Unwanted 'phone calls

Ricko

I used to get loads - from debt management companies mainly.

Mostly asking for a specific person. With a bit of digging it appears they had defaulted on a few payday type loans and the debt had been sold on along with the details of the loans so other companies were calling to loan the amount to clear the loan!!

Our phone can show 20 missed calls and most days it was full by 5pm

I called BT who had allocated the number when our line had been installed (new build) i explained and asked if there was a time limit on renewing disconnected / used numbers. i was told company policy is...... 15minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow they activated last number blocking and that was full within 6 months.

we bought CALLBLOCKER and that cut them right down

at the end of our contract we changed providers with the option of a new number. we now get about 5 a week

Just had 1 as i typed this.... you have cursed me!!

Edited by ph5172

As above theres gadgets you can buy.

Theres also:

preference service doesn't work

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

My phone service is through Sky. I was paying an extra £5.00 per month for call blocking numbers that are withheld and/or ex directory. The service did not stop overseas calls though. I purchased a Call Blocker 1200 for £45.00, which came with 200 pre listed 'nuisance' ones. I still get unwanted calls, but I can either press the 'block now' on the device, or via the handset. I can also enter numbers that I don't want to get through, and chose 'block last number' via the handset. You have to have caller 'id' set up through your phone provider. Now, if I see a number on my handset that I don't want, I just block it. It doesn't stop the company phoning me on a different number, but I have found through experience that they don't contact me again anyway. Sometimes, if I'm near the call blocker device and a number comes up, I answer the phone. If I don't hear anyone on the other end (automated dialling) or the person is selling something, I politely ( :whistling: ) tell them to go away, and then press the 'block now' button. As mentioned, genuine callers can leave a message, and it doesn't stop genuine 'withheld/ex directory' numbers.I can also unblock a number if I need to. After 9 months, the Call Blocker paid for itself due to me cancelling the call blocking service with Sky.

I recommend this device.

This is the one I have, but it can be bought cheaper.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3554302.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504952970|tsid:59158|cid:200290250|lid:118511655410|nw:g|crid:66128554490|rnd:16349848857489658791|dvc:c|adp:1o3|bku:1&gclid=COGS_t731skCFUHnwgodx4AI0g

BT sell excellent phones that include call blocking facilities.

The Telephone Preference Service works to some extent, some callers ignore the system but they are breaking the law.

We get about one nuisance call a week and that is usually a 'witheld' but we know several organisations who are genuine who 'withold' their numbers such as our Doctor's surgery !

Vic.

My phone service is through Sky. I was paying an extra £5.00 per month for call blocking numbers that are withheld and/or ex directory. The service did not stop overseas calls though. I purchased a Call Blocker 1200 for £45.00, which came with 200 pre listed 'nuisance ones. I still get unwanted calls, but I can either press the 'block now' on the device, or via the handset. I can also enter numbers that I don't want to get through, and chose 'block last number' via the handset. You have to have caller 'id' set up through your phone provider. Now, if I see a number on my handset that I don't want, I just block it. It doesn't stop the company phoning me on a different number, but I have found through experience that they don't contact me again anyway. Sometimes, if I'm near the call blocker device and a number comes up, I answer the phone. If I don't hear anyone on the other end (automated dialling) or the person is selling something, I politely ( :whistling: ) tell them to go away, and then press the 'block now' button. As mentioned, genuine callers can leave a message, and it doesn't stop genuine 'withheld/ex directory' numbers.I can also unblock a number if I need to. After 9 months, the Call Blocker paid for itself due to me cancelling the call blocking service with Sky.

I recommend this device.

This is the one I have, but it can be bought cheaper.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3554302.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:12504952970|tsid:59158|cid:200290250|lid:118511655410|nw:g|crid:66128554490|rnd:16349848857489658791|dvc:c|adp:1o3|bku:1&gclid=COGS_t731skCFUHnwgodx4AI0g

Can you use the ** menu at all?

I have just changed from BT to Sky and whilst the blocker works and i can block direct with the button the ** menu to change options will not.

Edited by ph5172

Can you use the ** menu at all?

I have just changed from BT to Sky and whilst the blocker works and i can block direct with the button the ** menu to change options will not.

There's a lot of different settings you can add to the call blocker, by entering code numbers on the handset. I have found this device to be excellent, and, while it doesn't stop calls coming in, once you block them, that number cannot be used to contact you in the future. I know that some companies use different numbers to call you, but I have found that once I block one, I don't get to hear from that company again.

Highly recommended and well worth the money. :)

If you block a number with Talk Talk then the caller simply gets an engaged tone-so when I get an unwanted call I tell them that I am interested but really busy and could they ring back in an hour? I then block the number and smile as I wonder how many times they are going to ring me and think the line is busy :yes:

Got the bt call manager phone! Don't get any calls unless they are cleared or are willing to say who they are. That means no recorded ones it's brilliant

Just got the same thing, works great, you just need to put in the people know. We were getting loads of calls from some tw*t who said my internet was faulty. Told them were to go. Then they started phoning about 20 times a day. I so wanted to rip there heads of and stuck it were the sun dont shine. Seem bt can not do anything about calls from overseas. Ah i feel better now :-):-)

As above theres gadgets you can buy.

Theres also:

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a free service. It is the official central opt out register on which you can record your preference not to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

This is the best solution along with going X directory and not putting the correct phone number when you do online comparison quotes!

we have a truecall telephone screener that was on dragons den a few years ago, costs about £100 but worth every penny. we used to get loads of call from sales or abroad, in the past year we had 58 calls that hung up during screening, 57 were rejected, these would have been from abroad as these are automatically rejected.

we have a truecall telephone screener that was on dragons den a few years ago, costs about £100 but worth every penny. we used to get loads of call from sales or abroad, in the past year we had 58 calls that hung up during screening, 57 were rejected, these would have been from abroad as these are automatically rejected.

+1

We have a truecall unit as well .

"TPS" is as much use as a chocolate teapot . It doesn't stop overseas call and scam callers don't care !

The fact is that you will never stop all marketing. Tps does not work. I used to run a call center and we frequently called people who were registered with them.

The problem is that every time you contact any organisation your number will be logged,unless you remember to with-hold. If you, or any member of your household, are dozy enough to give anyone your home phone number-and I mean Anyone other than friends or family-then you open another potential barrage.

We are all like the 'human batteries' in the Matrix, in that our personal details are worth something to someone even if only a few pence. Because those few pee add up to large amounts eventually.

I have given up the battle and determined to win the war by having some fun with these nuisances.

1. Pretend to be deaf, keep shouting What! What! I can't hear you, what do you want? This can last ages.

2. Keep saying "I don't understand you, your accent is too strong, what are you saying?"

3. Answer phone, say "hang on, I'm on the toilet, in shower" etc. and leave the phone by something loud eg. telly, vacuum et al.

4. Never confirm your name, just say "who's calling?"

5. Always remember that every 'yes' or confirmation of detail is a 'buying signal'

I especially like the "I am ringing you about your Windows computer error report" (Guess what accent?) I then go into a load of misconstruction about windows eg I've just had double glazing and my windows are fine (best if you shout like a deaf old person)

Keep them on as long as possible and have fun.

Happy Xmas

+1

We have a truecall unit as well .

"TPS" is as much use as a chocolate teapot . It doesn't stop overseas call and scam callers don't care !

We registered with tps on ours and then registered the outlaws, mobiles as well and sales calls are down to a couple a year. They are almost satisfying as I just ask for their details so I can file a complaint. They get of the phone as fast as possible

I don't have a home phone ( I do have a land line with Virgin but I've never plugged a phone in ) so all my calls are via mobile. When I have to fill out any form on line I give my old disconnected mobile number and therfore never get nuisance calls. I get unlimited free calls on my contract so it's a no brainer. The only people who need my number have it, the rest can use e mail