • Rover who had the 2600 to supplement the 3500

Paris is clearly delineated, as Departement 75, by, effectively, the Boulevard Peripherique save for a bit stuck outside to the south-east. It is these people that live within that boundary that were entitled to vote. And they have decided to vote that people living OUTSIDE of that boundary (so therefore non-Parisiens) will pay these charges. Having worked in Paris from 1999 onwards and living there from 2002-2006 and outside from 2015 to 2019 I'd agree. Paris is very congested and, as French car number plates carry the departemental number on it, these affected SUV vehicles will be those that are coming in from outside the city. There's little worse than sitting in a bus (Paris buses are excellent) behind SUV after SUV after SUV none of which are owned by people living in the city! And ditto if you can't find a place to park your car as all the spaces are occupied by folk coming in to Paris. So, yes, I'd agree with that. There's a lot Hildago has done that I don't agree with...she's caused congestion by permanently closing the Pompidou Expressway...but on this and banning electric scooters people are very much in agreement with her.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, London Best said:

100% correct! 
I could not agree more. 
Worst form of transport ever devised. 
I refuse to do it.

It's not the vehicle that is the issue. From a technical standpoint busses as machines are quite interesting. 

The problem is the people who you have to share the vehicle with. Only once it took me having to share a 30 minute bus ride next a man who I can only assume hadn't showered or even washed his *** for a week, had smoked a thousand cigarettes and drank a gallon of cider while waiting for the bus to make me reconsider my choice and take the car instead. 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

100% correct! 
I could not agree more. 
Worst form of transport ever devised. 
I refuse to do it.

Oh! Go on, join the twirlies. You know what, you might like the experience.