State Pension

steve_b_wales

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/02/2024 at 20:03, oowee said:

The pension like all benefits should be based on levels of subsistence. Anything over that should be paid out of pension savings made during working life. Why should pensioners get paid more benefit than those on job seekers allowance? 

pension is not a benefit 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

If your lucky, you may find yourself a pensioner one day, I wonder if you'll be so flippent then.

Pensioners are vulnerable, if inflation causes them to find their living expenses unaffordable, or them needing care or help in the home due to the lack of government assistance, due to underfunding, they can't simply go back to work to make more money. When we as a country can pay billions for illegal immigrants, we should be looking after our pensioners.

Good Post👍

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Your comment went over my head, I didn't read it as a joke, the joys of speaking via Internet 👍

I already do via the serious amount of tax I pay 👌

There was a post that had 'bare' spelt as 'bear', hence the bear related joke.

Edited by Penelope

17 hours ago, Cosmicblue said:

Having retired last year and started drawing the state pension from  September (month following my 66th birthday) I was surprised to find that it is paid in full (i.e. no tax deducted) - every 4 weeks.  HMRC, who never miss a trick then deduct the tax for it from other pension income.  

That is exactly right , my state pension isn't touched by the taxman , but my small private pension which is less than £50 a month is cut in half , half to me and the other half to the taxman .     MM

On 20/02/2024 at 20:03, oowee said:

The pension like all benefits should be based on levels of subsistence. Anything over that should be paid out of pension savings made during working life. Why should pensioners get paid more benefit than those on job seekers allowance? 

Few 'Jobseekers' loosely termed, would have worked and funded other peoples pensions for well over 40 years, as said elsewhere a full basic pension has been contributed to, a jobseekers allowance only may have been contributed to.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Few 'Jobseekers' loosely termed, would have worked and funded other peoples pensions for well over 40 years, as said elsewhere a full basic pension has been contributed to, a jobseekers allowance only may have been contributed to.

Correct  Dave .

3 hours ago, terence said:

pension is not a benefit 

? Worth having and not paid for (by most) is a benefit? The cost of an index linked annuity at 66 to buy the state pension would be around £200k. The payments come from the social security benefits budget.

The payment is a universal benefit. 

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

JSA is not payable unless you have contributed class 1 NI. Most pensioners like most JSA claimants are likely (i guess as its short term) to have contributed proportionally  more for the return than the average pensioner has contributed for their pension. 

My point rather than looking at contributions is about the value. If the pension payment is considered the minimum to keep people out of poverty then why is it not applied as a minimum universally? 

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Here’s the real question: how much pension do you really need to get for a standard of living that’s reasonable? 

I know it’ll always differ based on spending habits. 

From the Grauniad

The annual income you will need in retirement

Living standard Single Couple
Minimum
£12,800 £19,900
Moderate
£23,300 £34,000
Comfortable
£37,300 £54,500

Source: Loughborough University and the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association. London figures higher

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Here’s the real question: how much pension do you really need to get for a standard of living that’s reasonable? 

I know it’ll always differ based on spending habits. 

My house is paid for,car too,so it’s just all the usual bills,council tax of £1250 a year being the biggest.I tend to spend about £9,000 a year in total out of my £12,500 pensions, so some left over for luxuries if I wish.

44 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

My house is paid for,car too,so it’s just all the usual bills,council tax of £1250 a year being the biggest.I tend to spend about £9,000 a year in total out of my £12,500 pensions, so some left over for luxuries if I wish.

Manage to live fine just off a state pension then? 

Or you have a private one as well and that covers weekly shop etc too? 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

Manage to live fine just off a state pension then? 

Or you have a private one as well and that covers weekly shop etc too? 

Yes,state pension is currently £10,600,and my private pension is almost £2,000, will probably start paying £15 a month income tax after April,ridiculous on such a low income!

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

From the Grauniad

The annual income you will need in retirement

Living standard Single Couple
Minimum
£12,800 £19,900
Moderate
£23,300 £34,000
Comfortable
£37,300 £54,500

Source: Loughborough University and the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association. London figures higher

I wonder if those figures are gross or nett of tax?

1 hour ago, shaun4860 said:

I’m in favour of this 👍

:shaun:

It's a con job! Stop working through ill health before you receive your state pension and you will be on Universal Credit. This gives free dental treatment and a number of other advantages such as the possibility of help with home insulation and heating, Council Tax reduction and etc.. Even if you monthly universal credit is only £10. If you receive state pension you lose those automatic rights. So the con job is by you taking state pension early you lose those advantages. Never trust a Tory Chancellor when it comes to benefits and pensions. So by letting the sick "retire early" they will be potentially worse off.

Just now, TOPGUN749 said:

They conveniently don’t say if it’s gross or nett income,and the figures don’t make much sense generally.

Thats the Guardian for you.  There are lots of other similar 'estimates', but as has been said above, everybody has different ideas of what they want.

I know I am quite 'extravagant' in some areas, but 'frugal' in others.

1 hour ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Yes,state pension is currently £10,600,and my private pension is almost £2,000, will probably start paying £15 a month income tax after April,ridiculous on such a low income!

how come you state pension is £10,600/annum....?

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

That is exactly right , my state pension isn't touched by the taxman , but my small private pension which is less than £50 a month is cut in half , half to me and the other half to the taxman .     MM

I worked since i was 15 had two private pensions got laid off with ill health at 60 i thought we would of been fine but i only see one pension the tax man takes most of my second pension , but there are ways round it