Red kite

Good shot?

I was out for the crows today and had a few down when I saw what I thought was a Buzzard approaching, as it neared me it became obvious it was a Red Kite and what a stunning bird it is. It passed within twenty yards.I know they are quite common in some areas now but I have never seen one prior to today.

Has anyone else seen one near this area.(10 miles or so from Chester)

No where near Chester but theres a red kite in Harrogate that's living in a built up area. I often see it gliding around while driving through town. Its a magnificent bird and from what I understand they used to regularly live alongside settlements ....and its thriving on a diet of kfc and kebabs.

See them all of the time flying over Oxford, including the suburbs where I live. Lots of traffic so lots of road kill for them to eat - the Crows in the park all gang up and chase the Kites away whenever they come near. Red Kites are magnificent birds, I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching them.

No where near Chester but theres a red kite in Harrogate that's living in a built up area. I often see it gliding around while driving through town. Its a magnificent bird and from what I understand they used to regularly live alongside settlements ....and its thriving on a diet of kfc and kebabs.

I sometimes throw a dead rabbit on the garage roof for them. No idea though if the Kites or cats take them.

Used to be called **** hawks as they were very common in towns and cities scavenging on food waste in the days before rubbish collection and general sewerage systems. Got a few in Norfolk now which are nice to see but is it worrying - do they take games etc?

One stole my Monopoly but totally ignored my Cluedo, so a bit selective on games!

I think they are a fantastic looking bird, but they are big Jessie's really, very much a scavenger and not so likely to go after adult game sized birds. They would go after chicks and poults though.

If that is a genuine pic then it can't possibly be sustainable.

A few here, possibly the odd Buzzard as well.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=ed210ae37ba46ea1425033282795dc9f&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=307606&p=2780596&md5check=148dcf0c6cea5341a43ee1cdb38439f8&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,2yo7UdODlrg'); //]]></script>kite1.jpg&&0

This picture looks familiar the sad part is you told me were it was and i cant remember, is it Llanthingy in mid Wales at the feeding station or Cornwall