National lottery

digger

Driving to work yesterday morning I was taken aback to hear an advert on Absolute Radio saying next Saturday will be a £12.9 mill roll over. Tad odd as the draw was a full 12 hours after. I don't play as the odds are daft etc but wasn't surprised when checking this morning no one had won and the estimated

jack pot is as the advert said.

The response from National Lottery was that they pre record several ads, send them out and the station played the wrong one. Yeah right !

I still recon it is fixed the amount of times you see sets of numbers come out the machine it's no where near random all you need to do is make some of the balls heavier

The pedant in me can't resist pointing out every draw contains a set of numbers coming out of the machine!

The lottery is classic pattern spotting behaviour, humans are hardwired to link things and so see patterns even in truly random things.

There's a load of levels of oversight too, for the relatively small sums it just wouldn't be worth fixing it

I stopped it when they added the extra ten balls your chance of wining it rose to 50 million to one , but they still managed to pay there share holders 27 million then another 12 million a week later .Richard Branson should of got the rights to it he was going to run it as a non profit making organisation

I stopped it when they added the extra ten balls your chance of wining it rose to 50 million to one , but they still managed to pay there share holders 27 million then another 12 million a week later .Richard Branson should of got the rights to it he was going to run it as a non profit making organisation

Branson OR anyone else will never be allowed to run the lottery as all the backhanders and skulduggery would come to light when the books were opened

:shaun:

Iv'e stopped doing it, it was bad enough when they put the price up but then to increase the number of balls and lesson thechance of winning was enough for me and iv'e done it from day one.

same here.

I've got more chance of winning 'something' by putting the odd £1 on at Ladbrokes.

Just have to get that one past the missus :D

One of those email round things has a calculator of how old you are and some lifestyle stuff and it calculates how long before the draw you could buy a ticket and statistically be more likely to die before the draw than to win it, my boss could buy one an hour from the draw and be less likely to see the numbers that would make him rich than the lid of a coffin.

50 million to one is crazy odds, there's only slightly worse odds of becoming the monarch!

That said I do still play, it's a small price for that little "what if?" moment and I do really need a helicopter

I have played the same numbers since day one.

Never had more than a £76 win but always thought as per the advertising slogan "In it to win it", but the subsequent price hike followed by the decrease in odds has me now thinking I should pack it in?

In fact, that's what I'm going to do this min, except that I can't as the website knows I'm not in the Country at the moment-- ******, on the "To do" list it is then.......

And to the Might Prawn, no you don't need a Helicopter- but a Bell 212 sure would be fun, lovely twin blade civilian version of the Huey with its thud thud of the rotors.

Was sitting in my 'Mobile office' in Bologna the other month watching the 'fuzz' playing with theirs. Did have to suppress any desires to shout "get some, get some"

but the subsequent price hike followed by the decrease in odds has me now thinking I should pack it in?

From a gambling perspective the UK lottery is a very poor bet. When tickets were £1 and there were only 49 numbers it was still often a bad net with most jackpots being under the £15 million required to give the correct odds to gamble that sum.

With tickets now at £2 and extra numbers significantly increasing the odds of winning it`s now a terrible bet that is highly unlikely to ever give the correct odds.

Don`t get me wrong, anyone winning £5 million, or whatever the jackpot is, is going to be a very happy bunny. But in terms of odds it`s still a bad bet.

Far better to gamble on the Euro lottery where you will often get the correct price.