women txt whilst driving

vampire

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimLondon,

The evidence would be on their phone , time and location when call is made is all traceable. But maybe plod is more interested in other matters than saving lives?

I agree about plod not being bothered, but it still would be difficult to prove it was them making the call etc and not a passenger.

There is research going on about people's creeping addiction to hand held devices. Apparently you get a small dopamine (feel good drug) rush when, for example, you receive a text message and again, apparently, there is an impulse to view it and reply to it even if you are in the middle of something, e.g. driving.

You only have to look at a waiting room full of people glued to their phones, or people arriving in a pub or restaurant and placing their phone on the table in case it goes off.

I have a smart phone which I use for work but increasingly nowadays it goes off in the evening and weekends, and it's always off at night.

I know this is not strictly on topic, but related I guess.

Currently doing 650/700 miles a week, im capped we dont see more accidents, but if there are no cops about then whats the chances, im all for increased penalties, contractors on bonus in video cars or any other factor that brings bad driving into line.

i havnt had a mobile for 8 years now..............its not until you get rid of it you realise how addicted you become...........

It's all well and good, but our society also relies on them, I have to be on call, and I've no idea how I'd cope for example when my daughter is out hacking how I know if she's back safe or not.

But I guess they are positive examples of mobile media, the negatives are immense, as I found out with my recent nightmare of my daughter being bullied online and physically.

Police will do nothing .to much paper work and they will have to get out of the car .you don't see any on foot .

It's like cars with doctored number plates which are illegal a cop car will follow them but do nothing.

They are not be bothered as long as they get paid .it is easy getting a motorist for speeding.he sits in van all

Day taking photos -sends a letter for fine easy

Today Newcastle,car in front didn't move when lights turned green (head down texting).Just give her a little toot(not a blast on the horn) no hand gestures.Just politely getting her attention to the line of traffic behind her.What did I get? 'the middle finger that's what I got'

My partner mentioned a young lady in the left lane at a junction being on her phone with her kids in the back on the way out of Sunderland today. It's sad really.

Geordie try driving, walking or using the bus in Sunderland, it's a nightmare. People walk into buses in Fawcett St and into other people in The Bridges. We have pedestrians, drivers, cyclists all using mobiles. Young mothers lose their toddler children because they are giving it two thumbs...............crazzzzzy. Don't suppose its too different elsewhere.

Seen a new road sign on tinternet a while back, Yellow rectangle black characters, it read "Beware Zombie Phone Users" I'm guessing it was from Australia or Canada, they have that kind of SOH

Apple have the right idea, this feature should be compulsory on all mobile phones.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/05/do-not-disturb-while-driving/

It’s a great idea, but it’s still down to the user to enable it. The idiots that text and chat whilst driving will just switch it off. At least Apple are trying to do something about it.

Phone ‘notifications' have become a major distraction in our lives. Whilst driving they can cause you take your eyes off the road for only a few seconds, which is all it takes for an accident to occur.

Edited by dbob

It's not just women I see plenty of blokes still doing it, 6 points now but people aren't put off.

I mentioned about a prog that was on in the week, dash cams and CCTV one fella on a motorbike was properly shouting at folk on phones whilst filming them, and it also showed the police using a HGV so higher up to catch people, but as my misses said there should have been two coppers as he was driving and looking down to see what people were doing

They were lucky getting the Cab Unit and putting it out on the Roads, as for double manning it .............................er, NO CHANCE (unless they open another box of Bobbies).

Today Newcastle,car in front didn't move when lights turned green (head down texting).Just give her a little toot(not a blast on the horn) no hand gestures.Just politely getting her attention to the line of traffic behind her.What did I get? 'the middle finger that's what I got'

She has probably worn the other fingers and thumbs out !

People ARE getting hurt & killed by such idiots

Should be an instant driving ban. Five years for first offence, lifetime ban if caught again....as well as porridge & heavy fines in both cases.

+1

These people have **** for brains.If they want to go ahead and kill themselves through sheer ****** stupidity, then go ahead, I dont't mind one bit,

but don't involve anyone else. :no: :no: :no:

I crossed the M5 roundabout at Jct 23 yesterday, as I got to my turn up the hill I saw a dark blue saloon, Chevrolet I think, 300 something coming up to the stop line at the roundabout. It didn't stop, the old man(70+) driver was too busy talking into his mobile in his right hand, not looking at all. He shot through the stop line right into my path and then turned up the hill. I managed to avoid him by slamming on the brakes and steering around him. I caught up with the idiot at traffic lights further down and pulled in front of him. Another car pulled alongside him, apparently he had side swiped this bloke on the M5 trying to get from the outside lane to the slip road at the last moment, damage obvious on both cars.

The other chap called the police, I left him my name and number but I don't expect to hear anything.

It's not all youngsters or women, sometimes it's tossers like that old fool who are awful drivers without putting mobiles in the equation!

Any phone use hand held or otherwise should be banned in vehicles, it distracts the driver from doing what they should be concentrating on, and that's being aware of what's going on around them at all times.

Absolutely agree, if you are talking, you still do not have 100% concentration. Stop if you want to use your phone, if someone rings you,

ignore it until you can stop and ring back.

Vets are NOT an emergency service. The others make the judgement that its worth the risk.

Ambulances are usually doubly manned (or 'womanned), Fire Brigade, well pick any one of the other 5 on board, Police vehicles are almost always singly manned now. I can not comment on the current method of radio usage, but I can state that around 10 years ago, the radio was operated via a button on the gear lever of the car. Press to transmit, release to receive. I do not think that stopping to use the radio in a pursuit situation, would be too effective. As for Doctors, after my retirement I spent a couple of years driving for the Locum Service. There was NEVER a need to use the radio or mobile phone whilst driving. If the job was that urgent, an ambulance would be requested.

Edited by Westley

I was standing at a bus stop near Croydon this morning in the rush hour. The traffic was a constant crawl going past the stop as it approached some lights further up.

I saw several people on their phones, surely if that's ten minutes worth at one junction a camera van would scoop up lots of offenders in a morning.

Mostly white van man, and lots of seat belts too. Obviously no political will to catch them

It is an addiction, my stepson cannot (so he says) live without his phone and the only time it is not in his hand is when he is asleep, they simply cannot resist the lure to snapchat, instagram or whatever.

There is research going on about people's creeping addiction to hand held devices. Apparently you get a small dopamine (feel good drug) rush when, for example, you receive a text message and again, apparently, there is an impulse to view it and reply to it even if you are in the middle of something, e.g. driving.

You only have to look at a waiting room full of people glued to their phones, or people arriving in a pub or restaurant and placing their phone on the table in case it goes off.

I have a smart phone which I use for work but increasingly nowadays it goes off in the evening and weekends, and it's always off at night.

I know this is not strictly on topic, but related I guess.

Years ago a lot more accidents were down to smoking but often went unrecorded as such. Years ago a whole family we know were wiped out by a car going the wrong way in a contraflow. Inside the car that hit them they found an old boy with a half filled pipe and an open tobacco pouch, also dead.

Edited by Vince Green

Years ago a lot more accidents were down to smoking but often went unrecorded as such. Years ago a whole family we know were wiped out by a car going the wrong way in a contraflow. Inside the car that hit them they found an old boy with a half filled pipe and an open tobacco pouch, also dead.

Smoking Kills