Dash Cam Advice

markm

Hi.

I need a dash cam for my car. I'm a teacher and I may need to ferry students back to school from a college.

The LEA safeguarding office has advised I use one of these. I know nothing about them.

Must be able to record sound inside the car.

Small(ish)

Cheap (ish)

Prefer it not to be a fixed installation as I may use the wife's car, or other staff may travel in their car and use it.

Why are you driving students around in your personal vehicle?

Sounds a bad idea imo

Business use on the insurance policy also.My wife school sent her on the mini bus course,which she passed.But after I read the declarations in the MiDAS manual she was given.I told her to tell the head teacher to shove it,which she did.She never has and never will drive that bus! Edited by Davyo

Business use on the insurance policy also.My wife school sent her on the mini bus course,which she passed.But after I read the declarations in the MiDAS manual she was given.I told her to tell the head teacher to shove it,which she did.She never has and never will drive that bus!

What did they say?

If students need transport as part of the education they are provided by the school then the school should be sorting it properly, not getting teachers to drive students around in their personal cars.

Opens up all sorts of potential issues. I'd politely decline.

What did they say?

If students need transport as part of the education they are provided by the school then the school should be sorting it properly, not getting teachers to drive students around in their personal cars.

Opens up all sorts of potential issues. I'd politely decline.

He got told straight,that he had a responsability to advise my wife the implication.However it wasn't until part way through her course when the instructor pointed out the MiDAS stuff.She showed me the MiDAS manual and she got told if she doesn't tell him to stuff it I will.

Apparently some teachers have been going to training days in their own cars.Again unaware that they need business use.HMRC used to get use to travel.We had to show business use on our policies to resources,or you couldn't claim your mileage.They now provide hirecars after they got told "no I'm not going"

Edited by Davyo

I suspect you'd be better off with cctv in your car filming inside rather than what's going on outside. It's a sad world we live in but teachers get accused of all sorts of stuff and it's not safe to be alone in a car with a student nowadays. Most kids are fine but there's a good selection of wrong uns out there that will cry wolf if you upset them.

Hi.

I'm a teacher and I may need to ferry students back to school from a college.

Does your insurance cover you for this? As others have said, its business use if you to use your car for work, but carrying passengers opens a different can of worms.

Edited by Vince Green

Apparently some teachers have been going to training days in their own cars.Again unaware that they need business use.HMRC used to get use to travel.We had to show business use on our policies to resources,or you couldn't claim your mileage.They now provide hirecars after they got told "no I'm not going"

Most insurers have a note in the small print they allow occasional business use for situations such as going on courses etc.

Personally I wouldn't get any dash cam that mounts to the windscreen with a suction cup as they're so obvious your car is just as likely to be broken into to steal the camera itself! I have a tiny one that mounts very high up on the windscreen and its not noticeable unless you're looking for it but before that I had one that just clips over your rear view mirror (I only replaced it as it would not fit my new car). You can get them from Ebay for <£30 but you'll likely need to buy the memory card separate, probably another £15 for a 32gb card (make sure its Class 10 rated)