Attempted break in

vmaxphil

1 0'clock this morning the dog heard something outside and started barking, when I let her out I saw a hoody trying to break in to my workshop and scared him off. We found out several sheds were broken into that night.

Question for you knowledgeable people is what is a good make of padlock I am looking for a closed shackle type thanks in advance

When I was growing up we had three pad locks on the shed so some scrote pried the hinges off instead, I would look at getting one of the metal covers that stop them getting at the lock to begin with and if you have plenty of stuff in there maybe a cheap alarm.

And a bone for the dog, good girl

Not sure about locks but I installed a blank firing poachers alarm rigged to our shed door together with a battery powered PIR and siren. My thoughts are that someone getting in there at 3am will get the fright of their life and the neighbours will be straight on to the police after hearing a gunshot and then an alarm!

The thing is with sheds, everyone gets a good lock and neglects the weakest part, how the hasp and staple are attached to the shed and the hinges. Drill through the shed with a coach bolt on all fixing points and thread through coach bolts. Leave the round side to the outside and the nuts inside

Edited by Delwint

just fit two Chubb locks mate, you can buy them for garage doors, that way one key fits both.

If the thief can't get to the lock they can't damage it to break in.

With the standard shed door hinges replace some of the screws with couch bolts.

This set up should help.

Atb

My was shed raided I had 2 locks a alarm on the doors the scumbags took the side off the shed lost a rare scooter mig welder plus fishing tackle police didn't even bother to come out just gave me a crime reference number no matter what lock is fitted if they want to break in they will find a way

Edited by chris1961

Yes ive got 5 hinges on mine and bolts through not screws ,decent locks ,weldmesh over the windows but its a wooden shed .So crowbar = your in however many locks u use .

Good security lights and dogs are the best deterrent the scrotes prefer quiet and no holes in their jeans from teeth .And get your valuables insured properly list them numbers off power tools ,photos of big stuff ,engrave your name/address where its hidden and receipts for snotty insurance companies as proof of purchase atb

With basic locks and bolts through the hinges, I would recommend smoke bombs (paint balling) on trip wire inside. Make sure they are not on a flammable surface. They are cheap to buy you just have to remember to unhook them. There is no way to stay in the shed when they go off. Coupled with a battery alarm (rape alarm?) and that will encourage them to go elsewhere.

I have the smoke bombs connected to anything of value.

Just to clarify things the workshop is concrete block with two 6'x5' steel doors one bolted inside and concealed hinges the bolt to hold the second door is welded on, its the paddock that he damaged I need to replace as apart from bolt cutters entry is going to make a lot o noise

A farmer friend of mine was repeatedly burgled by the same traveller scrotes, mainly targetting small garden machinery, power washers etc. Eventually he built a massive shed next to the house, steel H beams and railway sleepers, steel doors and massive locks with an alarm on the doors. Great for nearly 3 months but then he went out one night and they cut the back wall out with a chainsaw and took everything including the motion sensors.

We had this when i worked at the Massey dealers ,they knocked the night watchman out then cut the window out with a chainsaw and took the whole Stihl tool display about 20 grand went west and the nearest cops were miles away .If they want in and your away they,l do it we can all buy cordless cutters and chainsaws so unless there,s armed guards theyre having it away