baikal cartridges

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

where did you buy them in Merthyr ?

only shop I remember was the sports shop in town that sold shells and airguns .

Wasn't in Merthyr it was from a sports shop in Northwood Hills in Middx which I went past on my way to school. My association with Merthyr has only been very recent.

I can remember the muzzle flash from the green paper cased Baikal cartridges, I never thought that the recoil was excessive but certainly plenty confetti fluttering down. Sellior and Belliot on the other hand certainly had a kick about them compared with the Eley the standard of the time.

Blackpowder

I have fired many of the pink Baikal shells , and couldn't really fault them , cheap and did the job.

Years ago I was given a pack that split folded down the middle 5 each side. These were the pink ones and I used them in my AyA 25 that is a lightweight. Generally I would use the Eley Impax in I oz or the Grand prix in 1-1/16. I thought that the pink Baikal’s were a nice cartridge that weren’t a flash bang jobby like an anti tank round. When fired they had more of a slower bang as opposed to the crack of the Eleys. They burn cleanly and were a good cartridge. If they were still available I’d buy them. My mate with the Franchi auto would buy the black ones, which were aggressive. They really reached out and knocked stuff down.

cut my teeth at my first clay club aged 15-sold for .......£7.50 a 100.

much better than the s and b that used to chuck a load of newspaper as wadding.

as for pigeons-never used to get many walking wounded either

duck flighting was good fun as flames would vent out the side /bottom of your gun.

f.

Brilliant thread.

I was brought up on baikal shells.

I remember my first ever 2 shots at a big pack of wigeon at Lindisfarne over 30 years ago. I was temporarily blinded by the flash but the dog went out and brought 3 ducks back!

Also, my first ever 100+ pigeon bag was with them. I had what felt like concussion for days after and I'm sure my hearing hasn't been the same since!

Cracking killing shells though.

Character builders.

I used Baikal cartridges when I first started pigeon shooting about 35 years ago. The kids were young and I didn't have much money to invest in guns and cartridges, so I used these cartridges through a Baikal O/U shotgun.

The recoil was horrendous and the confetti and spouts of flame out of the barrel were quite amazing. Especially if you were roost shooting and it was getting dark.

In spring and summer on occasions when I would shoot a lot of cartridges, I had to take a strip of headache tablets with me. If the shooting was good I always had a throbbing headache half way through the day and had to pump myself full of Anadins to keep going.

The cartridges killed okay and the gun worked faultlessly for about 25 years.

• 1 year later...

There is a guy on freeads that is selling off a load of these, its too far down south for me but if anybody wants to re live the glory of them.....

Dont know if im allowed to link the ad?

They look in really good nick too!

Go on, it could do someone a favour!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

The first ones I ever bought were in a Green square box of ten for 5/0d , or 50p in you cant remember what five shillings was , I believe they had a dog and cross guns on the box.

The last ones I bought were from Bazooka in Beccles ( Suffolk ) for £40 a 1000 , and they came in a wooden crate , excellent cartridges .... Happy days .

what sticks in my memory was the loudness of the bang ..................while standing behind the shooting line spectating you always knew who was using them as the " bang " was 5x louder than everyone else followed by the size of flame from the barrel and the length of time it took to get your barrels clean again ..............brilliant :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: