semi auto on a game shoot

kody

It's this kind of pointless snobbery that will stop new blood coming into the sport.

Exactly this. Nowadays It is nothing to do with safety or tradition but mere snobbery in my opinion.

I can understand how some want to keep formal shoot days formal, but can't understand why the type of firearm used diminishes that formality in the eyes of some.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of auto shooters on my shoot. Both use them due to health reasons, which is fair enough.

As has been mentioned, some beaters may only shoot game once a year, and may only have one gun, so I wouldnt have a problem with autos being used with two loaded rather than three in those circumstances.

As far as safety goes, dangerous handling is dangerous handling, irrespective of the type of gun - by far the most dangerous gun I have encountered carries an OU. It's not difficult or complicated to exercise muzzle discipline with an auto, and they can easily be carried in such a way as to show an open breech at all times when not shooting.

As a one off on a beaters day certainly, but only if they do not have another gun and not because they want the option of three or more shots.

I had a guest gun this season who borrowed a SxS and did not touch a feather, at lunch he was looking thoroughly miserable and as I knew he had his auto with him told him he could use that in the afternnon. He hit a few and had a smile on his face which was waht it is all about in my opinion..

There are a couple of auto shooters on my shoot. Both use them due to health reasons, which is fair enough.

As has been mentioned, some beaters may only shoot game once a year, and may only have one gun, so I wouldnt have a problem with autos being used with two loaded rather than three in those circumstances.

As far as safety goes, dangerous handling is dangerous handling, irrespective of the type of gun - by far the most dangerous gun I have encountered carries an OU. It's not difficult or complicated to exercise muzzle discipline with an auto, and they can easily be carried in such a way as to show an open breech at all times when not shooting.

Ur quite right its not difficult but yet wether on shoot days or esp out with the hounds/vermin days the majority of folk i've seen don't excerise any at all and rare to see a sideways shell/flag coming out breech

To the point i no longer go to certain vermin shoots or shoot for hounds.

I personally couldn't care less if u have 2,3 or 8 shells in the gun, in my opinion has little to do with respect, it is just as disrespectful to pillow case low low bird with and old english sxs as a SA.

And to be honest from a picking up point of view i'd rather a gun put an extra shot into a bird if they pricked/wounded it with the 2nd ( which is often the case, behind first shot, back end/wing 2nd, by time 3rd shot might actually be infront of it)

I also don't really care about cammo gear or anything else like that, so the snobbery aspect just does not come into it.

I actually sold my SA as i didn't feel safe with it and could feel me wanting to lean it up against stuff when checking traps/snares every day, yet most of the keepers i spoke to it was common practice to leave it proped up with 1 up spout when they were doing trap lines or jump fences with 1 up, just things u'd never dream of doing with a break barrel.

Compalency when ur doing something loads of times a day every day can be a dangerous thing

Putting the boot on the other foot..........just a personal view, but I would not take part in a game shoot if the guns were using S/A's....I love the tradition, the sense of occasion and the specialness of a days game shooting, be that a formal day or beaters days!

What are we actually there for? To merely enjoy killing as many birds as we can irrespective of standards.....or to maintain and promote the 'sporting' element of shooting and enjoy the feeling of specialness and the sense of privilege of just being there? Irrespective of size of the bag!

I would not take part in a game shoot if the guns were using S/A's....I love the tradition, the sense of occasion and the specialness of a days game shooting, be that a formal day or beaters days!

Even if they were long-time game shots who can only continue their sport by using a S/A?

Funny this was posted, only yesterday while we were having a nice game of pool over a couple of pints, I asked the keeper if I could bring a 10 shot semi on beaters day

His answer was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, erm you can imagine. Any way apparently Im having some baby's.. :lol:

I'll take my O/U may be a little less painful.

It can always be stipulated that no more than two cartridges are to be loaded at any one time.

I find it peculiar that some bemoan the auto loader yet have no qualms about 'double gunning'.

The safety aspect doesn't differentiate between mechanisms; a dangerous gun is a dangerous gun.

Putting the boot on the other foot..........just a personal view, but I would not take part in a game shoot if the guns were using S/A's....I love the tradition, the sense of occasion and the specialness of a days game shooting, be that a formal day or beaters days!

What are we actually there for? To merely enjoy killing as many birds as we can irrespective of standards.....or to maintain and promote the 'sporting' element of shooting and enjoy the feeling of specialness and the sense of privilege of just being there? Irrespective of size of the bag!

Hard to express my feelings plus I think I'm getting (I've got) old. I can empathise with several posts, particularly those highlighting a medical problem, but this is the one that does it for me. Problem is though, the view expressed is slowly but surely is heading for the history books. Far too often now the percentage of Guns - small but growing - consists of 'new money' either currently being earned or having been accumulated before retirement, simply looking at ways to spend it and have discovered shooting. All too often, they know nothing and care less. Couple this with the fact that a surplus harvest is patently being produced despite the best efforts of the shooting associations to develop a market for it - and there's no subsidy for this one - then the only way we're going to survive is down to an ongoing lack of interest in country affairs by the majority of Joe Public.

Totally agree

I will be using my auto on beaters day this sat, i only ever put 2 carts in it . I have tried and failed with sxs & o/u .

I aleays use my saftey flag when fininished and unload too . I really cant see the problem as long as only 2 carts are used like in a sxs or o/u, all 3 can let off 2 carts with a single trigger in a matter of seconds .

A few of the beaters have already asked if i will be using the auto , and have no ptoblem with it as i am very safety conscous with it at all times ( even more than if i was using a sxs or o/u )

I respect you wanting to savour the tradition so I guess you must shoot with a SxS.

Surely the privilege is the same whatever type of gun you use.

Respect for quarry can be maintained whatever the type of gun and I think it unfair to expect a beater to shoot with an unfamiliar gun on maybe his only game day in the year.

Regarding safety, the most common fault I see is guns broken and "hung" over the shoulder; then proceed to turn round and smack someone in the face or back of head with the butt. I know it's not deadly but can be very painful.

I look forward to the day I can use a nice semi auto on a game day. Light to carry low recoil what's not to like.

I use a SxS and dress for the day but I notice less people are wearing tweeds and more are in modern fabrics in muted greens and browns.

Must admit for all i'm not a fan of SA's i don't know why if ur going to use 1 u don't just put 3 shells in, perfectly legal.

Its not a copmetion so having an extra shot doesn't really matter.

If ur a very good shot and regularly shooting triples mibee a bit greedy and might upset ur fellow guns but if used sensibly (and safely) i would far rather someone finish a bird off if needed, i doubt any of ur fellow guns will actually be counting how many shots u fired.

Like i said i've been on a few days where keepers had the 8 shots out (totally illegal, against FAC conditions) but to be honest i'm usually busy enough myself without noticing too much wot others are doing.

The main thing is u and everyone else is safe and u enjoy ur day

Edited by scotslad

I used a hammer gun on Saturday and, apart from funerals and weddings, it's the only time I wear a tie

Me too, hammer gun, paper cartridges and tweed breeks.

I look a right tit but I enjoy the tradition!

I wouldn't be bothered by someone else using a semi auto though, especially on a beaters day.

I think hammer guns would be, if not more dangerous than semi auto's ... earlier posters commented about O/U's with extended chokes pillow casing birds at 20 ft Unfortunately you witness that at all shoots (even with a pair of 50k Purdeys!) If a shotgun is choked to 1/4 and 1/2, then the spread will be the same whether its from a powder burner to a Krieghoff! Unfortunately the Berk at the end of the trigger should know better as to when to pull it.

Also, how do we know a £40 SxS is safe and in proof? I wouldn't fancy the pain from shooting an ill fitting 28'' with no butt pad and 32gram cartridges. BUT if it 'respects' the birds, that's OK then..

Edited by trickyh

I think hammer guns would be, if not more dangerous than semi auto's ... earlier posters commented about O/U's with extended chokes pillow casing birds at 20 ft Unfortunately you witness that at all shoots (even with a pair of 50k Purdeys!) If a shotgun is choked to 1/4 and 1/2, then the spread will be the same whether its from a powder burner to a Krieghoff! Unfortunately the Berk at the end of the trigger should know better as to when to pull it.

Also, how do we know a £40 SxS is safe and in proof? I wouldn't fancy the pain from shooting an ill fitting 28'' with no butt pad and 32gram cartridges. BUT if it 'respects' the birds, that's OK then..

Yes I agree with all of that. I know when I'm using my hammer gun I have to be extra careful and think what I'm doing at all times. Maybe that actually makes me safer, I'm still not sure. More to forget but it keeps your attention on it somehow.

I've got a few guns and my least favourite for a long day would be my 26" SxS with no butt pad and usually 28 - 30g cartridges, it kicks like a mule. Choked half and full (fixed) it will certainly pillow case anything that comes near it. That's why I don't use it but it would be welcomed on any shoot.

My lovely Benelli Raffaello Black semi which looks like a very nice game gun and can use light cartridges and open chokes isn't acceptable for some reason.