Ripped off at P.O.

billytheghillie

When they "Lost" my FAC and then sent the empty envelope onto Staff's police (who signed for an empty envelope), I immediately emailed them to enquire as to how the hell my FAC had been removed from the envelope and then the empty envelope had been sent on.

The muppet on the other end wanted to know if I had insured it, which of course it should have been as it had to be signed for at the other end. After a dozen or so emails either way I finally received one telling me that I was not entitled to compensation because I had not taken a photo of the letter before posting it. 

Never hear such BS in all my life. No further emails were answered.

Edited by Graham M

I’m confused as to why people are still bothering to pay extra for signed for /special delivery.

Firstly, it hasn’t been “a thing” since the Covid madness. Secondly, it only draws attention to the letter anyway.

Just post in regular mail. Obtain proof of posting if it makes you feel better.

11 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Mrs went to PO to post a D1 form, enclosed in normal size brown envelope was, D1 form, driving licence and marriage cert for change of name. How much to post?  £7.35p. I was fuming, what a rip off.

How much would it have cost you to drive the form to the delivery address.. just curious... 

We went to a sub post office yesterday who hadn't a clue so ended up getting a bus to the main post office in the town according to the internet they treated it differently and still made a mess of it . Still got a nice Turkish shave lunch and a couple of pints at  Weatherspoon's  out of it before i try to sort it out on the computer today .

Folk are saying boycott the post office after the recent scandal , but the postmasters are saying its run by normal people trying to make a living 

I just posted my driving licence renewal-£2.75 signed for. Its not a rip off if you choose to use that service and know the price before you pay. As shooting egg said-how much would it cost to drive there? you could have just posted it and got proof of posting.

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I’m confused as to why people are still bothering to pay extra for signed for /special delivery.

Firstly, it hasn’t been “a thing” since the Covid madness. Secondly, it only draws attention to the letter anyway.

I use it because I know it won’t get delivered on time..  I then fill out an online form and get ALL my money back, free postage for a few minutes filling out an online form 😁

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

How much would it have cost you to drive the form to the delivery address.. just curious... 

I nearly put that earlier 🤣🤣 plus the time involved,  I'm not saying it's perfect but....

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

We went to a sub post office yesterday who hadn't a clue so ended up getting a bus to the main post office in the town according to the internet they treated it differently and still made a mess of it . Still got a nice Turkish shave lunch and a couple of pints at  Weatherspoon's  out of it before i try to sort it out on the computer today .

Folk are saying boycott the post office after the recent scandal , but the postmasters are saying its run by normal people trying to make a living 

Nice little trip out 👍

And the Scandal isn't recent either, so their punishing people who weren't involved 🤔

I post very little,  the little flap they have that an envelope is supposed to fit through does make me laugh, because as a lad I delivered free papers so I know what I can get through a letter box, like the birthday card my wife got, but had to go and collect and pay for, a flat card that was apparently a large letter,  still flat and would go through a letter box any way around,  but it would have been a couple of hours out to go and post it.

13 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Mrs went to PO to post a D1 form, enclosed in normal size brown envelope was, D1 form, driving licence and marriage cert for change of name. How much to post?  £7.35p. I was fuming, what a rip off.

That sounds like Guaranteed Next Day which is a special delivery channel and more of less guarantees it'll get there.

20 minutes ago, Red696 said:

I use it because I know it won’t get delivered on time..  I then fill out an online form and get ALL my money back, free postage for a few minutes filling out an online form 😁

And you sir are why I'll be working till my 80s, and you're probably retired.  Honestly would never have occurred to me, nor would I have considered it worth my time.

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Folk are saying boycott the post office after the recent scandal ,

Which, for anyone below the age of 50, is a bit like asking them to boycott the milliners, the milkman or the dry cleaners.

It doesn't figure on their radar, it isn't used.  PO's will disappear.  Signed for/Special delivery or whatever is pointless, and as for sending packages there's a whole host of options.  Including your postman (so Royal Mail rather than the post office) collecting them from your doorstep.

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

We went to a sub post office yesterday who hadn't a clue so ended up getting a bus to the main post office in the town

I mean, any excuse for a pint and all, but what fiendishly complex task were you trying to entrust your local PO with?  Reminds me of this

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I post 4-5 parcels a week special delivery, they always get there by 1pm the next day or 9 am if i need it there for the morning and even saturday delivery always gets there on time, everyone who handles the parcel signs for it so they know where it is in the system, and the basic insurance on it is £700 which beats any courier by a long way for the price, and to add more insurance is very good as well.You can also track the item online.

Regular mail , you take your risk, no one will know who stole it or where it was stolen

13 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And you sir are why I'll be working till my 80s, and you're probably retired.  Honestly would never have occurred to me, nor would I have considered it worth my time.

Which, for anyone below the age of 50, is a bit like asking them to boycott the milliners, the milkman or the dry cleaners.

It doesn't figure on their radar, it isn't used.  PO's will disappear.  Signed for/Special delivery or whatever is pointless, and as for sending packages there's a whole host of options.  Including your postman (so Royal Mail rather than the post office) collecting them from your doorstep.

I mean, any excuse for a pint and all, but what fiendishly complex task were you trying to entrust your local PO with?  Reminds me of this

nope not retired I have another 11 years to go, that’s if my treatment works out.

you will only be working until 80 if you haven’t made the right choices…

1 hour ago, stu64 said:

I just posted my driving licence renewal-£2.75 signed for. Its not a rip off if you choose to use that service and know the price before you pay. As shooting egg said-how much would it cost to drive there? you could have just posted it and got proof of posting.

Folk cant believe i still have my old paper licence , when we got stopping in Johannesburg the officer had to take it to her superior  LOL to get the okay as she had never seen one before , but i am not paying to renew it ever is it 10 years 

15 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

So you allowed the sales staff to sell you a premium service which is signed for at every step of its journey and it is guaranteed to be delivered the next day before mid day when you could have used regular signed for or tracked 24 for less, the mistake was yours by not questioning alternative services and making an informed choice for the service you required  :whistling: .

11 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Drive!  Ha Ha, Kelso to Swansea for £7, dont think so.

7 hours ago, sportsbob said:

So you allowed the sales staff to sell you a premium service which is signed for at every step of its journey and it is guaranteed to be delivered the next day before mid day when you could have used regular signed for or tracked 24 for less, the mistake was yours by not questioning alternative services and making an informed choice for the service you required  :whistling: .

Read the post, not my mistake, the Mrs.