Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mossy835

no birds about.

Recommended Posts

went out yesterday on new drilled wheat, on 2 farms and no pigeons about.any one finding this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im on family duties today as ive been working too much, so not had a look about in a fortnight. Might grab the gun and have a mooch about later if im allowed. 

But ive seen big numbers (for around here) on the maize getting cut over the last week, bit annoyed as i asked to shoot and was declined, over the next couple of days hes had all manner of bird scarer's out, a new one to me - 50ft poles with kites on. 

 

Edited by strimmer_13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen lots of pigeons this last week, all in the woods and hedgerows, walking one hedgerow/field with lots of oaks there must have been 20/30 birds in and around each oak, putting the binoculars across the woods I could see plenty of bird movement, mainly around oaks, they are defiantly on the acorns around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Im on family duties today as ive been working too much, so not had a look about in a fortnight. Might grab the gun and have a mooch about later if im allowed. 

But ive seen big numbers (for around here) on the maize getting cut over the last week, bit annoyed as i asked to shoot and was declined, over the next couple of days hes had all manner of bird scarer's out, a new one to me - 50ft poles with kites on. 

 

They`ve been using those kites on poles around here for quite a few years now, but the pigeons very quickly get used to them and can be seen feeding within feet of the pole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Old Boggy said:

They`ve been using those kites on poles around here for quite a few years now, but the pigeons very quickly get used to them and can be seen feeding within feet of the pole.

If they wanted a non-lethal tactic he could of let me in there 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only birds I've seen are high flying on flight lines. Or sat in trees, with the glut of Scots and berries they have no need of crops yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time last week there were none in the usual places on the Wolds near me. During the week there was an influx of immigrants and now there are a few separate flocks one numbering several hundred.

Some were shot on a flight line yesterday, most contained beech mast, some wheat gleanings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JDog said:

This time last week there were none in the usual places on the Wolds near me. During the week there was an influx of immigrants and now there are a few separate flocks one numbering several hundred.

Some were shot on a flight line yesterday, most contained beech mast, some wheat gleanings.

I meant to let you know that a few of the ones we got had beech mast and wheat in the crop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw a lot of Pigeons yesterday working on some old Bean stubble's , as we haven't got another shoot for two weeks we could have had a go today , with it being dull and spitting of rain and having a tiring day yesterday I decided to give it miss , must be getting old :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Travelling on the A140 today I saw a quite a few fields of drilling just South of Diss with many pigeons feeding, although I saw much pigeon activity in and around the oak trees en route which indicated a good acorn harvest in this area.

 Also, having booked into a lovely pub in Tivetshall St.Mary in Nelson's county this afternoon, there is a line of oaks across the road with much pigeon activity which kept my attention just watching them obviously making the most of the acorns. 

OB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am on Suffolk / Cambs border not had many around here for a few weeks , odd ones in fields but no numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None around my area, but then it was spares all harvest. Had a dozen corvids on fresh seeded grass a couple of weeks ago, but they completely stopped coming after about an hour and 3/4s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have a look in the morning before the rain comes in , could be that everywhere is so wet and soggy that's why they are staying in the woods , must admit , the last few weeks have been a bit sparse , as said still plenty of food about, suck it and see season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not seen many all harvest but lately most seem to be on wheat stubbles but there are huge areas unploughed due to the poor weather we`re having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Travelling on the A140 today I saw a quite a few fields of drilling just South of Diss with many pigeons feeding, although I saw much pigeon activity in and around the oak trees en route which indicated a good acorn harvest in this area.

 Also, having booked into a lovely pub in Tivetshall St.Mary in Nelson's county this afternoon, there is a line of oaks across the road with much pigeon activity which kept my attention just watching them obviously making the most of the acorns. 

OB

A lot of those birds you saw South of Diss have turned up in last 2 weeks OB. Have been very few about till recently. They lean birds in very spooky flocks not interested in decoying that split up and don't come back as i found out again Saturday. There were 350+  when i set up on a promising field. I only managed 2 a jackdaw and a squirrel in the 2hrs i sat it out. Packed up and shot  a  hedge line between there and other drilling's and block of stubble's for another 6 before they just left the area. Walked the hedges for another 3 squirrels and 2 rabbits. Despite what the shooting press been reporting saw wild English partridges on 3 farms doing well still. Despite  loads of dumped foxes harassing wildlife locally. Also saw flock a of 20+ lapwing 2 little egrets and 4 late swallows heading east. Mixed flocks of hundreds of finches buntings larks and pippets on the stubble's. . . . Were you in the Ram?    NB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jall25 said:

Hi guys

Thousands in Derbyshire - came in a week or so ago

Hammering the beech mast 

Can you please shoot them in a southerly direction. :lol: We could do with lots more down here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a lot of activity yesterday afternoon between Goole and York .Quite a few game shoots in progress too,so maybe that was moving a fair few birds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty in south Derbyshire if your in the right place at right time to many other food sources at moment but bide your time it will all come right soon plenty of crows as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we have a few biggish flocks of several hundred on our volunteer beans, now its been drilled and the green/beans are on the surface they have been getting on it. as usual with cold weather pigeon shooting. one bang and they lift with just the odd few coming round. the rest just head of into the horizon.  this farm is sudbury suffolk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a field full of wheat drilling seeds everywhere on top went out Sunday 100-200 feeding on it early morning 1 shot hushpower 410 all gone hardly any come back ended with 8 Woody's and a rook, 

Been watching this morning and seeing hundreds and hundreds of migrating pigeons heading south for the last couple of hours pretty high up but dropping 5 -10 fields away from ours into a big wood where they roost every winter in the thousands, so hopefully they join the rest of them and find our field soon, 

Edited by Shotguneddy
Spelling mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw literally thousands on Monday in Hampshire, three of us ended up with 190. T'was a good day for me, I hardly had time to pick up between 12 and 2:00pm. They were on old barley stubble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...