Anyone seeing any number of Magpies yet?

Salop Matt

As above really, am looking for my airgun sport but am just not seeing many magpies about currently. I thought they would be out and about claimimg nesting sites soon and they also seem to put in an appearence on sheep pasture when the lambs go out scavaging, but they dont seem to be about much currently.

Whats the magpie activity like around you ?

ATB

Matt

Edited by salop sniper

Back in January at dusk I was coming out of our shoot along a track near a disused quarry where I know they roost and I couldn't believe my eyes. They were flying past in groups of 10-15 at a time and dropping in to the quarry, I counted roughly 60-70. In the same spot the shepherd has spread silage out for the sheep and they are always rooting about in it, a dozen or so at a time every day I go past. Hopefully when the pastures recover and they don't need the silage he'll move the sheep off that bit, then I'm going to have a cull.

Got a few dead ones in the freezer from last year. Never tried them on a flapper or magnet before, does anyone know if that's a viable approach? I'll probably try it anyway just out of curiosity...

Edited by Jim Neal

They are third from the bottom of the Premiership and in danger of relegation.

At least I know what you are talking about JD!!

As above really, am looking for my airgun sport but am just not seeing many magpies about currently. I thought they would be out and about claimimg nesting sites soon and they also seem to put in an appearence on sheep pasture when the lambs go out scavaging, but they dont seem to be about much currently.

Whats the magpie activity like around you ?

ATB

Matt

Too ------ many round Dunmow. One less this week though.....

Plenty around here, in the cemetery and a small wood nearby. However the council (liebour) own them both so no way are they going to allow shooting of any kind or Larsen traps. They won't even allow allotment holders to shoot scaly tails. plus its out in the suburbs so shooting would not be an option anyhow.

Only way I can get them is if they land in my garden when I am set up and ready. As I have offed around 40 odd in the last couple of years the mags generally give my bit of land a wide berth.

Still, might get some out of this years hatch in a couple of months while they are still green.