Anybody else noticed

Walker570

I was sat in one of my cabins waiting for a tree rat and noticed that leaves where falling like it was October.  The poplars are usually the first to lose leaves but not before the end of September here in Leicestershire. I have already run around the grass areas with the mower once, to shred them making it easier for the grass to grow through. Tree tops thinning enough to flight pigeons.

Obviously due to the unusually dry spell and it will be interesting to see if December and January turn out like '76  '77 when tractors couldn't get onto the fields without sinking up to the axles after torrential rainfall for weeks.

Looking at the forecast predicted for September looks like some pleasant days on the partridges as the dry weather continues but temps drop.

Edited by Walker570

Noticed this today also, parked up by a poplar today and the leaves were falling like we had just had a hard frost. Horse Chestnut are usually the first to show sign and although they are all browned off like tobacco leaves they aren't shedding like the poplars.   

Autumn is well on the way here now. Cool, damp mornings, lots of wild berries ripe already, the geese have started moving about, the swallows are queuing up on the electric wires thinking about going home. It’s still warm in the day but it’s dropping cold at night. Hopefully it stays warm for a good bit longer yet to help the grass recover now there’s a bit of moisture about. 

18 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Yes the horse chestnut outside my kitchen window is very brown

This is the horse chestnut in my field - and the brown patches are, I have been told, leaf miner damage. 

Locally, there were several large old horse chestnuts, four on my property, and in the last 3 years, three have fallen down (one of these being on my property).  They had canker.  The other three I had, and one belonging to a neighbour, would have caused major damage to (other peoples) property if they fell, so these have been taken down as well.  One of mine was very rotten inside, the other two less so, but with nearby trees falling with no notice, you can't take a chance when it might well demolish someone's thatched cottage!  It is quite a process as we are in a 'Conservation area', so had to get permission and also close to power lines - mine were in the field, so OK, but neighbours had to get the road closed whilst the work was in progress.

The one remaining on my property (pictured) has both leaf miner and canker, but is a much younger, smaller tree (planted by my father in 1973) and won't damage any property if it falls.

The information I have been given is that the leaf miner cannot be treated, and in itself makes the tree 'ill' in that it damages the ability to photosynthesise and grow vigorously, but doesn't kill it.  However - if the tree is weakened growth wise by the leaf miner, the canker can grow and spread more rapidly, leading to physical weakness and possible falling boughs/whole tree.  Neither seem to have any viable 'cures'.

Horse Chestut 23 Aug 18.jpg