Anyone know anyone who has (a) died (b) died before their time due to Covid?

Mungler

I can finally add to this- neighbour in her mid 90’s

Dementia and recently kept passing out or falling over.

Admitted to hospital a few weeks ago and promptly fell over in hospital, caught covid whilst there and succumbed yesterday. 

Did she die with it or of it- that is the question, but in all honesty I don’t think she would have been around long anyway. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have had very little up here until just before Christmas when the figures started to rise rapidly. Before that I knew of just a few people, mainly clinical, who had it or had to isolate due to close proximity. 

Now we know of several deaths and to balance that a couple who are in their late 70's neither are lightweight, he is huge, diabetic, high cholesterol but both active, both tested positive twice, not a sniffle. Personally I would have thought he would have been a banker in the covid sweepstakes!

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

We didn’t see much here in the first couple of waves. But this wave since Xmas has been horrendous. Granted most are surviving it, but that’s only part of the story. The Illness is horrible, with what appears to be long lasting effects. So no, you may not die, but you’ll potentially be rough for a long time if you’re one of the ones it gets hold of. And it’s really not just the old and fat! 

I’m starting to see a lot more at school.  Remembering they are 2 to 7 yrs.   they are testing positive as are their family members.  Staff and their families also and returning staff are definitely still affected both physically and emotionally.  Even those that have got off relatively lightly have  not returned to their normal selves.   It really is no walk in the park.  

is been in my extended family through carers  death by old farts and much younger carers  inc crook carers recovered    i havnt been out since first lockdown thankfully i have a man cave and projects  to keep occupied     god help someone in  high rise listening to **** base all day        im lucky i have projects  some time when i figure out how to    i will post pictures 

27 minutes ago, Saltings said:

is been in my extended family through carers  death by old farts and much younger carers  inc crook carers recovered    i havnt been out since first lockdown thankfully i have a man cave and projects  to keep occupied     god help someone in  high rise listening to **** base all day        im lucky i have projects  some time when i figure out how to    i will post pictures 

Pictures are easy if you can get them onto your desktop. just drag and drop them into the window you are typing your post in.

41 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Pictures are easy if you can get them onto your desktop. just drag and drop them into the window you are typing your post in.

dave thanks          i am good with hands and can build anything from a bag of bits  practical  i can see bits in my head  i can make them work steam     diesel   petrol   build and time without blurb     and make missing parts           i understand  parts    a computer is bla bla to me       

daugters best friends mother passed yesterday with covid caught from a carer helping  with an aging   mother being a sole carer all year needed help     extra help before xmas  she's dead aging mother still going to date  i dont have words 

Edited by Saltings

1 hour ago, Saltings said:

dave thanks          i am good with hands and can build anything from a bag of bits  practical  i can see bits in my head  i can make them work steam     diesel   petrol   build and time without blurb     and make missing parts           i understand  parts    a computer is bla bla to me       

daugters best friends mother passed yesterday with covid caught from a carer helping  with an aging   mother being a sole carer all year needed help     extra help before xmas  she's dead aging mother still going to date  i dont have words 

So sorry to hear about that. Words fail me at the best of times but especially on this topic.

Neighbour 3 doors up from me went into hospital about 3 weeks ago with pneumonia - covid got him and he died late last week. MK hospital (where he died) are threatening to withdraw my meds if I do not attend for blood tests - something I normally do every 3 months but not since the first lockdown started - I've been on the same meds for 15 years but now they are forcing me into a dangerous position - going to ring PALS today and start an official complaint. 

45 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Neighbour 3 doors up from me went into hospital about 3 weeks ago with pneumonia - covid got him and he died late last week. MK hospital (where he died) are threatening to withdraw my meds if I do not attend for blood tests - something I normally do every 3 months but not since the first lockdown started - I've been on the same meds for 15 years but now they are forcing me into a dangerous position - going to ring PALS today and start an official complaint. 

Could your Doctor not take your bloods? Can't blame you wanting to avoid the hospital. 

On 18/01/2021 at 09:03, Jaymo said:

I can finally add to this- neighbour in her mid 90’s

Dementia and recently kept passing out or falling over.

Admitted to hospital a few weeks ago and promptly fell over in hospital, caught covid whilst there and succumbed yesterday. 

Did she die with it or of it- that is the question, but in all honesty I don’t think she would have been around long anyway. 

Spooky. I had ‘my’ first death today. Mates mum, 85, wheelchair bound, very frail, was admitted to hospital non-Covid related before Christmas, caught covid in hospital and died. Has been on her last legs for the past couple of years to be honest. 

2 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

2 in the last week ... both admitted to hospital for 'non-covid' treatment.

Both caught it and dead within a short period of time

And herein lies the rub with letting the under 50s "off the leash", many will get infected that supply the treatment in hospitals.  Go into hospital with something non covid, and fairly minor, that may lower your immunity (whatever your age), be infected with Covid by carers and possibly die.

I repeat what I have said previously, it is not the Covid deaths that are the problem but the number of beds occupied by the covid sick . Before the cry of they are only the old starts, most of them are under 50.

6 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

And herein lies the rub with letting the under 50s "off the leash", many will get infected that supply the treatment in hospitals.  Go into hospital with something non covid, and fairly minor, that may lower your immunity (whatever your age), be infected with Covid by carers and possibly die.

I repeat what I have said previously, it is not the Covid deaths that are the problem but the number of beds occupied by the covid sick . Before the cry of they are only the old starts, most of them are under 50.

Is that true or another myth? Whilst there may be more under 50’s in hospital than during the first wave, how many, in absolute terms is that? And not a percentage increase but in wave 1 there were X under 50’s and in wave 2 there are Y. 

Anybody know? 

1 minute ago, AVB said:

Is that true or another myth? Whilst there may be more under 50’s in hospital than during the first wave, how many, in absolute terms is that? And not a percentage increase but in wave 1 there were X under 50’s and in wave 2 there are Y. 

Anybody know? 

Not published figures, however my niece is a junior doc in A&E at the moment and has said a good 3/4 of those she is admitting with C19 are in that bracket.

8 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Not published figures, however my niece is a junior doc in A&E at the moment and has said a good 3/4 of those she is admitting with C19 are in that bracket.

Yes I also hear stuff from my contacts which contradicts that. Hence my ask for real data. 

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

I can fully believe that as not all admissions are through A&E, so the demographic of admissions may well be skewed (as it always is) towards the older patient.

OK I got somebody to crunch the numbers going back to October and on a daily basis the numbers are very consistent. 73-81% over 55. The average over all of January is 79%. If I find the numbers for earlier last year then I’ll get them crunched as well. Source ONS. 

Some updates from my local Trust, Queens Romford and King Georges - which has been widely reported as one of the worst affected areas in the country:

14th Jan

• 492 in-patients with lab confirmed COVID-19
  • 79 new in-patients diagnosed in the last 24 hours
  • 57 /492 in ICU
  • 1153 deaths after lab confirmed positive since out break (within 28 days)
  • 3079 confirmed and recovered discharged
  • ICU at 94.94% of capacity
  • Staff absence is 685( 9.57%), of which 45 (0.63%) are isolation due to COVID and 1 have tested COVID positive 

This does suggest to me the staff are under a huge amount of stress / pressure.

21st Jan

• 404 in-patients with lab confirmed COVID-19
  • 46 new in-patients diagnosed in the last 24 hours
  • 51 /404 in ICU
  • 1277 deaths after lab confirmed positive since out break (within 28 days)
  • 3436 confirmed and recovered discharged
  • ICU at 87.8% of capacity
  • Staff absence is 634 (8.86%), of which 31 (0.63%) are in isolation due to COVID and 142 (1.98%) have tested COVID positive.

Hopefully turned the corner.

In other news, my lads girlfriend started an apprenticeship at a large GP practice recently, came home totally stressed today: spent the day speaking to elderly clients who refuse to take the Pfizer version of the vaccine and are insisting on the "British" Oxford version since it's made in Britain. They now have a surplus of the Pfizer vaccine and are concerned it will go out of date before they can administer it. They do not have a single vial of the Oxford vaccine.

In my opinion, anyone refusing the Pfizer vaccine should be demoted in priority. You really do have to wonder sometimes...

Hi

A good friend of my wife, their young adults same age as ours - early 30s, two young ladies, with some health issues, contracted and died before Christmas. The Father just about coming out of dark woods......

Another good friend of wife, otherside of our Crescent, serious with it 3 weeks on. Carer/Nursing Home employee so higher risk.

L