Deaths

bwana

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

1,400 people die every day in the U.K. regardless of C-19. Whilst it’s sad that people are dying with C-19 the numbers aren’t all in addition to the 1,400. The vast majority would have died in the short term anyway. 

I don’t know this, but on what you say. How many have died directly as a result of this virus and nothing else"as in no underlying health issues" Does such a figure even exist, i simply dont know. any clues. guesses. ?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I don’t know this, but on what you say. How many have died directly as a result of this virus and nothing else"as in no underlying health issues" Does such a figure even exist, i simply dont know. any clues. guesses. ?

What proportion of the population have no comorbidities? Someone with an underlying health issue ( high BMI for example) may live a normal life. The same is the case for the oldder population. With covid and taken sick on day ten the odds are not in their favour. 

17 minutes ago, oowee said:

What proportion of the population have no comorbidities? Someone with an underlying health issue ( high BMI for example) may live a normal life. The same is the case for the oldder population. With covid and taken sick on day ten the odds are not in their favour. 

We live in very uncertain times, and i think for those of us who actually make it out the other end of all this"whenever that may be" can consider  our selves as very blessed people indeed. . .

19 hours ago, AVB said:

Actually stats show that generally we are very compliant and more compliant than other European countries. Personally I don’t want to live in a police state. 

I don’t know anybody who has had a confirmed case let alone died. A couple of people I know had a bad cough and fever early Feb but that’s all. 

No need or desire for a police state, just some common sense and less selfishness maybe?

10 hours ago, old man said:

No need or desire for a police state, just some common sense and less selfishness maybe?

This. If more people actually did what they were meant to, then maybe the numbers would be lower, but who knows, and what annoys me is the BBC and other reporters asking the same question every day knowing the answer is very vague because no one in the world was preparing for a pandemic.. 

16 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

This. If more people actually did what they were meant to, then maybe the numbers would be lower, but who knows, and what annoys me is the BBC and other reporters asking the same question every day knowing the answer is very vague because no one in the world was preparing for a pandemic.. 

Oi - no need for plain simple facts to explain why there's insufficient PPE or testing kits that are on urgent back order. :)

Office of National Statistics data  for all registered deaths per week up to w/e 27 March.  As you can see we are running below the average for the last 5 years, probably due to the mild winter. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/datasets/weeklyprovisionalfiguresondeathsregisteredinenglandandwales

Weekly figures 2020 is the tab to look for in the excel file. 

18 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

From LBC's Facebook page

The rise of coronavirus deaths per country outside of China. Every one of these numbers is an actual person. And in some countries, it's looking out of control.

I wonder what S. Korea are doing right.

hello, interesting that Germany and China have the lowest figures

21 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I wonder what S. Korea are doing right.

I'd hazard a guess at 1) Population does what they're told 2) Hypochondriac society anyway, forever popping pills, so properly scared of this 3) One of the most digitally connected societies anyway, so working from home for the 'white-collar' workforce was easy to implement.

Spoke to a second German colleague earlier and he's not sure if their worldometer figures for fatalities / 1M population reflect people dying with or because of covid. Another friend in india just posted something on FB that indicates Kerala is doing an order of magnitude better than all the other states. Nobody knows if apples are being compared to apples or what...

Regarding S. Korea i thought it was attributable to mass testing, tracing of infected and those they've been in contact with and isolation.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Regarding S. Korea i thought it was attributable to mass testing, tracing of infected and those they've been in contact with and isolation.

I was under the impression Germany were doing this, testing people and tracking their movements then testing people they could have come into contact and locking down small areas.

20200414_175332.jpg.65ea661598e716c00d5649b4dc9486b1.jpg

Germany are certainly doing something right.

S Korea must just be telling pork pies, otherwise they know something others don't?

There was a man on the radio from Austria talking about Austria being able to start lifting restrictions. When asked what Austria was doing right compared to the UK he (more or less) said what do you expect?

His view was the UK hasn't had a proper lock down. We still have buses and trains running, people are still going to work, airports are still open etc.

Austria, apparently, had a real lock down, I suspect Germany was the same. One thing about the Germanic peoples, when they are told to do something they do it to the letter.

Edited by Vince Green

I honestly don't know, I just know you can't compare the numbers between different countries.

I've resorted to tracking the total number of confirmed cases in my borough as that's the most relevant figure for me right now.

The last 9 days go 127 - 194 - 232 - 248 - 299 - 372 - 398 - 424 - 442 - so the biggest daily rise of 73 was four days ago

33 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I was under the impression Germany were doing this, testing people and tracking their movements then testing people they could have come into contact and locking down small areas.

20200414_175332.jpg.65ea661598e716c00d5649b4dc9486b1.jpg

Germany are certainly doing something right.

S Korea must just be telling pork pies, otherwise they know something others don't?

hello, i think Germany and China were quick to put in Government intervention than other countries

28 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

There was a man on the radio from Austria talking about Austria being able to start lifting restrictions. When asked what Austria was doing right compared to the UK he (more or less) said what do you expect?

His view was the UK hasn't had a proper lock down. We still have buses and trains running, people are still going to work, airports are still open etc.

Austria, apparently, had a real lock down, I suspect Germany was the same. One thing about the Germanic peoples, when they are told to do something they do it to the letter.

You mean they didn't just suggest people stay home and expect them to??

Now we have played at lockdown a full proper lockdown for two weeks could probably make a real difference. 

20 hours ago, Mice! said:

You mean they didn't just suggest people stay home and expect them to??

Now we have played at lockdown a full proper lockdown for two weeks could probably make a real difference. 

Yes good plan, "a full proper lock down for 2 weeks" should just about finish most businesses off 👌

7 minutes ago, kennett said:

Yes good plan, "a full proper lock down for 2 weeks" should just about finish most businesses off 👌

If you were going to and from work, not using public transport and so minimising your contact with other people I don't see a problem,  Manchester police apparently broke up over a thousand parties over Easter weekend!!

So how many people are not following the social distancing guidelines? Multiple this across the country and we need a proper lockdown.

We've done well for three weeks a couple more isn't going to hurt anymore.

Or we could just go back to normal and start all over again in a month.