Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy1950

Testing of sub 12 ft/lb Air weapons by Police.

This is an age old question that constantly comes up in conversation but has any one got 1st hand experience of having their rifle or pistol tested by the Police?

I have run an airgun club for 30 years and hunted with airguns up and down the country but have never come across anyone who has had a pull for this.

I am very aware of the Law and the fact that changing pellets and also a change in air temperature can have and it`s the shooters responsibility to stay sub 12 ft/lbs whatever the circumstances.

Every now and again I have a purge at my range and test the guns being used as much for my own knowledge as well as keeping newbies within the law.

FB

I would wager they only commission tests on air guns when investigating a crime, where air guns were involved!..........Reactive rather than proactive policing!

Thank you for your reply which I do appreciate and concur.

I was hoping to keep this thread tightly on 1st hand information, not anecdotal unsubstantiated comment, more in the area of random type testing.

Regards

FB

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

I would wager they only commission tests on air guns when investigating a crime, where air guns were involved!..........Reactive rather than proactive policing!

Only know my mate had his taken when we were kids (mid 90s). Only reason it was taken as they were trying to prove it was us who were shooting holes through the scouts hutts windows. Later proven to be catapults and not us, and over 6 months to get the old airsporter back. Never once was it mentioned about being tested as that thing must of been over as it had a bloody great square section spring in it. 

Cardigan police around 1996-7. Small station, nearest main station would of been about a 30 mile trip either way. 

It's reactive testing, to a scientist who has all toys to test it's power. It's not tinkered with in any way. They will see if it's been adapted (drilling transfer ports etc). They use a few types of pellets. All the ones I've sent have been for a reason and all were well over. Rarely it's the force armourer to check and that's normally due to finding the owner where he shouldn't be (armed trespass, passenger seat down a country lane clamping pheasants etc) and not because it's believed to be over, just a check when considering other offences. 

I don't know anyone who has had their gun tested, or know anyone who knows anyone who has had their gun tested.