Snap Cap Tension

yorkkie

Hi All,

I bet this opens a can of worms and opinions...  As I have just bought my first gun (a Beretta 686E EVO) I read the manual and it states that  when dry firing you should use Snap Caps.  As they are adjustable how much tension should you feel on the cap?

I guess there will be people who say you don't need to use them and others that say you don't need to release spring pressure for storage of the gun. 

As a newbie I am happy for any feedback on the subject.

Thanks All

Welcome. I have never ever dry fired a shotgun in my life and can't understand why anyone other than a gunsmith would feel the need. Snap caps were designed for no other purpose than to part the unknowledgeable from their cash, but I'm not ridiculing you as I once bought some too, being led to believe I needed them. I didn't.  🙂 They're quite good ones with brass inserts; I can't recall the last time I saw them. 

Edited: I tell a lie; just remembered I did once dry fire a shotgun! 

Edited by Scully

I do have a pair of snap caps and although don't use them on my shotguns (I dont dry fire either) I have used them when I have bought second hand shotguns to check the firing pins work and you don't get a double discharge, and the ejectors work etc.

Edited by prem1234

Folk who have replied saying don't bother with snap caps are probably implying (quite correctly, in my opinion) that there is no need to release the spring tension when simply putting the gun away until the next outing.

However, some people recommend that you regularly practise at home, mounting and swinging a shotgun on an imaginary target.   If you want to make that feel more realistic by actually pulling the trigger, it would certainly be sensible to use case snap caps.   Maybe one of the professional gunsmiths will comment on what damage, if any, can result from dry firing without snap caps (which perhaps depends on the gun's design?).

hello, if i remember correct have always had some snap caps as i use to practice indoors much to my mothers grumbles, this would be late 1960s early 1970s, then i needed some work done at the gunsmiths think rebore chokes, as i opened gun with snap caps , comment from him ******* things despite they being nice turned brass, now i only use after cleaning ejectors, oh and shout bang on the imaginary target unless i miss:lol: maybe gunman can give the professional answer ??????   

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

PLEASE, PLEASE,   do NOT use a fired cartridge. Firstly it is possible for the firing pin to penetrate the already fired cap, which can cause the pin to bend upon opening the gun. (hence the spring loading in the snap cap), BUT the main reason being,  is that I have experienced the putting of a hole in the clubhouse floor, injuring 2 people, a hole in a different clubhouse wall and a third that ruined a perfectly good gunslip and gave a mole the shock of it's life. All of these incidents involved snap caps or used cartridge cases, becoming mixed with live rounds. Snap caps, IF you must have them, should remain in the bottom of the gun cupboard and never taken near a shooting ground. I banned them from the ground that I ran.

22 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

Folk who have replied saying don't bother with snap caps are probably implying (quite correctly, in my opinion) that there is no need to release the spring tension when simply putting the gun away until the next outing.

However, some people recommend that you regularly practise at home, mounting and swinging a shotgun on an imaginary target.   If you want to make that feel more realistic by actually pulling the trigger, it would certainly be sensible to use case snap caps.   Maybe one of the professional gunsmiths will comment on what damage, if any, can result from dry firing without snap caps (which perhaps depends on the gun's design?).

That is what I am doing, believe me I need the practice....

6 minutes ago, Westley said:

PLEASE, PLEASE,   do NOT use a fired cartridge. Firstly it is possible for the firing pin to penetrate the already fired cap, which can cause the pin to bend upon opening the gun. (hence the spring loading in the snap cap), BUT the main reason being,  is that I have experienced the putting of a hole in the clubhouse floor, injuring 2 people, a hole in a different clubhouse wall and a third that ruined a perfectly good gunslip and gave a mole the shock of it's life. All of these incidents involved snap caps or used cartridge cases, becoming mixed with live rounds. Snap caps, IF you must have them, should remain in the bottom of the gun cupboard and never taken near a shooting ground. I banned them from the ground that I ran.

Thanks I can understand that argument, it sounds very sensible...  I wont take them to the ground!  

Great feedback from experience, thank you

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Don't forget to shout bang too!:rolleyes:

how loud should I shout and do I need to be wearing my ear defenders    🤣

So in summary most people don't think I need to release springs for storage...  In that case I have wasted  £6 but I have wasted more on fishing gear that I don't use over the years.  It would be interesting to hear from any gunsmiths if they think differently...

2 minutes ago, yorkkie said:

Thanks I can understand that argument, it sounds very sensible...  I wont take them to the ground!  

Great feedback from experience, thank you

I do own snap caps BUT, 4 of them are of the chrome variety and are in the makers leather gun cases, purely for show. I also have 2 of the plastic type, which I have painted the heads white (correction fluid) on. These are in an old English gun that has  V springs, and it only comes out a couple of days in the year.

59 minutes ago, Westley said:

There are subtle differences between a loaded cartridge and a fired cartridge . Even mixed in the bottom of your bag .

harnser

44 minutes ago, Westley said:

I do own snap caps BUT, 4 of them are of the chrome variety and are in the makers leather gun cases, purely for show. I also have 2 of the plastic type, which I have painted the heads white (correction fluid) on. These are in an old English gun that has  V springs, and it only comes out a couple of days in the year.

In the practical shotgun world, at the end of each stage, the range officials will call “show clear, drop the hammer, ease springs,” or words to that effect , basically to prove the gun and chamber empty while in a safe direction and under the control of the said RO. I have never heard of any damage occurring due to this practice.

To check firing pin operation I do use a solid brass snap cap (inherited from somewhere or other) with a piece of masking tape over the centre. This I found useful when looking for ‘light strike’ problems 

4 hours ago, Westley said:

Brilliant post - my sentiments entirely 👌

6 hours ago, prem1234 said:

I do have a pair of snap caps and although don't use them on my shotguns (I dont dry fire either) I have used them when I have bought second hand shotguns to check the firing pins work and you don't get a double discharge, and the ejectors work etc.

Only time I’ve used them was buying a used gun privately, unless I’m being thick (wouldn’t be the first time) and am missing how else you would be able to easily check how the gun functioned?