No justice for miners- is it a class war

Royal22lr

The RHM Amber Rudd, what a nasty party she belong to.

As Home Secretary, announces no enquiry into the travesty which was Orgreave.

"policing has moved on" "nothing to be learned" "no one died"

So that's ok, it doesn't matter that communities and families were ripped apart- in some families brothers still, to this day will not talk to each other. 95 men, mostly locals arrested, placed in cells, beaten, bailed dragged to court for what? So Mrs Thatcher, could smash communities dismantle the industry. To give her party and friends time to strip our Country of its industries.

To add insult to injury 3 years on the government that had made miners redundant, found 100s of said miners guilty of spending there redundancy payments on frivolous thing, so that they could claim benefits?

In most cases they had brought there homes- Mrs T tried to starve them in to submission. 32 years on "nothing to be learned" How do these people sleep at night.

I spent 8 months living with some of these families - it breaks my heart that their will be no enquiry.

Sorry rant over

Malcolm

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or they could spend umpteen millions on finding people to blame who are long since retired or dead and achieve nothing but making a load of lawyers more wealthy. I really don't see what would be gained. The world has moved on, policing is very different now, mining is a historic industry. It must have been incredibly sad for the communities effected, but it has happened and like the rest of the workforce, there are very few jobs for life nowadays, we all need to be more flexible.

Or they could spend umpteen millions on finding people to blame who are long since retired or dead and achieve nothing but making a load of lawyers more wealthy. I really don't see what would be gained. The world has moved on, policing is very different now, mining is a historic industry. It must have been incredibly sad for the communities effected, but it has happened and like the rest of the workforce, there are very few jobs for life nowadays, we all need to be more flexible.

+1!

Yes, my heart bleeds for them.................but not the bully boy flying pickets and thug miners led by that wonderful statesman Arhur Skargill but for the thousands of miners who wished to continue to work but suffered violence from Scargills thugs because they chose to stand by their democratic right to continue to work.

Smashing the strike was the best thing Mrs Thatcher ever did.

Down south it was portrayed in the media as the miners attacked police ( potatoes spiked with nails thrown at police horses was often quoted ).

The closure of mines was inevitable, not sure a full blown enquiry at the tax payers expense would get people talking who haven't for years.

Next week parliament debate an enquiry into the accusation Capt Cook was beastly to a native ?

:good:

Yes, my heart bleeds for them.................but not the bully boy flying pickets and thug miners led by that wonderful statesman Arhur Skargill but for the thousands of miners who wished to continue to work but suffered violence from Scargills thugs because they chose to stand by their democratic right to continue to work.

Smashing the strike was the best thing Mrs Thatcher ever did.

quite.

in some families brothers still, to this day will not talk to each other.

I do not see the point of an enquiry. According to the OP brothers do not speak to each other. Just how would an enquiry resolve that?

There was fault on both sides. Some of the miners were a disgrace - bullying, threatening etc. The Police - in some cases - were no better. A former neighbour of mine was employed by GMP and spent time in Yorkshire. He boasted how GMP managed to hold a line, whilst assaulting miners. He sneered at other Forces who just linked arms to prevent trouble.

Too long has passed and I see no outcome which would pacify either side. Both parties were largely innocent of wrongdoing, but both were guilty of offences, in my opinion. That said - GMP allegedly got plenty of overtime and Arthur Scargill came out of it quite well, whereas the miners didn't.

This is one of those things that you have to be careful about what you wish for. The left in the broad sense hope the police will be castigated, but the problem with a public enquiry is that the evidence might show that the NUM were most at fault and then what would these same people say? As was stated nobody was convicted and nobody died, perhaps it is best to let sleeping dogs lie in this case.

David.

Edited by Kalahari

The Union men didn't exactly starve. I saw that with my own eyes. And anyone who thinks that any union should be able to hold the rest of the country to ransom by threatening, assaulting and damaging property belonging to those who don't agree with them should consider what they want out of life.

No doubt the police over stepped the mark. But the pickets were no angels either.

The time is going to have to come when the railway workers get their dressing down. It is utterly ridiculous that their workplace squabbles can bring down entire transport networks and the millions of people who rely on them to get to work have to suffer as a byproduct of their inability to resolve issues better.

The time is going to have to come when the railway workers get their dressing down. It is utterly ridiculous that their workplace squabbles can bring down entire transport networks and the millions of people who rely on them to get to work have to suffer as a byproduct of their inability to resolve issues better.

I heard on here that they were all going to be replaced with hard working immigrant labour :rolleyes:

I've listened to discussions on the radio about Orgreave today. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the miners strike and I had a lot of sympathy for the plight of a lot of those miners. What nobody has reported today is that Orgreave wasn't a mine it was a coking plant supplying S****horpe steel works, without the coke the blast furnaces would have been destoyed with the loss of 1000s of jobs. Those striking miners were drafted in from all over the country to try a stop lorrys bringing coke out! They were hard core just like the police who volunteered to for duty and an opportunity to weald their truncheons and they did!

Am I getting a whiff of 'compensation' starting on this one ?

................Is the right answer.....youre the winner :good:

That's all it is...regardless of whose to blame or who did what to who this wont now go away. the Miners families will just keep chipping away, with the help of Miners lawyers for you until the blame is pinned on anyone and every one who wasn't in fact culpable and the Government will capitulate and blame the police force......just wait and see. ;)

I think we ought to reopen the Hastings enquiry.... find out who really shot that arrow into Harrys eye.. :lol:

Edited by Adge Cutler

Just my twopenneth.

We are sitting on 3,196 million tonnes of the stuff. This does not include the 23 trillion tonnes reckoned to be under the North Sea - enough to last for centuries. Sooner or later some bright spark is going to come up with a method of burning it without contaminating the atmosphere. We're then going to need miners. 'Ere , hang on , we haven't got any. Oops.

I've listened to discussions on the radio about Orgreave today. Unfortunately I am old enough to remember the miners strike and I had a lot of sympathy for the plight of a lot of those miners. What nobody has reported today is that Orgreave wasn't a mine it was a coking plant supplying *****horpe steel works, without the coke the blast furnaces would have been destoyed with the loss of 1000s of jobs. Those striking miners were drafted in from all over the country to try a stop lorrys bringing coke out! They were hard core just like the police who volunteered to for duty and an opportunity to weald their truncheons and they did!

Can you believe it's deleted ***** from *****horpe!

*****horpe is near Peniston :lol:

I come from mining stock and joined the police after the strike, in 1987. Back then most Bobbies were built like brick outhouses. Not like today where the response units are full of five foot nothing girls with degrees in sociology. My first colleagues were real hard men and took no lip from anyone. My first Inspector, an old Scot had been in charge of a Police Support Unit of 20 Constables and 2 Sergeants. He and some of the Bobbies on his group who were also on my shift were some of the hardest men I've ever come across. They had been at Orgreave and afterwards the Inspector was taken off the PSU for being too violent. Too violent to be on a riot squad! :hmm:

When I joined there was an unwritten rule that probationers couldn't have any overtime. That was given to the older Bobbies. I joined the shift in June 1987 and a month or so later the Inspector asked me if I wanted some overtime. I was chuffed to bits and immediately agreed. The overtime involved him and me walking around and doing pub checks on a Sunday afternoon in a Barnsley pit town, two years after the strike during the Miner's Gala weekend. :oops: We went round and round five pubs all afternoon and every one was stuffed full of miners enjoying the beer to a great degree. Let us just say that we had some interesting experiences. That was Jock's way of seeing whether I could cut it on the shift. Bless him!

The RHM Amber Rudd, what a nasty party she belong to.

As Home Secretary, announces no enquiry into the travesty which was Orgreave.

"policing has moved on" "nothing to be learned" "no one died"

So that's ok, it doesn't matter that communities and families were ripped apart- in some families brothers still, to this day will not talk to each other. 95 men, mostly locals arrested, placed in cells, beaten, bailed dragged to court for what? So Mrs Thatcher, could smash communities dismantle the industry. To give her party and friends time to strip our Country of its industries.

To add insult to injury 3 years on the government that had made miners redundant, found 100s of said miners guilty of spending there redundancy payments on frivolous thing, so that they could claim benefits?

In most cases they had brought there homes- Mrs T tried to starve them in to submission. 32 years on "nothing to be learned" How do these people sleep at night.

I spent 8 months living with some of these families - it breaks my heart that their will be no enquiry.

Sorry rant over

Malcolm

I very rarely speak to my Brothers.

The militants messed with the iron lady and lost...History

Move along nothing to see here.

*****horpe is near Peniston :lol:

I come from mining stock and joined the police after the strike, in 1987. Back then most Bobbies were built like brick outhouses. Not like today where the response units are full of five foot nothing girls with degrees in sociology. My first colleagues were real hard men and took no lip from anyone. My first Inspector, an old Scot had been in charge of a Police Support Unit of 20 Constables and 2 Sergeants. He and some of the Bobbies on his group who were also on my shift were some of the hardest men I've ever come across. They had been at Orgreave and afterwards the Inspector was taken off the PSU for being too violent. Too violent to be on a riot squad! :hmm:

When I joined there was an unwritten rule that probationers couldn't have any overtime. That was given to the older Bobbies. I joined the shift in June 1987 and a month or so later the Inspector asked me if I wanted some overtime. I was chuffed to bits and immediately agreed. The overtime involved him and me walking around and doing pub checks on a Sunday afternoon in a Barnsley pit town, two years after the strike during the Miner's Gala weekend. :oops: We went round and round five pubs all afternoon and every one was stuffed full of miners enjoying the beer to a great degree. Let us just say that we had some interesting experiences. That was Jock's way of seeing whether I could cut it on the shift. Bless him!

So it was you then...should be ashamed of yourself taking advantage of the nice peaceful Miners like that...I think you should be extradited and be subjected to a enquiry. :lol::lol: :lol:

Just my twopenneth.

We are sitting on 3,196 million tonnes of the stuff. This does not include the 23 trillion tonnes reckoned to be under the North Sea - enough to last for centuries. Sooner or later some bright spark is going to come up with a method of burning it without contaminating the atmosphere. We're then going to need miners. 'Ere , hang on , we haven't got any. Oops.

Plenty arriving from Eastern Europe in the next 50 years. :whistling:

Just my twopenneth.

The miners strike was about egos and power, not about the future

Plenty arriving from Eastern Europe in the next 50 years. :whistling:

why say things like that ? all to often on this forum nowadays things are said to provoke, get even or just a wind up, why ?

in response to the op, I cant see the point of an enquiry most of the participants are dead or old perhaps its best forgotten like so many things that happend at that time