Here we go again? Plastic.

old man

The UK government levy an extra charge on plastic packaging etc for UK citizens.......whilst the rest of the world will just carry on dumping plastic, most of which will end up in the sea.......but never mind the UK Government will be seen to being doing something!........Even if everyone knows without the rest of the world complying........it will have little or no effect! Except that the the UK government can squeeze a few extra quid for the exchequer, out of the ordinary UK tax payer!

I have seen reference to 2 different studies recently that suggest 90% of the plastic waste in the ocean comes from only 10 river systems, none of which are western European.

Despite the UK not being a massive contributor to plastic waste, I am happy to see initiatives to reduce our reliance on plastic, especially within packaging materials.  Excess packaging is something that really grates me.

I do agree that a levy on plastic without any practical initiative that can demonstrate a reduction in plastic use is nothing other than opportunism and effectively a tax.

We have a scheme at work where they put a sticker on all plastic bottles and cans the university sells at catering outlets or vending machines , and we can put them in a recycling machine and get a 10 pence voucher  that can be redeemed against food or drink or cash or donated to student causes 

When it first came out it was easy free money and i could get £30 extra a shift  just picking up bottles or cans students where to lazy to recycle now everybody seems to have clicked its free easy money and i struggle to get between a £10 and £20  butthere talking about bring his scheme out all over scotland and they sell the scrap bottles and cans to some foreign country 

During various night fishing trips after the Warwickshire Avon  Barbel, when the bankside vegitation dies it is covered in plastic bottles subsequently when the river floods they all go south to the sea.

My solution,  Glass bottle with a fifty pence deposit returnable, I can then scoure the riverbank and pay for my fishing. Simples!!

We used to have a levy on glass bottles, i would get 3d on a beer bottle  returned to the off-licence in our local pub, and similar to the corona lorry. It used to give us some pocket money, there was no bottle litter and it worked. What went wrong with that system?

Profit. There's stacks of bucks to be made in rubbish and recycling and you're not allowed to make a small fortune from it without spending a large fortune getting there. If we all had separated skips for separated rubbish in each street, as neighbourhoods we'd be better off after weighing it in. But you can't do that, only the councils can do that and you're going to pay them to do it.

40 years ago we knew nothing by modern standards,    meat and all confectionary was wrapped in brown paper, chips were wrapped in news paper and all drinks were in glass bottles with a refund  now supermarket packaging fills the bin , nobody knows where their food comes from      still not sure if we are going forwards or backwards regards footprint / pollution etc   less affluent country's nothing goes to waste recycled one way or another 

On 22/12/2017 at 19:13, panoma1 said:

The UK government levy an extra charge on plastic packaging etc for UK citizens.......whilst the rest of the world will just carry on dumping plastic, most of which will end up in the sea.......but never mind the UK Government will be seen to being doing something!........Even if everyone knows without the rest of the world complying........it will have little or no effect! Except that the the UK government can squeeze a few extra quid for the exchequer, out of the ordinary UK tax payer!

True.    Most of the plastic washed up on our shores came off passing ships.

9 hours ago, krugerandsmith said:

True.    Most of the plastic washed up on our shores came off passing ships.

Erm... no, it didn’t come off of ships, I know it’s an easy option to pass the blame to ships but there are very strict rules about what we can/can’t dump in the ocean, so struck intact that we can’t even dump clean water from one part of the world in another part, so there is definitely no plastic coming from ships.

oh and the fine for any ship dumping materials that the shouldn’t be is more or less unlimited, just last yeah (2016)  princess cruises was fined $40,000,000 for something similar to this, so no, it’s not coming from ships

F057B91F-1183-4787-9EC7-ADBFC1B2738E.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tim Kelly said:

Princess cruises must be pretty annoyed being fined 40 million for something they didn't do then!

Yeah there’s always companies that will want to break the law just like there’s people that will always want to break the law, but 99% of ships and there companies wouldn’t do it 

Erm... no, it didn’t come off of ships...............so there is definitely no plastic coming from ships.

Yeah there’s always companies that will want to break the law just like there’s people that will always want to break the law, but 99% of ships and there companies wouldn’t do it 

You were very definite, but seem to have modified your stance. Perhaps this company were one of the few caught. Where do you get your figure of 99% from? I trust it isn't just an estimate.

52 minutes ago, Jay1234 said:

just googled 'ships fined for dumping rubbish in sea' think your 99% of not dumping stuff in the sea is a bit out.

If the rest of the world take part or not we should set an example and glass bottles sounds like a move in the right direction. We could also look at cartridges. Do they have to be plastic. Maybe an extra levy on plastic to help us move to paper. You can't love the countryside and then step aside from protecting what you love.

14 minutes ago, oowee said:

If the rest of the world take part or not we should set an example and glass bottles sounds like a move in the right direction. We could also look at cartridges. Do they have to be plastic. Maybe an extra levy on plastic to help us move to paper. You can't love the countryside and then step aside from protecting what you love.

Paper would be good, not sure how we would get around the wet weather side of things but I’m sure there would be a way around it, good idea tho 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Guns on their own don't kill people, people kill people.........do you stop people killing people, by controlling/banning guns?........equally plastic cannot on its own pollute the sea, people pollute the sea!.......introducing an extra levy on plastic is missing the target!..........placing a financial levy onto the pollutant, costs everyone........whilst ignoring the actual polluter

Most responsible people do not drop litter, so why should we all pay for the actions of the few??...............Yep! its easier to penalise everyone than catch and penalise the offenders!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Guns on their own don't kill people, people kill people.........do you stop people killing people, by controlling/banning guns?........equally plastic cannot on its own pollute the sea, people pollute the sea!.......introducing an extra levy on plastic is missing the target!..........placing a financial levy onto the pollutant, costs everyone........whilst ignoring the actual polluter

Most responsible people do not drop litter, so why should we all pay for the actions of the few??...............Yep! its easier to penalise everyone than catch and penalise the offenders!

Your last paragraph being the sole corner stone of our legal system?

2 hours ago, Jay1234 said:

Its interesting you say that because it flies completely in the face of what my mate Gordon (not our Gordon on here) said recently. After he came out of the Navy he worked for two years on the cruise liners as an engineering officer. He worked on one of the really big names cruising fairly long haul cruises. Admittedly it was about 30 years ago.

About 3am every morning , when the passengers were asleep, absolutely everything went over the back of the boat. All the meat, fish etc cooked every day was kept in massive freezers packed floor to ceiling in polystyrene stacking cases and hundreds of empty ones went over the side every night, plus all the cabin waste, shampoo bottles razors etc , bar waste, bottles (many plastic) etc. His was only one of many ship working in that same part of the world  

Around the pacific rim there are at least five or six countries who still dump all their waste into the sea where the current takes it away. 

If you go back twenty or more years ago it would have been sixty, including London who  did the same dumping barges of waste and sewage into the North sea, so lets not get smug