Norfolk Gun Dealer locked up!!

norfolk dumpling

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a couple of young tyros in the rifle club over 50 years ago who declared themselves to be '***, for the defence of Weymouth in the event of alien attack'. One of them was a member of a prominent local business family and later became a Town Councillor. It was a time when there was a lot of ex-WW2 weaponry floating about.

I think he would be very lucky to get less than 10 years . Tony has been around the shooting world for many years . He was heavily involved in rifle and pistol shooting in Norfolk for longer than I can remember .I bought a couple of pistols off him and always got a good deal . It's just a shame that he has finished up where he is . His motive would have been profit and proberbly being a good old boy supplying the off ticket collectors . I bet there are a few more bums twitching .I am sorry but I don't have any sympathy for him or any of the off ticket collectors who caught with illegal firearms .

Harnser

It's all a bit weird. It's not as though the guns were being funnelled through to some operation trident types or that they had any bodies connected to them.

It's nutty collectors that become obsessional like the mad egg collectors caught climbing trees to get an egg off a red kite.

The laws the law and if nutty collector got burgled who knows where that lot could end up.

It's all very sad, but he'll be packing the larger sized wash bag for sentencing.

Edited by Mungler

I can get my head around this - ok we all have a love of guns and several of us have more than Joe Public would like but we stick within the law and enjoy our sport. Why would you want to amass the largest illegal collection of firearms/ammunition even found in the uk? Was he completely off his head. And shouldn't Buckland have realised he was dealing witha nut? How did this get to this stage without the police knowing? Makes you wonder who else might be out there doing likewise.

ND

Was he a nut or just a bit overly enthusiastic in his collecting?

I didn't read anywhere that he committed any other crimes other than the illegal possession! Wasn't a thief? A paedophile or such like.

So if by being a compulsive collector your a 'nutcase' then my 3yo must be sectioned for collecting everything 'hulk'

Yes, he was 'in the wrong' for sure and I won't / can't condone his actions.

ND

Was he a nut or just a bit overly enthusiastic in his collecting?

I didn't read anywhere that he committed any other crimes other than the illegal possession! Wasn't a thief? A paedophile or such like.

So if by being a compulsive collector your a 'nutcase' then my 3yo must be sectioned for collecting everything 'hulk'

Yes, he was 'in the wrong' for sure and I won't / can't condone his actions.

Indeed, had he been a yank you would think he was simply normal.

I have to say I'm surprised how the law works at times with antique and obsolete calibers. All sorts come through our warehouse under these regs that I would never believe would be legal. Our shipping bods are under some odd idea that none would work.........

Was chatting with a mate who's a copper and is very friendly with a current Norfolk FEO about this.

Apparently 2 FEOs have 'retired' since this all came out (I'm guessing being fired may effect their pensions so walked before pushed) the guy has also turned up at military ceremonies like remeberance day with a chest full of medals, which he bought!! This sort of thing doesn't sit well with me especially!!! There's more that will come out in sentencing to do with his past which couldn't be mentioned during the case.

Doesn't sound like a particularly stable guy to me, he may well be a wrong un, but he may well not quite be well balanced up top!! Im sure it'll come out in time.

I've just had first hand experience of one of these off ticket gun collectors. Without going into too much detail at this stage since its an active investigation, it was shocking how many weapons he had. I lived one house away from him, for twenty years. About 15 years ago I started to have run-ins with him. He was a typical bully and blowhard, especially when confronting the fairer sex on their own. The chat I had with him a year or so ago, was over threatening to shoot my missus. I knew he had held a SGC, but that turned out to be the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway he went off the deep end and thankfully never took anyone else with him. I do wonder though, what would have happened had he seen me at the time he was ending it all with an off ticket handgun.

As firearms holders we may not agree with the law, but we do comply. I think most serving Police officers would agree, where you find one law disregarded, you find others.

I for one am glad this Norfolk chap is off the streets. The firearms he supplied could have found their way into the hands of any old scrote. I'd bet a pound to a pinch of salt, any theft from the "collector" wouldn't have been reported to the police.

Atb

Edited by achosenman

A neighbour of mine is/was a buddy of Buckland and similarly had a thing about all matters military - any excuse to wear his one medal or occasionally his dads. Flys a flag in his garden - union flag with the odd St George's Cross according to the celebrations occurring. Lazy *****r who seems to work one day a week letting his wife work long hours. Writing a book about some obscur WW2 battle. Had a couple of illegal guns - a .22 pistol and short barrelled garden gun - but a copper neighbour advised him to hand these to FEO. Whether this happened or if Buckland got them who knows. Walter Mitty (or Captain Mainwaring??) comes to mind.

• 1 month later...

He seems to have got off very lightly . I would have thought that he should have got at least 10 years . Perhaps his ill health had a bearing on the sentence . Tony was always a bit of a Walter Mitty and seemed to attract and befriend some very weird people (who were gun owners ) at the horsford range . They had their own little club within the main club ,called the twenties club . This club was by invitation only and did have some real weirdos . I think that he is. Very lucky man only receiving a 6 year sentence . I don't think that the police enquiries have finished on this one and I am sure that their are a few more bums twitching .

Harnser

A former friend of mine is/was a buddy of Bucklands and I must say former friend is a bit of a weirdo - even though he spent a few years as an army driver to hear him speak you would think he was the commander in chief. He has a flag pole in his garden and celebrates every military anniversary with different flags. He has also written a couple of books on obscure battles he claims his father was involved in - both bombed.

I was invited to a BBQ at his house a few years back and Buckland was attending - I was told he was ex-SAS which I think is in doubt now - and i declined but the next day I visited his house and garden was dressed up like a monument to the Falklands!! Apparently a few ex-military turned up to reminisce/get ******. He (ex-friend) got chucked out of a small game shooting syndicate a few years back, for various indiscretions including dangerous behaviour, and the next day he stopped saying hello - just blanked me in the lane and has not spoken since. Very odd behaviour - cant believe he has a gun licence.