Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After my little mishap with an angle grinder a few days ago. I bought a new one. I wanted a Makitta but couldn't get one quick enough. So just replaced my original Einhall, German so pretty good quality, 

Why is it with 4" angle grinders they are so uncomfortable to hold?  A 9" has a nice handle at the back which you can get a good grip of, but the 4" fat all the way down to the cable. 

I am guilty of removing the guard, dodgy I know but makes cutting out a knife blank so much easier with that guard out of the way. On an Einhall you need to bypass the micro switch for it to work without the guard.

Surely there must be a way of making them more comfortable to work with? Maybe a handle on top of the body toward the back. Just asking as I do a lot of work with my angle grinder and even after all these years still don't fully trust them purely because of the poor grip you have on them.

 

Edited by fatchap
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, washerboy said:

Your probably like me, have hands of a small child 

Give them back, there are laws against that you know 😉

But seriously, I have splashed out on the Makita brushless with a 'paddle handle'  It's quite thin, even for my dainty office hands.

I do have an small air-powered one for hard-to-reach areas, but my 3hp compressor can barely keep up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a handle up. If you don't have a spare hanging about , sure someone on here will find one for you , then a strap around the body and a big wing nut so you can adjust as necessary.  Not beyond the wit of an ace knife maker surely. Quite a few grinders had similar set ups where they had a collar afair which the nadle was attached to and this ran around the front section of the grinder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 10:44, fatchap said:

After my little mishap with an angle grinder a few days ago. I bought a new one. I wanted a Makitta but couldn't get one quick enough. So just replaced my original Einhall, German so pretty good quality, 

Why is it with 4" angle grinders they are so uncomfortable to hold?  A 9" has a nice handle at the back which you can get a good grip of, but the 4" fat all the way down to the cable. 

I am guilty of removing the guard, dodgy I know but makes cutting out a knife blank so much easier with that guard out of the way. On an Einhall you need to bypass the micro switch for it to work without the guard.

Surely there must be a way of making them more comfortable to work with? Maybe a handle on top of the body toward the back. Just asking as I do a lot of work with my angle grinder and even after all these years still don't fully trust them purely because of the poor grip you have on them.

 

Very bad idea to remove the guard especially cutting curves in hc steels ! Most of the discs that fly off won't hurt you but one day one will and it can be very nasty!  Deaths have occurred! 

The most common injury though is a deep gouge into the back of your trigger finger ! It will take many months to heal at least and I have one i did over 30 years ago when we all did crazy stuff like that in industry . Get caught doing it today and you will be sent home and for good reason 

Different models give different grip . Try them but for gods sake put the guard back on and wear a visor and respirator . All knife makers should invest in an airfed visor imho ! Gives you stamina to stand at the 2x72 all day , doesn't steam up and keeps metal dust from killing you in your lungs slowly 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched a couple of the ambulance code red episodes twice they went to somebody who thought it a good idea to put a circular saw blade on a angle grinder no guards ofcourse, is it me thinking that's an accident waiting to happen? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know removing the guard is frowned upon but as I said it does make cuts easier, Now if you want something dodgy for your angle grinder have a look at this......

chainsaw.jpg.296f86797e8b691af380828775e0c7d7.jpg

That has got hospital trip written all over it, severed digits, opened up arteries every kind of dismemberment you can possibly imagine. You need a chainsaw, buy a chainsaw. 

Edited by fatchap
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vmaxphil said:

Watched a couple of the ambulance code red episodes twice they went to somebody who thought it a good idea to put a circular saw blade on a angle grinder no guards ofcourse, is it me thinking that's an accident waiting to happen? 

use 4" angle grinder with "circular saw blade" all the time ,its a standard tool for  back chipping aluminum down to clean metal before a capping weld.

they are called a meat axe in the states and  the guard is always fitted and heavy welding gloves worn as the fall out would be life changing .

you have to use these blades in a angle grinder that has a clutch otherwise a kickback would destroy a standard grinders gearbox.

standard 110v 41/2 makita angle grinder has a nice slim handle .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fatchap said:

I know removing the guard is frowned upon but as I said it does make cuts easier, Now if you want something dodgy for your angle grinder have a look at this......

chainsaw.jpg.296f86797e8b691af380828775e0c7d7.jpg

That has got hospital trip written all over it, severed digits, opened up arteries every kind of dismemberment you can possibly imagine. You need a chainsaw, buy a chainsaw. 

saw a programe a while ago about country crafts...an old retired boy making windsor chairs...thats the tool he used when hollowing out and forming the seat.....christ it didnt half rip it out...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just went to use my Makita grinder this morning and discovered it does have a facility for a handle. Must have come with one moons ago but I have hands like dinner plates and have no problem clutching the unit.   Never never ever remove the guard, in fact I have toyed with the idea of ading aditional cover down the side to stop the hot dust and sparks flying everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/09/2020 at 10:44, fatchap said:

After my little mishap with an angle grinder a few days ago. I bought a new one. I wanted a Makitta but couldn't get one quick enough. So just replaced my original Einhall, German so pretty good quality, 

Why is it with 4" angle grinders they are so uncomfortable to hold?  A 9" has a nice handle at the back which you can get a good grip of, but the 4" fat all the way down to the cable. 

I am guilty of removing the guard, dodgy I know but makes cutting out a knife blank so much easier with that guard out of the way. On an Einhall you need to bypass the micro switch for it to work without the guard.

Surely there must be a way of making them more comfortable to work with? Maybe a handle on top of the body toward the back. Just asking as I do a lot of work with my angle grinder and even after all these years still don't fully trust them purely because of the poor grip you have on them.

 

If you want one with a back handle like a 9" have a look at the 5" grinders some of them have a back handle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...