Farewell old friend

stokie

Had to say goodbye to my Lab she was my best friend.

I remember back as a pup her training with the dummy was spot on . At 15 month old I introduced her to the gun and she was as steady as a rock . She was predominantly a family pet who was good around guns. She was a pleasure to have around . Some of the funny times were when me and a friend were shooting over laid barley and she went for a retrieve and instead of going around the net she went through it ripping if from the ground towing the entire hide and 4 poles across the field . I couldn't tell her off for laughing cuz all she was trying to do was please . On another occasion we were doing walked up pheasant she was great at flushing the hedgerows. A pheasant came out and took flight I dropped it before she got out but she ran full speed for 200 yards not knowing where it had dropped when she realised she was chasing nothing she calmly walked back . She wasn't all bad but they are just the funny ones that I remember

I'll miss that dog because she has taken a part of me with her . So raise a glass to the best worst gun dog . Miss you girl

Sorry to here about that. Losing a a shooting partner is tough - you get to know each other inside out and read the fleetest of movements and glances. I call my dogs gundog but in truth they are part time gundog and full time pet. It sounds like she had a good life so look back on her time with you and smile.

It's a terrible thing to say but the loss of 3 of my dogs over a period of years has hit me at the time harder than losing any of my parents. I don't know what it is about the loss of a dog but it really hurts me and the things like finding fur in the gun bag just reminds of the times in the field. I can relate to the dog going straight through the net to retrieve a pigeon and getting tangled up in a kicking struggling mass leaving me completely exposed is one I have experienced. The spaniel that I now have will be 11 this autumn so it won't be many more years before I have to go through the pain of another loss so I make every effort to make sure that she gets as much shooting and time out in the fields as possible even if the weather is a bit ropey.

I once heard an actor describe how he made himself cry on cue for the cameras

Going through the dogs I have buried would work but boy am I glad I don't have to

My kids often ask me to compare past with current dogs but you can't they all leave different holes

The best thing you can do is focus on the next