Aldi

Davyo

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate is the manager in Aldi locally and the stuff they throw in the skip is unbelievable.... Booze, lemonade in cans, tools, screenwash, plus of course food etc.

Should be a law against that

Usually buy my tools from Lidl ( Parkside ) however as my push lawn mower ( Bosch ) had given up the ghost I bought one from Aldi. To say that I am impressed would be an understatement. It cuts well its easy to push and at a fraction of the price of the Bosch.

Well I must of gone to the wrong Aldi! as the for's out weigh the nah's. It was Aldi in Seaham so not what I would call big but they all look the same size to be honest.Wasnt aware they had bigger stores,I've often popped in for the special buy,like fishing gear,garage stuff and the likes.While I attempted a grocery shop I noticed that I couldn't get the any branded toiletries etc.This means you end up doing two shops.Recarding the comments on the staff I did notice that the tills are limited and the staff,young lady was throwing them through the till quicker than I could put them away,hence a number of items ending up on the floor.It would be better if they did branded stuff as well as this unbranded (similar labelled stuff).I think even branded stuff could be sold much cheaper than leading stores as Aldi overheads seem a lot less as it's just a unit with stuff thrown on pallets.

The coffee I bought looked just like Nescafé but you have to use two spoons of coffee to get any tast out of it.Dont think I will be going back in a rush.

post-30855-0-55023100-1491557953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Ive shopped in Aldi from moving out a few years ago and it was purely down to money at the time and have ended up loving it tbh. Me and the gf did out first ever shop in Sainsburys and spent over £100, then went to Aldi the ext week and spent under £40.

As everyone has said you have to be a bit selective with what you get and f you continue to shop there you'll figure out whats what. I love all the seaonal stuff they get it in,especially around Xmas time, loads of mulled wine and bits like that. The wines and beers are fntastic and brilliantly priced, it's crazy to think you could do a weekly shop with booze for under £50, well we seem to be able to. We have stopped buying the meat there and started buy from the butchers but thats just personal choice and the fact everything else we buy from aldi is so well priced it allows our budget to stretch for nice meat.

My only problem is the isles of endless amounts of random ****! I went to do the weekly shop once and came back with 3 fire extinguishers, full scoober diviing kit, a washling line and BBQ with smoker...this is part of the reason i not allowed to do the shopping anymore... :good:

Anster 2 the selection of coffees and teas in Aldi's near me is really good - and includes known brands. Sometimes I think it is the known brands that are the problem with the hype they give in advertising they become the must have brands. Programme on telly the other night looking at 3 different supermarket brands of food stuff. Corn flakes, Smoked salmon and baked beans. against the popular brands. Cornflakes and baked beans was won by Tesco's but the smoked salmon was won by Lidl. Its on again next week with other foods on trial. It was the female who does the morning show and appeared on strictly dancing who was one of the hosts and the judges were two very well known food chefs/critics - might be worth catching next week. Davyo, give it a whirl again I think time will tell. Don't expect to get known brand taste, texture etc try a bit of diversity as you have done with the coffee and although not up to Nescafe standard, at the price in Aldi's you can afford to use 2 teaspoonfuls and still beat Nescafe prices.

Will you listen to us - we're like old hens here :lol:

Great stuff eh :good:

Pushkin. :)

Like your response pushkin! :yes:

Wish I'd used Aldi rather than Tesco when I lived as a Bachelor! Some good wines available as others have mentioned, cook in curry sauces lovely, tinned soup, some brilliant, others "OK"....

now I better go for a peck or two around the garden..... :)

Cheers

Aled

Anster 2 the selection of coffees and teas in Aldi's near me is really good - and includes known brands. Sometimes I think it is the known brands that are the problem with the hype they give in advertising they become the must have brands. Programme on telly the other night looking at 3 different supermarket brands of food stuff. Corn flakes, Smoked salmon and baked beans. against the popular brands. Cornflakes and baked beans was won by Tesco's but the smoked salmon was won by Lidl. Its on again next week with other foods on trial. It was the female who does the morning show and appeared on strictly dancing who was one of the hosts and the judges were two very well known food chefs/critics - might be worth catching next week. Davyo, give it a whirl again I think time will tell. Don't expect to get known brand taste, texture etc try a bit of diversity as you have done with the coffee and although not up to Nescafe standard, at the price in Aldi's you can afford to use 2 teaspoonfuls and still beat Nescafe prices.

Will you listen to us - we're like old hens here :lol:

Great stuff eh :good:

Pushkin. :)

Haha

We will be logging into Mumsnet next

Well I must of gone to the wrong Aldi! as the for's out weigh the nah's. It was Aldi in Seaham so not what I would call big but they all look the same size to be honest.Wasnt aware they had bigger stores,I've often popped in for the special buy,like fishing gear,garage stuff and the likes.While I attempted a grocery shop I noticed that I couldn't get the any branded toiletries etc.This means you end up doing two shops.Recarding the comments on the staff I did notice that the tills are limited and the staff,young lady was throwing them through the till quicker than I could put them away,hence a number of items ending up on the floor.It would be better if they did branded stuff as well as this unbranded (similar labelled stuff).I think even branded stuff could be sold much cheaper than leading stores as Aldi overheads seem a lot less as it's just a unit with stuff thrown on pallets.

The coffee I bought looked just like Nescafé but you have to use two spoons of coffee to get any tast out of it.Dont think I will be going back in a rush.

Well I am sure the top dogs of Lidl will take your "useful" advice on board!

Pushkin , My local Audi stocks 2 brands of coffee and both are pretty awful. As for beans never tried them , but did try their sweet and sour chicken and that went in the bin after a mouthful. I got some tangerines a while ago, cheap was about all you could say for them as the quality was very poor. Their christmas cakes were fine , but I have yet to find anything else worthwile eating in the shop. Shop carefully and you get much better foods from the out of date counter at Morrisions ( something Audi do not have ). Got a dozen reducd packs of very good quality ( Whites ) sausages at 50p a pack the other day , and a couple of double packs of big pork chops at 65p that were very good. I never buy meat unless its reduced , cant afford it , but my freezer is full of steaks, chops , bacon, and chicken all bought at a fraction of Audi\Lidil prices and all very good quality.

Edited by anser2

Pushkin , My local Audi stocks 2 brands of coffee and both are pretty awful. As for beans never tried them , but did try their sweet and sour chicken and that went in the bin after a mouthful. I got some tangerines a while ago, cheap was about all you could say for them as the quality was very poor. Their christmas cakes were fine , but I have yet to find anything else worthwile eating in the shop. Shop carefully and you get much better foods from the out of date counter at Morrisions ( something Audi do not have ). Got a dozen reducd packs of very good quality ( Whites ) sausages at 50p a pack the other day , and a couple of double packs of big pork chops at 65p that were very good. I never buy meat unless its reduced , cant afford it , but my freezer is full of steaks, chops , bacon, and chicken all bought at a fraction of Audi\Lidil prices and all very good quality.

It is amazing that their cars are so highly sort after! :rolleyes::no::whistling:

Cant fault Aldi. Started shopping there some years back after being made redundant. Quality is good. Dont fget a lot of there own brand is the same food but in there own packaging. I witnessed this when i went for a job at Veetee rice. The packaging department was packing the same rice for Aldi, Asda etc and Veetee. Am sure its the same for a lot of food items.

Lidl all the way for me to be honest, took me best part of 2 years to get the wife into the place as she was a Sainsbury's fan but Lidl own brand knocks the stuffing out of any one else's and a lot of them we find better than the big brands, fruit and vet have more flavour as they stock more seasonal stuff, meat is way better than the big supermarkets and doesn't shrink when cooking and you get more exotic meats all the time in there, the jams, pickles etc are very very good. Plus they use British food as much as possible.

Also is a fun game to play seeing what random **** is for sale, only place you can find a spool of welding wire next to a kids toy next to a canoe.

The Aldi weetbix are better than the mushy original one.

All the "Weetabix" biscuits including all the own brands from all the supermarkets are made in the same factory on the same production line. Same with cornflakes.

My sister in law told me that, she is a home economics teacher and they are the text books examples they use when teaching the kids about own brands.

then they send the kids out to all the different supermarkets to collect prices and do a big comparison chart.

All the "Weetabix" biscuits including all the own brands from all the supermarkets are made in the same factory on the same production line. Same with cornflakes.

My sister in law told me that, she is a home economics teacher and they are the text books examples they use when teaching the kids about own brands.

then they send the kids out to all the different supermarkets to collect prices and do a big comparison chart.

Read the bottom of the label they often tell you where they where produced or state boxed for aldi , lidi produced etc a dead give away