What are you growing?

hedd-wyn

Having just moved into a new property the garden was the last project on the list.

However I did manage to hack my way through some of the jungle and plant some potatoes, onions, spring onions, strawberries & rhubarb.

So, what do you self sufficient gentlemen have on the go?

Da Iawn (well done) Hedd Wyn

Potatoes, carrots, beetroot, French beans, shallots, radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, chives, and cucumber. All being well if I get a nice sea trout during the summer i'll be able to eat a meal mostly self grown/caught.

Cheers

Aled

I generally grow stuff you can't buy or that are easy to grow and expensive to buy or are best to have at hand. It's hard to buy some things that are properly ripened, are fresh enough, are strains that have not had the flavour bred out of them at the expense of traits that commercial varieties need to be. My core driver is flavour.

So year on year I grow new potatoes, runners, broads, spring and summer cauliflowers, broccoli (not calabrese), red beet, courgettes, lettuce, tomatoes, chillies, mushrooms, some herbs, red/ white/ blackcurrants, summer and autumn raspberries, apples, pears, rhubarb and occasional things such as squash, cucumbers and anything else that takes my fancy for a change such as chard this year. In an ideal world I'd have more ground put aside for it.

A bit of everything. In the front garden strawberries, rasps, goosegogs, re and black currents plus sundry herbs. On allotment spuds, peas , beans, beetroot, white turnips , onions, garlic, salad stuff, cabbage and fingers crossed carrots. We were using our own spuds from July 2016 to March 2017 and they're our main veg dont go much for that foreign pasta and rice stuff- mush-roasts- chips etc.

Blackpowder

A bit of everything. In the front garden strawberries, rasps, goosegogs, re and black currents plus sundry herbs. On allotment spuds, peas , beans, beetroot, white turnips , onions, garlic, salad stuff, cabbage and fingers crossed carrots. We were using our own spuds from July 2016 to March 2017 and they're our main veg dont go much for that foreign pasta and rice stuff- mush-roasts- chips etc.

Blackpowder

I've never had much luck with carrots. Always end up tiny... Story of my life 😟

Sowed broad beans on January 1st, and have had 100% germination. They are growing well - I love young home grown broad beans :drool:

Two varieties from realseeds.co.uk 'Wizard' (with which I've had great success before) and 'Leidse' (trying for the first time).

Got my 'Summer Crookneck' courgettes in pots on the windowsill and will plant out in frames this weekend.

Lots of chard down a couple of weeks ago - with regular cropping that can still be going well after the first frost.

My son really likes turnips, so I will try again with 'Petrowski' throughout the summer and see what comes good. Turnip tops are delicious, so if they don't form big roots, I'm not too fussed.

One bit of success this year was getting one (out of ten) wisteria seeds to germinate from seed pods I harvested in the winter. Interested to see how that turns out.

LS

Having just moved into a new property the garden was the last project on the list.

However I did manage to hack my way through some of the jungle and plant some potatoes, onions, spring onions, strawberries & rhubarb.

So, what do you self sufficient gentlemen have on the go?

Tired of all bloody cook programs on TV ..... Cook off.