Is this the end of life 2.0?

Raja Clavata

Phasers are FZs bikes from yamaha IE 600s good little bike for what they are comfortable but a tad bland but quite good.

With that out the way.  We are homo sapiens  were homo erectus afore that.

History happened with various empires and all that good stuff, and all the time we were exploiting one another and murdering one another with terrible efficiency only us humans could ever do.

Every now and again we get a Plague or some other pestilence . Lots die. We had one after a big war then 100 years later we are having another now. this one could be man made man created. But it will eventually ease and we will become something like immune to it like other flu etc.

I would like to think the lock down gave us a taste of a time without so much plane activity / cars etc wrecking the environment, and that we might learn that we can get by on a lot less and still be content. even learn a little tollerance from our fellow man. But dont fret, we wont learn anything we will be killing one another plotting wars and murdering one another in next to no time. And we will be flying here flying there just to sit in the sun and Burn out pale skin to look pretty ethnic and do all this wile a good few of us listen to ethnic music all about killing our fellow men.

So there you have it we are here what we are doing what we have done for millions of years. And all the time we need to remember Monty pythons life is **** and then you die.

Enjoy your Phaser nice little bike. :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

You could have a population that are 100% hunter gathering experts. Without agriculture and commercial farming natures larder would be cleared out in a week. In the UK it would be lucky to last that long

The point is that in the developed world no where near 100% would have the skill to survive. I could feed and house my self and family in the short term with the skills ,equipment and knowledge I have but I'm too old to survive for very long and way too old if it came to a fight even if I tried to run away but I would say most of the people that live in my street wouldn't last more than a few weeks if that long as hunter gatherers. So the population would shrink very quickly!

Edited by bluesj

43 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Have you had so much wine that you've forgotten the mechanics of procreation? 😛 

And don't take it out one me, I'm only asking what everyone else is thinking...lol

You know exactly what I meant cheeky,  not male to male 

Anyway, I’m married so what would I know about procreation 

3 hours ago, Grandalf said:

It is my belief that human life is going to change dramatically post this current pandemic  - Or human life is going to extinguish itself completely in the next couple of hundred years.   (That would probably be in the best interests of the Earth by the way).  We keep getting wakeup calls from Mother Nature but we keep ignoring them.   We only have one planet to live on but we are hell bent on destroying it.   It will be many years before we can colonise any other vacant piece of rock going around this or any other sun.

The planet and its 'life' is in no danger whatsoever - but human life, and unfortunately for those many species who are misfortunate enough to have evolved at roughly the same time as us, are probably doomed to extinction.

This planet has survived much greater catastrophes than the global warming and associated problems that humans are throwing at it at the moment.   There have been many occasions when most of the species on earth have disappeared.   (Asteroid strikes and vulcanism for example).  The earth then spins on its axis for another several million or billion years and starts all over again.  

Our human fundamental way of life seems to be totally selfish where we only worry about our own particular problems.   The increase in human population is a complete no brainer but we don't even discuss it on a global scale.   (And then it is only based upon a religious viewpoint rather than a scientific one).   We rape the earth for resources that we don't really need and can't replace once they are used.   Our national political systems seem to be dictatorships or short term governments based on so called democracy, or religion, which are only ever concerned about keeping the voters happy so that they can win the next election.   There is very little planning for the long term future of the world - Or anything else.

By now all our global power requirements could be solved.   Poverty and starvation could be a thing of the past.   Education could be available to everyone.   It should not be necessary, or desirable, for everyone to have a job.   (An interest maybe but not a job).   The resources of the world could, if probably organised, be more than sufficient to feed and house the human population of the world.   Some would have less - Many would have more.

Our technological abilities, if channelled for the good of mankind rather than profit, could solve just about everything we have encountered or caused thus far.   But will it ever be that way?   I very much doubt it.   We are headed towards a gigantic 'decision time' that will either doom us to extinction or be our salvation.   We will probably just ignore it.

At this very moment we have a global crisis being tackled on a nationwide, or even county, basis.   Cost, cost, cost is all we hear and read about.   Resources are what matter - Not cost or profit.   And all caused by the purely artificial monetary system that we have evolved so that nations and people can vie with each other over profit.   If mankind pulled together, pooled resources and knowledge this pandemic would never have occurred.   There would have been a minor hiccup in China which would have been stamped on very firmly and we would have all got on with our pathetic little lives.   As it is we are all fighting for them.

Humans are probably the worst thing that ever happened to Planet Earth.

Sorry, Raja Clavata, I don't think we will make it to 3.0.

Just my view from an old mans perspective...  

A Nobel Prize for this essay would be well deserved. Grandalf, much truth in it. Thanks for including it from another senior member.👍

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Covid is not the tipping point by any means, it just isnt lethal enough.
Its more an exercise in how to control a population without tipping them over the  edge into anarchy, small steps to achieve acceptance of a new world order ?

I believe in a couple of years time CV 19 or CV 20 , whatever will just be given 'the flu' monicker , and will be the seasonal bug bear that no one really talks about, like with the flus we have now.
Until something a LOT more lethal comes along, something with 10+ % mortality rate , right out the box, people wouldnt even NEED to be told to stay indoors !

A population wont comply with 'unreasonable' orders until it is scared enough of consequences, and its a little early yet for the police state.
But if you can convince people theres a real risk of contracting something that will kill you if you leave the house, back it up with scary figures, and a media thats frothing for a 'good' story, you can control that populace whilst making it appear its because you 'care' about them.
The people will accept all kinds of limitations when the right noises are made, war and terrorism are similarly effective.

Remember Logan's Run and the Carousel.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Coming back to COVID, it's pretty clear that global management of the virus is not going to be reached with the current popular trends of nationalism and isolationism, well not for nations like the UK anyway

an alternative path is that something is made to happen that forces us into a new paradigm of social behaviour on a global scale. In this model there would be no countries, borders etc.

6 minutes ago, das said:

Remember Logan's Run and the Carousel

I do indeed, read the book, it's completely different, and a lot more scary. 

Very prophetic. 

an alternative path is that something happens that forces us into a new paradigm of social behaviour on a global scale. In this model there would be no countries, borders etc. - I'm not suggesting it will happen but theoretically it could.

THIS.  It is exactly what is needed in a global economy.   The limited resources of the world should be shared.   But it is not what is happening.   All the nations are at loggerheads.   All the nations are in competition.   Many of the nations are at war.   Many of the nations are super rich - or were until the pandemic came along.   Many of the nations are poor and will remain poor because of their lack of raw materials and education for their people.  

There is no global economy.   It is just a free for all and the survival of the fittest.   The way it has always been. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

A population wont comply with 'unreasonable' orders until it is scared enough of consequences, and its a little early yet for the police state.

But if you can convince people theres a real risk of contracting something that will kill you if you leave the house, back it up with scary figures, and a media thats frothing for a 'good' story, you can control that populace whilst making it appear its because you 'care' about them.
The people will accept all kinds of limitations when the right noises are made, war and terrorism are similarly effective.

I don't think a population will comply with unreasonable orders at all. Telling every one to stay at home could be classed as unreasonable but most people are being payed to stay at home so are willing to go along with it, if they weren't getting pay how many do you think would stay at home? You are right in saying the threat of death is good leverage but only until some thing else is going to kill you first, we all know you are more likely to die in a high speed car crash than at low speeds but how would tell the ambulance drive taking you or a loved one to hospital to slow down     

I agree it all depends on the timeline of the sample points, we could "flatten the curve" a bit if we made discovery of fire life 2.0 and the wheel 3.0 and so on... better?

well by that logic we could be on life 412 by now. 

life 413 we all start dressing as mad max!

17 hours ago, Grandalf said:

It is my belief that human life is going to change dramatically post this current pandemic  - Or human life is going to extinguish itself completely in the next couple of hundred years.   (That would probably be in the best interests of the Earth by the way).  We keep getting wakeup calls from Mother Nature but we keep ignoring them.   We only have one planet to live on but we are hell bent on destroying it.   It will be many years before we can colonise any other vacant piece of rock going around this or any other sun.

The planet and its 'life' is in no danger whatsoever - but human life, and unfortunately for those many species who are misfortunate enough to have evolved at roughly the same time as us, are probably doomed to extinction.

This planet has survived much greater catastrophes than the global warming and associated problems that humans are throwing at it at the moment.   There have been many occasions when most of the species on earth have disappeared.   (Asteroid strikes and vulcanism for example).  The earth then spins on its axis for another several million or billion years and starts all over again.  

Our human fundamental way of life seems to be totally selfish where we only worry about our own particular problems.   The increase in human population is a complete no brainer but we don't even discuss it on a global scale.   (And then it is only based upon a religious viewpoint rather than a scientific one).   We rape the earth for resources that we don't really need and can't replace once they are used.   Our national political systems seem to be dictatorships or short term governments based on so called democracy, or religion, which are only ever concerned about keeping the voters happy so that they can win the next election.   There is very little planning for the long term future of the world - Or anything else.

By now all our global power requirements could be solved.   Poverty and starvation could be a thing of the past.   Education could be available to everyone.   It should not be necessary, or desirable, for everyone to have a job.   (An interest maybe but not a job).   The resources of the world could, if probably organised, be more than sufficient to feed and house the human population of the world.   Some would have less - Many would have more.

Our technological abilities, if channelled for the good of mankind rather than profit, could solve just about everything we have encountered or caused thus far.   But will it ever be that way?   I very much doubt it.   We are headed towards a gigantic 'decision time' that will either doom us to extinction or be our salvation.   We will probably just ignore it.

At this very moment we have a global crisis being tackled on a nationwide, or even county, basis.   Cost, cost, cost is all we hear and read about.   Resources are what matter - Not cost or profit.   And all caused by the purely artificial monetary system that we have evolved so that nations and people can vie with each other over profit.   If mankind pulled together, pooled resources and knowledge this pandemic would never have occurred.   There would have been a minor hiccup in China which would have been stamped on very firmly and we would have all got on with our pathetic little lives.   As it is we are all fighting for them.

Humans are probably the worst thing that ever happened to Planet Earth.

Sorry, Raja Clavata, I don't think we will make it to 3.0.

Just my view from an old mans perspective...  

A very good summation ,well thought through!All that I see is a world driven by greed at  all levels ,I think that we are all ultimately doomed at some point in time...

Dramatic change to the world as we know it could be a lot nearer than we think. That is, if the conclusions of the study, published in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences", are to be believed.

Climate change could push 1.5 billion people to migrate to escape unliveable heat in the next 50 years even if targets are reached,the study says. "The number of people who will fall outside of the climate niche that we have lived in for thousands of years is gob smackingingly high" said Tim Lenton, director of the Global Systems Institute at the University of Exeter, and one of the study's co-authors.

So, one possible scenario could be more and more people wanting to live in less / smaller occupiable space with those already there saying stay out, and those migrating saying we're on our way. Both factions possibly resorting to violence to have their way.

I'll be long gone by then. Hey Ho. Peace on earth and good will to all men (and women).............

1 hour ago, bavarianbrit said:

As long as the USA stay"s on top with their manifest destiny mentality we are going nowhere fast.

This is the problem , and relates directly to CV 19 .
Chy-na is set to overtake the US economically in the next 10 years, militarily around the same time with the budget and will (especially if the US keeps making angry noises)
How can the US swing its weight around if it isnt the biggest boy in the schoolyard ?
So is this whole episode an exercise in clipping the dragons wings before it reaches 'maturity' ?

The way this is all dealt with in the coming months will reveal if there is any weight to this theory.

FWIW, my thoughts worth as much as a grain of sand? 

It will be all about control and domination with a nice dose of evolution? 

Stealthily continuing at a Government and Commercial  level with the removal of the means of any competition at where possible? Fortunes must still continue to be made with suitable corrupt inducements greasing the way further repressing the population? ..........Just more of now ?

All action only greatly affecting the law abiding and to a lesser extent the criminal who can drive their own path in the short term?

Maybe,  Government.....money, firearms, health etc? Commerce.... consumables......water as it's i drink oil and electricity? All increasing in severity to major conflict for resource globally as population grows? Excesses of population growth fuelling disease pandemic and starvation? 

Still thinking on the scenarios but don't see it being pretty as we bumble into oblivion because people will always be people and are motivated by different stimuli?

What do I know or can guess? 😀

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

This is the problem , and relates directly to CV 19 .
Chy-na is set to overtake the US economically in the next 10 years, militarily around the same time with the budget and will (especially if the US keeps making angry noises)
How can the US swing its weight around if it isnt the biggest boy in the schoolyard ?
So is this whole episode an exercise in clipping the dragons wings before it reaches 'maturity' ?

The way this is all dealt with in the coming months will reveal if there is any weight to this theory.

Presumably the current impact on both countries is a bit of a clue?

13 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Presumably the current impact on both countries is a bit of a clue?

China is far more resilient to economic strife than the US or the EU , that said , can they be trusted to reveal the true impact ?
Indeed , do you really believe that their CV 19 death rate is so low , and the disease virtually eradicated within 6 weeks ?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

The end of the day , many will 'blame' China, whether they be responsible for the out break or not, THIS will have an economic effect no matter what.

On 09/05/2020 at 11:35, Rewulf said:

China is far more resilient to economic strife than the US or the EU , that said , can they be trusted to reveal the true impact ?
Indeed , do you really believe that their CV 19 death rate is so low , and the disease virtually eradicated within 6 weeks ?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

The end of the day , many will 'blame' China, whether they be responsible for the out break or not, THIS will have an economic effect no matter what.

I agree.

The thing is, until quite recently the US (most Americans) typically had a world view that did not extend beyond their 50 states and for those whose views did the key objective was often to try to impose the "American Way" on the rest of the world. Now most of them recognise that China is both an economic and cultural powerhouse to the point that if you observe lots of the American press commentary they really only talk about themselves and China when discussing economics and trade (and therefore tensions). Anyway, I digress.

There's been some great dialogue and commentary here but I'm not really sure anyone has properly addressed the point I was trying to get at with the original post.

So, let me start by suggesting that one of the key focus' of life 2.x will be eradication of obesity, if you look at the COVID stats then diabetes is bad bad news as is obesity and both have links in a lot of cases. I expect this to be an area of focus both at government level but I also expect the public will have a much better appreciation of this and take more personal ownership of it. This is definitely something I can relate to as, despite having a "garmin" fitness age younger than my actual one, my BMI is in the high 20's and my mum is borderline diabetic.

Figured I'd start with a positive as I'm sure there will be plenty negatives added shortly 🙂 ...

On 07/05/2020 at 17:52, Rewulf said:

Covid is not the tipping point by any means, it just isnt lethal enough.
Its more an exercise in how to control a population without tipping them over the  edge into anarchy, small steps to achieve acceptance of a new world order ?

I believe in a couple of years time CV 19 or CV 20 , whatever will just be given 'the flu' monicker , and will be the seasonal bug bear that no one really talks about, like with the flus we have now.
Until something a LOT more lethal comes along, something with 10+ % mortality rate , right out the box, people wouldnt even NEED to be told to stay indoors !

Pretty much this, just like Spanish Flu, it'll be a minor footnote in history sooner than people think, people want freedom, shopping, holidays etc and once they resume their life Covid will be like a lost new years resolution in February.

Edited by Deker

Just now, Deker said:

Pretty much this, just like Spanish Flu, it'll be a minor footnote in history sooner than people think, people want freedom, shopping, holidays etc and once they resume their life Covid will be like a lost new years resolution in February.

Interesting, I read a survey a few weeks back and it stated that only 9% of the UK public want to return to "normal" as a result of COVID, it was one of the reasons I created this thread.

For me, there are two key aspects:

• What we want from life moving forward
  • What is available to us / changes we can't stop 

One point being that there's a load of stuff that's going or already gone pop as a result of COVID.

Anyway, I'll add another aspect of life 2.x as I see it, I reckon the notion that the youth of today are a generation of precious snowflakes will be turned on it's head...

23 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Interesting, I read a survey a few weeks back and it stated that only 9% of the UK public want to return to "normal" as a result of COVID, it was one of the reasons I created this thread.

For me, there are two key aspects:

• What we want from life moving forward
  • What is available to us / changes we can't stop 

One point being that there's a load of stuff that's going or already gone pop as a result of COVID.

Anyway, I'll add another aspect of life 2.x as I see it, I reckon the notion that the youth of today are a generation of precious snowflakes will be turned on it's head...

It's a good question and if you'd have asked me the same question a month ago I may have thought differently, but after seeing the result of a few extra things opening yesterday and the reaction by the locals then I think people just want to get back to normal.

We had a local fish and chip shop open and a few miles away a Burger King opened the drive through and traffic to both gridlocked the areas... and that is just two places that opened.

I'd just add that most people hadn't heard of Spanish Flu until this virus hit the streets and that was only 100 years ago, it was confined to the history books pretty quickly

Edited by Deker

54 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

From my recent experience with my own and others 'youth of today' not are they still snowflakes, but they are the type that tend to blindly do as they are told as soon as the TV or social media tells them to.
I have a perfectly healthy 17 year old who has barely left her room in 2 months  "Because we arent supposed to " 
She has a boyfriend who drives 20 miles to talk to her out the window, and brings her treats which she makes him leave on the doorstep :lol:

Older daughter (19) has had her boyfriend split up with her (2 year relationship) because of the 'enforced'  parting , even though I have said I dont mind him coming round.

Young people these days wouldnt last a day in a proper 'situation' ...

I can’t see anything changing much really. I would like to think that perhaps people would at least realise that personal hygiene, like washing your hands actually is something we should all be doing; I don’t know of anyone at all who has caught a cold in the last few weeks, although I realise of course that social distancing will have played its part in this.....something to bear in mind for all those kids possibly heading back to school.

Coughing and sneezing all over the pace has never been an endearing factor, and worst of all is the filthy habit of spitting. 
Perhaps footballers may at last have it drilled into them that it isn’t big and it’s isn’t clever.  

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

From my recent experience with my own and others 'youth of today' not are they still snowflakes, but they are the type that tend to blindly do as they are told as soon as the TV or social media tells them to.
I have a perfectly healthy 17 year old who has barely left her room in 2 months  "Because we arent supposed to " 
She has a boyfriend who drives 20 miles to talk to her out the window, and brings her treats which she makes him leave on the doorstep 

Older daughter (19) has had her boyfriend split up with her (2 year relationship) because of the 'enforced'  parting , even though I have said I dont mind him coming round.

Young people these days wouldnt last a day in a proper 'situation' ...

I might have it wrong but I don't see that as precious snowflake behaviour, which I would characterise in the circumstances to be "you can't infringe on my human rights to go out and meet my friends etc." 

I think the way society has evolved with respect to teenagers and their habits actually makes them much better able to cope with the current restrictions, much better I suspect than you or I would have done when we were that age.

I'm saying this from the perspective of a dad with a 17 y/o son who is just taking it in his stride - in fact the current situation seems to suits his lifestyle habits of staying up late and eating at weird times (well documented science behind this). He hasn't seen his gf since day 1 as her mum is vulnerable and he had a very dull bday on the first of the month. I'm immensely proud of the way he has conducted himself and made no fuss at all. I would have been climbing up the walls and my mum would have probably thrown me out by now (or more likely Dad would have paid for me to leave).