Cecil the Lion - merged threads

hollidca

I do not believe for one moment that this worthless individual was stitched up, he was not carried blindfolded into the bush, no he would have carefully examined the creature through the lenses of his very expensive binoculars to see if it was a worthwhile trophy and one would assume in the process then have seen the tracking collar. I notice that he has a history in this type of behaviour, I sincerely hope that because of his wanton act of killing this magnificent local icon that the rest of his life turns to dog-#### and that he is left in despair for the rest of his days. :unhappy:

I say old chap despair for the rest of his days? tho i agree with the sentiment thats a tad strong

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im appalled that it costs that much to go to university ! ;)

:) While it's not my cup of tea and I think he used the wrong tool for the job and the meat was wasted, I don't really feel I'm in any position to judge.

If the shooter killed the animal knowing what he was doing was illegal, then he should be prosecuted, as the poachers will be. Money talks, I'm afraid. Big game hunting, whether canned or poaching, has always attracted big money. It's the world we live in. Are we outraged because it was a lion, because it was a friendly lion, or because it was carried out illegally? Big game is killed on a regular basis for big money, and like I say, whilst there are people willing to pay good money to do so, there will be people willing to supply.

If breeds are rare then they should be farmed for their meat; if Panda steaks were a speciality food then they wouldn't be on the endangered list.

I pay good money to shoot pheasant each season. People pay to go pigeon decoying, goose shooting and deer stalking.

Nobody gives a stuff as to how rats are dealt with, but catch a fox or lion in the right pose looking irresistibly cute and you're in for much criticism if you intend it harm.

No one is forcing anyone on here to kill anything, but many on here actively seek quarry to kill.

I see Piers Morgan and Ricky Gervais are leading the celebrity moral outrage.....again.

I gather he's a big trophy hunter with bear, leopard, buffalo, moose, rhino etc to his credit. The bear was, apparently, shot in slightly illegal circumstances. There's a big web campaign, twitter etc, to damage his business but he's a multi-millionaire so he can ride out the storm. I've no strong feelings on this as I suspect we will never get the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In the mane I think the Dentist was probably ill-advised but the two hunters are a couple of lion cheetahs.

When you separate it down to its basic denominator what's the difference between paying to shoot a lion, a deer or a pigeon... Nothing.!

All should be done humanely of course and with the proper equipment.

As long as the money goes to the right source ( conservation ) I cant see a problem. Although in this case it was probably pocketed by the Hunter and the Land Owner, which is the real crime imo.

Seems like he has more money than sense. I don't get why anyone would want to kill lions. We do hear all the excuses it helps the locals etc, just an excuse as far as I am concerned. If they are going to kill such creatures they should at least use the right equipment to do it humanely a bow and arrow is definitely not the right tool.

lions in a game reserve sometimes need culling for different reasons sickness to many etc. if he paid to cull the lion in a legal way and was then stitched up by the african guides then he is getting a tremendous amount of stick for the wrong reasons and instead of coating him we should feel quite lucky its not one of us (although personally i do not do big game) however as i believe he couldnt care a monkeys how he killed a lion or how legal the hunt was (a lion that doesnt mind humans can hardly be a hunt could it?) he then he deserves to get prosicuted in a zimbabwe court with his ilegal guides and put away for it

Perhaps we should all be careful what we post on the internet. I hate to think what a redtop might make of images of puntgunning, if some public debacle got them interested.

Not to mention the social media mob with their pitchforks sharpened.

:good:

There's no mention of it on the LACS website, but is mention of a 'Vegan Festival' upcoming in Edinburgh on 8th August if any meat eaters up there fancy calling in while munching a burger. :yes:

Edited by Scully

The articles are vague, perhaps he shot it with a bow then I believe they tracked it for almost 2 days before finishing it off, perhaps it escaped out of the area he was licensed to hunt but thought it best to finish it off.

I think the real tradegy is ricky gervais getting attention out of this

Bow hunting leaves me cold, if I didn't have the modern means to kill as humanely as I do and I was hunting to eat, ie survive, I would do what I had to do. As it is I can use a very reliable tool to get the job done, nothing in me hankers to pretend I am living in the stone age and need to use a bow to kill.

I wonder if our dentist advertises dentistry without anesthetic to his patients looking for the real life experience?

This case does nothing but damage for shooting sports, particularly trophy hunting. There was no reason to cull that particular lion, it wasn't causing trouble with livestock or attacking people, it was wearing a collar, was well known. The extra insult which I cannot understand is shooting it with a crossbow bolt and then tracking it for 40 hours before it could be shot. That is cruelty, pure and simple. Personally I think the bloke is sick for even attempting something like this. I really hope he gets prosecuted and locked up for it, hopefully with a huge financial penalty as well. He isn't a "sportsman" or a "sporting shooter", he is just a rich idiot that thought he could get away with it. Not a pest, not to protect life or livestock, just for fun. I hope someone puts a bolt in his back one night.

shooting large game has never appealed to me in any way shape or form, it does nothing for me at all, one reason is probably because I could not justify paying 32,000 to shoot a lion, mind you when I heard about it I thought he would have been a solicitor and not a dentist,

its a shame the lion was killed how it was be it a celebrity or not, he certainly deserves everything he gets and lets just hope they hurt him where it hurts,,,,,in his pocket

Edited by evo

My view is simple. We're not talking about vermin control, deer control or pursuing other quarry species with a sporting element. Nor are we talking about, say, pheasant shooting, itself a rather long-winded and inefficient way of releasing birds into the wild and harvesting a small percentage on the way.

We are talking about a man whose entire leisure time is devoted to killing large, entirely blameless ( ie. not human predators or destructive of crops etc) wild animals in order to demonstrate his virility. Just look at the photos.

I don't care whether it is legal or not. There are enough people who feel that it is fundamentally wrong, who will make their feelings known, that his life will be made difficult. Good!