Be careful out there guys

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friends in Texas are just speechless when they read all of this. Enter someone's home environment there, uninvited, and you would be in serious trouble.

Our caravan club friends would probably not last a week out there.

Yea, I'm equally glad that we don't live in Texas, especially some of the more rural parts, where drug runners or human traffickers could bump into you easily whilst going about your own business and do you harm, with the nearest help hours away.

It's alright envying their liberal gun laws, but they have a reason for them, and a good chance they might need them. Worst case scenario for us is you hold up in your bedroom for about 10 minutes until someone arrives.

Yea, I'm equally glad that we don't live in Texas, especially some of the more rural parts, where drug runners or human traffickers could bump into you easily whilst going about your own business and do you harm, with the nearest help hours away.

It's alright envying their liberal gun laws, but they have a reason for them, and a good chance they might need them. Worst case scenario for us is you hold up in your bedroom for about 10 minutes until someone arrives.

Worst case???

....meanwhile, in Cromer....

The UK police forces are there to protect society, NOT the individual.

When seconds count, they're only minutes away.

Last time I called 999, I listened to automated system tell me my call was important for 5 mins, then a person tell me my call wasn't important,and the person who'd crashed into me with no insurance could go.

Don't blame the old bill, whenever the people who decide their funding look out the window they see wall to wall coppers, so maybe they think we've got a surplus.

Can't put my socks on at 3am in the morning never mind open a safe to get keys them open another safe to grab a gun.If these sort of break ins continue I can see a ban from keeping guns at home.Poss have to keep them at a club of police station and book them out.That maybe extreme but I can certainly see that cctv,and other tighter security measures could be do able like alarm rigged to security firm or police.

Edited by Davyo

Last time I called 999, I listened to automated system tell me my call was important for 5 mins, then a person tell me my call wasn't important,and the person who'd crashed into me with no insurance could go.

Don't blame the old bill, whenever the people who decide their funding look out the window they see wall to wall coppers, so maybe they think we've got a surplus.

Someone crashing into your car isn't the same as someone breaking into your home at 3am. It isn't a life or death situation and should be followed up with both parties insurance companies.

Did you not take their details and reg number etc?

In my last job I must of called for Police assistance around 15 times in a year. The majority of time they arrived within 5 minutes, a handful around 10-15 minutes.

These were very extreme circumstances but at no point did I think their was serious risk to life.

On the one occasion I've phoned them and their was a very serious risk about 6-8 coppers arrived in moments all heavily armed and armoured up ready to go!

I've got a baseball bat that's a present for my nephew, it's still got the ball attached to the end. Keep it safe in my bedroom so I don't forget to give it to him when he comes visit.

Exactly same for me, and I have another at the front door in case when my friends young children come for the day they fancy a game in the front garden

Someone crashing into your car isn't the same as someone breaking into your home at 3am. It isn't a life or death situation and should be followed up with both parties insurance companies.

Did you not take their details and reg number etc?

In my last job I must of called for Police assistance around 15 times in a year. The majority of time they arrived within 5 minutes, a handful around 10-15 minutes.

These were very extreme circumstances but at no point did I think their was serious risk to life.

On the one occasion I've phoned them and their was a very serious risk about 6-8 coppers arrived in moments all heavily armed and armoured up ready to go!

I tackled a guy off his head on drugs a few months ago who had just stabbed someone multiple times in the face (witnessed it for about 5 seconds before stepping in) and the police and ambulance took 20 mins to get here. The station is 2 miles down the road... wasn't happy. I had to knock him unconscious 3 times. The first time was to disarm him the second and third were to shut him up and prevent him from causing more damage. 20 minutes though!!

As for people breaking into my house, I have 2 dogs that will bite if they don't know and there not invited in along with being very grumpy when woken they won't be having a good day. Getting something out the safe? No. If it was life and death unless you had your gun sitting next to you you wouldn't have time anyway. Similar as you Lloyd, metal bar that should support the bottom of the bed.

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

hi guys just a heads up when you are out shooting .please be on your guard that you are not being followed home and to keep all your kit ether locked up or out of sight. i know im preaching to the converted but there is some dirty little scumbags out there who will brake in to your house when you go out.

p.s. no it is not happened to me but a friend of mine ...

Why do the Police/your friend think they were followed home? Did they see anything?

A few years back my next door neighbour caught some smack head breaking into his garage. I was in the garden at the time and I heard him call his wife just as the scrote broke free, so we both legged it after him and caught him a couple of hundred yards away. We ended up sat on him for about 5 mins while plod came, to be honest it felt like 30 mins lol. The guy was off his tits on something and it was 2 days before they could interview him I think he got a curfew and a suspended sentence. Grrr Considering the items he had in his pockets, screwdrivers and a chisel with no handle on it I am surprised he didn't get time. Oh and he really destroyed the neighbours garage door.

There really is a massive boundary crossed if someone breaks into your home in the dead of night. It must be terrifying. Absolutely no way of knowing if it's some smack head who only wants your telly for his next fix or some fruit loop who wants to kill you and your family. And seconds to decide when you are disorientated and half awake.

If someone violates your home in those circumstances you should be able to do absolutely anything to defend your home and the occupants. If, in the cold light of day with all the time in the wòrld to analyse the whys and wherefores it appears you over reacted or used excessive force the law should give you the benefit of the doubt.

But, sadly that's not the world we live in. I'm not one who admires every aspect of the liberal gun laws in the US, but I do admire the fact that householders there can take proper measures to defend their families from violent intruders without fear of retribution.

Edited by Blunderbuss

• 2 weeks later...

There really is a massive boundary crossed if someone breaks into your home in the dead of night. It must be terrifying. Absolutely no way of knowing if it's some smack head who only wants your telly for his next fix or some fruit loop who wants to kill you and your family. And seconds to decide when you are disorientated and half awake.

If someone violates your home in those circumstances you should be able to do absolutely anything to defend your home and the occupants. If, in the cold light of day with all the time in the wòrld to analyse the whys and wherefores it appears you over reacted or used excessive force the law should give you the benefit of the doubt.

But, sadly that's not the world we live in. I'm not one who admires every aspect of the liberal gun laws in the US, but I do admire the fact that householders there can take proper measures to defend their families from violent intruders without fear of retribution.

Totally agree but the powers that be, don't sadly.

They are unable or unwilling to protect us for many reasons, stemming probably from removing more of our freedoms in an effort to subdue and control us to protect the peace?

I think the reality would be that whatever way you chose for defense that involved any item used as any sort of weapon would end with your arrest anyway?

Enjoy the investigation and court appearance?

As for reaching for any gun, if complying with the security conditions you probably couldn't reach it anyway

There is little doubt the brilliant laws on guns and knives in this country are working, regardless of the 'business speak' from the Chief Police officer on the front page of the BASC magazine this week. I see a young 14yr old shot in the back of head yesterday in Essex with a shotgun and too many stabbings with knives around the country proves this ............NOT.

I don't think you know how you'd react unless it happened fight or flight (or hide under the duvet if can't escape)

My old man has a scrapyard and over the years apprehended quite a few youths/men stealing from his business. I don't know how he's got away unscathed if i'm honest all luck of the draw.

He has certainly roughed a few up and only ever had to spend half the night in the cell and that's because he lost his temper with a copper as he was powerless to do anything (not the coppers fault), it's got worse though in terms of the victim being treated as the criminal with the law favouring the scumbags.

I don't think I'm made of the same metal as my old man, when I went down one evening with him following an alert on his premises I was ****ting myself, it was my first time with him and I was shaking with adrenaline, in the dead of night someone could be hiding anywhere and be tooled up not something I enjoyed doing at all and was always thankful to get back home and in bed.

I do have a different stance for different scenarios:

Scumbag/Doler feeding a habit or their next purchase of ciggies and special bre. Usually trying to steal contents of a car/van. I'd confront them, hopefully give them a hiding and hold them in submission until the police get there. Have to be weary though as tool thefts seems to be organised in some circles as mentioned above with the 3 guys.

Organised gang? Just do as your told, protect your family by not obstructing them and let them take the possessions they came for and call the police once safe to do so. George Digweed for example they accessed the house so quickly he didn't have time to react and it's probably a good job seeing as the same gang murdered somebody else they were thieving from.

Two very different animals in my opinion.

Have a manner of items behind curtains and strategically placed around the home.

I did think the other evening my cabinet is upstairs and all my carts are downstairs hidden away. So I now have a handful upstairs just incase.

Was awoken this morning at 2am by the gsd going nuts at something. Probably a horse or cow out the back, but wasn't willing to take the risk.

I will do whatever is necessary to proctect my loved ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Funnily enough my parents had a cold call this morning, I was sat in their living room. It went something like

Hi, Mr *******, I'm calling to ask if you'd considered having a monitored alarm system.....

*enter the old man, not afraid of anyone, calls a spade a spade and cold calls aren't exactly his favorite passtime*

We've got a dog and a gun, we're alright thanks. Beeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lol, bet that had the poor guy wondering for the rest of the day