Big Ben

krugerandsmith

And £29 000 000 to carry it out! :rolleyes:

That is almost all work to the tower; redo the roof (made of cast iron), repair stonework, new lift installed in old ventilation shaft. The work to the clock itself is a 'clean and inspect' and I don't believe the bells have any work except possible repairs to any rusted parts of the frame. The clock faces/hands are having some repair/replace work. I bet a fair chunk of the cost will be the scaffolding - as I understand they are scaffolding the whole tower for 4 years.

Damned if they do Damned if they don't.

The volume of sound from the bells is too high even with the best ear protection.

If they don't stop them they will be accuse of bending the health and safety rules when it suits the mp's

However as to the time span and therefore cost that is another matter

That brings in tourism that will pay for this work... With out these landmarks our capital would not be the destination it is.

Ok,turn it into a Travelodge or if you don't want soley to rely on tourists then turn it I to a Weatherspoons.Thst way we will get the benefits we pay out back in.

Knock it down and as davyo said, spend the money services for the people!

Knock it down!! What next, melt down the last flying Lancaster bomber to make railway tracks in the aim of lowing public rail fares?

Its probably the most iconic building in the UK, a symbol that represents who we are as a nation.

Not to mention I cant imagine the cost of the demolition would be particularly cheap either.

Edited by zipdog

Hold on, i did'nt say knock it down, i ment there are other pressing issues to deal with 1st. I'm sure there is many hospitals or schools that need repairing.Maybe just patch it up a bit and sort out priorities 1st.

I get the impression that that is what has been happening for decades and the whole building is now way beyond further similar repairs.

I know; exasperating isn't it!

One of the 'gripes' I have is that we have many many fine buildings in the country - the vast majority looked after by the (private individual) owners. Since these are listed, we (yes, I am an owner of a listed building) are very restricted in what we can do - and wheat materials we can use and what practical changes we can make. We get no help at all with the extra cost of this.

For example - recent work I have had done was the rebuilding of some badly rotten sash windows. For reasons I won't detail in full, the 'premium' for having the work done to fully meet the listed buildings requirements about double the cost. Now it would be very nice if the private individual could get a little help with this - such as a VAT waiver.

Government can find £29M easily enough for their listed building - I'm not asking for any subsidy ........ just not to have to pay the VAT on top of the materials and labour costs - since government rules have doubled the cost of the work needed. Note that my house was not listed when acquired - that was just dropped on it later - by means of registered letter.

It's amazing that (apparently) the clockwork has not previously been stripped down despite being in constant use for over 150 years - good bit of Victorian engineering

It did actually have a fairly big overhaul during the eighties , I remember well the climb to the clock room several times a day carting building materials up to repair the damage to the walls after the cast iron frame broke fairly spectatually embedding bits of frame into the walls . Had anyone been in the room at the time I can't think they would have faired well ..but after 100 + years I suppose the odd hick up should be forgiven ..we also replaced some war damaged cast iron roof tiles , each one could barely be moved by two people ..iconic building that belongs to the nation and should be repaired and restored ..