Changes To The General Licence

Taken from Packham's website crowdfunding page.

Wild Justice is seeking a judicial review of Natural England's decision to issue General Licences GL04, GL05 and GL06 on 1 January 2019. Similar licences apply to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and our case will have implications in those countries too.

We are not asking for the 2019 General Licences to be withdrawn, but rather that Natural England does not issue further General Licences and instead develops a legal system for regulating and monitoring the killing of birds if lethal control is absolutely necessary as a last resort.

We see the General Licence system as a clear example of how wildlife killing is largely unregulated in the UK. The system is lax and allows gamekeepers, farmers and others to kill birds without any proper oversight or regulation.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, magman said:

and the most common bird in the uk is 😯

It ain't about the birds.........it's an attack on shooters and shooting, the Antis are attempting to regulate shooting out of existence by lobbying for controlling legislation and where it exists, exploiting any weaknesses in the current law!

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Well .my farmer usually cuts barley first .(around july ) 

Then wheat .rape and then maise in late october .so i could shoot any  barley wheat rape stubble till the maise is cut as im protecting the maise .then the rape is in soon and im protecting that .

You could, but would you want to defend yourself in court? So when have you seen corvids or pigeons on standing maize? 

Im not doing any pigeon or crow shooting at the moment as there are no birds about . (Why ? There are no crops to protect , atm) .but they will be back in numbers later when they are decimating the fields .its kind of self regulating .

I know it .the farmer knows it .every one knows it but packham .

Just now, turbo33 said:

You could, but would you want to defend yourself in court? So when have you seen corvids or pigeons on standing maize? 

Crows Often 

I would defend my self in court .why wouldnt i stand up for the things i do .

Should i just roll over .?

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Im not doing any pigeon or crow shooting at the moment as there are no birds about . (Why ? There are no crops to protect , atm) .but they will be back in numbers later when they are decimating the fields .its kind of self regulating .

Crows Often 

Well all I can say, is that there isn't enough evidence of that on a commercial scale or we would be safe under GL04. 

The only real line of defence, is the Crows aren't on there as I've prevented them. Good answer, but not the three months before, when there are no cobs.

Edited by turbo33

The way I see it is, they will bring in a closed season for all birds, you will be able to shoot outside this season only with a special licence, to gain this licence during the closed season you will need to show (prove) you have tried all non lethal methods first.

Think a lot of shooters will just not bother.  

jesus i have just  finished 500 000   of each 32 gram 5 and    6 s   for stock   and taken 2 new shops on to day   oh no i will have to go back to importing cars       hold on i  have just had 90 000   winchester subsonics in 42 gram anybody  want to start rabbit shooting  nowt said about them is there     wot next

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Crows Often 

I would defend my self in court .why wouldnt i stand up for the things i do .

Should i just roll over .?

No, Im not suggesting you "Roll over". But if were protected by the General Licences, then we wouldn't be discussing this on PW. We are not, hence the legal challenge to the GL. 

And as proof of that, one of the above posts suggest someone in difficulties from stubble shooting. This has to change, we need legal support that cannot be challenged. Its not a simple case of trying to stand up for the things you do......its not going to sway anyone, least of all a legal challenge.

As said above .its more an attack on gun ownership .Trying to take away the guns is tricky .but take away what you can shoot or do with it .then you dont have to remove the guns .they will just stop shooting .. game days and .Clay pigeons next. 

The government  probably encouraged  packham to file this lawsuit .

Get a name behind it and it looks like they are innocent .

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

As said above .its more an attack on gun ownership .Trying to take away the guns is tricky .but take away what you can shoot or do with it .then you dont have to remove the guns .they will just stop shooting .. game days and .Clay pigeons next. 

Hmmm, I think thats a bit paranoid and a bit of an urban tale for the last 25+ years. There will come  a time when the vegans take over, but I'm not convinced its imminent.

26 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

It ain't about the birds.........it's an attack on shooters and shooting, the Antis are attempting to regulate shooting out of existence by lobbying for controlling legislation and where it exists, exploiting any weaknesses in the current law!

Yep, rats and cheese, nibble, nibble, one day all gone?

It's just occurred to me that I'm sat at home with a S1 shotgun I currently have no 'good reason' to possess. 🙂

24 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Any one that has got a fac shotgun for control of birds your good reason has gone

Just seen this; hadn't realised you'd pre-empted my post. 👍

30 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

This. This is what it's all about. There are several circumstances where we shouldn't be shooting pigeons for example, but do, and I can see this changing. Having to prove all other none lethal methods have failed is going to be one helluva curtailment, and that farmers call at short notice may be a thing of the past. We'll have to wait and see, but meantime our organisations should be all over this like a rash. 

6 minutes ago, Tford said:

Make sure you register with Natural England ready to apply online... they take 5 days to verify the account prior to the ability to apply.

https://cwm.naturalengland.gov.uk/home/NE/CWM/CWMPortalPage.caf?mode=cust

T

Maybe I'm being daft and it has been a long day, but where is the registration bit. All I can see is for existing users.

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

... meantime our organisations should be all over this like a rash. 

Don't hold your breath, they've proved pretty toothless thus far.

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Maybe I'm being daft and it has been a long day, but where is the registration bit. All I can see is for existing users.

Click tab that says 'customer registration'..