New update on BASC Website

Just seen an update on situation Regards getting out there at last.

Sorry,couldn't post link

https://basc.org.uk/

Updated advice on shooting activities in England

BASC has updated its advice for shooting, work on shoots and pest control in England – but not in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland – following the government’s latest changes to the regulations for fighting Covid 19. 

This advice has been formed after discussions with the government and has been submitted to Defra for confirmation.

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, from Wednesday 13th May, deer stalking, pest control, conservation and seasonal work on game shoots are possible so long as they meet the requirements described below:

• You may carry out these activities with those from your household group and /or one person who is not from your household group 
  • You may travel any distance in England with people from your household group to engage in these activities but the person who is not from your household group may not travel in the same vehicle as you do
  • You must observe the rules on social distancing at all times
  • You must have the permission of the landowner before engaging in any shooting or shooting related work on their land.
  • Any pest control must conform to the law and the general licences.
  • Deer management must be conducted according to the law. Roebucks are currently in season and Muntjac may be managed at any time of the year. 
  • Before shooting any quarry species you should consider how the meat will be put into the food chain.

There have been issues with different police forces interpreting the government’s rules in different ways. If in any doubt about how your local police will react you should contact the police before shooting, inform them that you are planning your activities within the current regulations and obtain the reference number for the call. You should also carry your certificate with you in case you are challenged by the police.

•  
Edited by flyeruk
Add

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great to read this, though in respect to 

"f in any doubt about how your local police will react you should contact the police before shooting, inform them that you are planning your activities within the current regulations and obtain the reference number for the call."

I am licensed by the MET but shoot a lot in Thames Valley. I presume I should call Thames Valley police and inform them ? does anyone know what number i should call as i presume it isnt 101 ? 

Any ideas ? 

16 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

and if your local police say no, then thats it, still not very clear if on your own i cant see why not,and with out the red tape.i may phone my flo tomorrow.

The police shouldn't be ignoring advice from the government!

4 hours ago, flyeruk said:

Just seen an update on situation Regards getting out there at last.

Sorry,couldn't post link

https://basc.org.uk/

Updated advice on shooting activities in England

BASC has updated its advice for shooting, work on shoots and pest control in England – but not in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland – following the government’s latest changes to the regulations for fighting Covid 19. 

This advice has been formed after discussions with the government and has been submitted to Defra for confirmation.

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, from Wednesday 13th May, deer stalking, pest control, conservation and seasonal work on game shoots are possible so long as they meet the requirements described below:

• You may carry out these activities with those from your household group and /or one person who is not from your household group 
  • You may travel any distance in England with people from your household group to engage in these activities but the person who is not from your household group may not travel in the same vehicle as you do
  • You must observe the rules on social distancing at all times
  • You must have the permission of the landowner before engaging in any shooting or shooting related work on their land.
  • Any pest control must conform to the law and the general licences.
  • Deer management must be conducted according to the law. Roebucks are currently in season and Muntjac may be managed at any time of the year. 
  • Before shooting any quarry species you should consider how the meat will be put into the food chain.

There have been issues with different police forces interpreting the government’s rules in different ways. If in any doubt about how your local police will react you should contact the police before shooting, inform them that you are planning your activities within the current regulations and obtain the reference number for the call. You should also carry your certificate with you in case you are challenged by the police.

•  

Can't figure out what this posturing is all about.

I don't often agree with clangerman's actions but in the above post I do agree , we didn't ring the police , ( well I didn't ) before this virus took hold and put us in lockdown for the last eight weeks , as far as I can see we have been given the green light to carry on with outdoor sports from tomorrow , we don't inform them on a shoot day and I can't see any point in ringing them every time I go . I now carry my authorisation to be shooting on the land I am on and a photo copy of my s g c just in case I need to show the police as they will be the only ones that I would comply with .

The only bit of advice I would give is to stay well clear of any public foot paths as these last few weeks I have seen more people using them than ever before , families walking , cycling and people jogging , I can't blame them as we have got some lovely walks that link up the small villages around the estate so they can come in one way and walk around and then go back a different way , this is fine as long as they stick to the foot paths but you know as well as I do they don't always stick to the paths and lately I have seen them wandering all over the place , so as the new government slogan say , stay alert 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

if this cry baby attitude continues the requirement to ring plod every time we shoot won’t be far behind your meant to be shooting men just *****y well GO! 

100%  I drive out of my yard in an equally dangerous piece of machinery but I don't have to ask the police if I can do it.  I will not be ringing police if and when I go shooting. 

They have licensed me to hold the gun/s and I have permission from the land owner and having to call evry time I want to go shooting is a VERY slippery slope which BASC should be kicking against without delay.

Some years ago I had some stalking in Leicestershire. I am Derbyshire based. I had an email from Leicestershire firearms dept. telling me they required me to inform them every time I went to shoot in their area. I replied to their email telling them I would not be complying until it became law to do that. I never heard from them again.

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

100%  I drive out of my yard in an equally dangerous piece of machinery but I don't have to ask the police if I can do it.  I will not be ringing police if and when I go shooting. 

They have licensed me to hold the gun/s and I have permission from the land owner and having to call evry time I want to go shooting is a VERY slippery slope which BASC should be kicking against without delay.

This. Let’s not set any precedents; the police are doing enough of that as it is. 

I didn't stop shooting! We sorted it out and got the Ok with our force (Suffolk) rural crime unit at the start of the lock down. Go if requested! No game shooting/deer management. Be sensible we may check on you. Simples! Had no hassle. The only folk that questioned it were other shooters. Strange that! Only grief i have heard of was some lads that started shooting crows at 5am and that was from the council for noise issue. I have had several requests  and going when asked. My farmers have rarely had to ask me to go before so maybe it will make a few realise how much we do for them, recon etc and that we are another pair of eyes and ears in countryside. I have shot more pigeons and blacks during lock down than i had this year leading up to it. Maybe because of so much late drilling and so many beans going in.Picked up more shooting on another farm for going. . . . Also went on call out to a trapped deer because others would not attend (huge fallow buck. Had to shoot it). They didn't tell me that until after and insisted on paying me and said i could shoot there wood whenever. Result! As i had lost some land.       NB

Two Schools of thoughts. 

Clay Shooters please be patient. Don’t add to the revocations that have already taken place. We are not the quiet games of golf or fishing which are either solo, twosome, threesome, or foursomes.
Non-essential travel is still an issue hence the increased fines. Add a gun in the car and you have problems.
We (CPSA) have asked for further clarification so that we can give sensible advice to grounds.
There are still no registered competitions and will not be for some time yet.
Please protect your licence by staying safe and following the guidelines.

41 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

:good:

Spot on clangerman.  its time we got out sorted the countryside out. We have done our part, and if it all works out we stand a chance of putting all this away into the history books.  The message is clear now we are good to go.

i was a touch worried pushing everyone but contrary to the evil clanger man myth i actually care shooters don’t have more restrictions enforced on us think there’s also a very good chance the anti nuts will now claim crop protection is unnecessary as the drill got away without us what defence would we have i don’t see one 

1 hour ago, Perazzishot said:
Two Schools of thoughts. 

Clay Shooters please be patient. Don’t add to the revocations that have already taken place. We are not the quiet games of golf or fishing which are either solo, twosome, threesome, or foursomes.
Non-essential travel is still an issue hence the increased fines. Add a gun in the car and you have problems.
We (CPSA) have asked for further clarification so that we can give sensible advice to grounds.
There are still no registered competitions and will not be for some time yet.
Please protect your licence by staying safe and following the guidelines.

Now you are starting to concern me. I understood we were able to travel where we wanted with regard to our exercise, we were able to take part in sports including but not exclusively golf and fishing. i though the term was outdoor activity in one report i read some where. Now fair enough i have not re4ad the 50 page document. But I genuinely felt we were ok to go. you can even take part in these activities with a member of another household but not travel in same car.

Could you please give us more datails of the cautionary advice in your post. I am not saying your not telling it as you see it or indeed it may well be but please could you show your reasoning for the advice.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

i was a touch worried pushing everyone but contrary to the evil clanger man myth i actually care shooters don’t have more restrictions enforced on us think there’s also a very good chance the anti nuts will now claim crop protection is unnecessary as the drill got away without us what defence would we have i don’t see one 

We need to all stay safe with this about , Hats all we need to concentrate on here.  Keep to the advice stay alert etc.  Saw scary social distancing in York yesterday afternoon. Was glad to get back to the car i had to run to avoid one numb skull a young woman shouted at the idiot who i dodges seconds before, when he went within inches of a couple and a young girl. He had headphones on oblivious to everything, in his own little world. Can understand Johnsons stay alert message wit numptys like that chap about.

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

unfortunately the numbskull posting business cards in everybody’s letter box yesterday tops that if she has the virus half the householders are probably infected now the madness continues lol 

Brain dead handouts this day and age anyway, too much foot work time. Post on face ache or  other media, it get a stack of work my mates lad started valeting cars just before this kicked off was doing great . He is volunteering now making food for homeless folk. His dad has been giving him £20 to give him some money to show how proud he is of him, but Saturday he gave him £100 back, effectively everything his dad gave him.  Said i have not needed it have it all back. 17 years old and yet some say younguns are bad. Fair enough many are bag young or old, but there are some very good people out there doing good things all ages.