Another New Variant.

fatchap

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, like all influenza viruses.  This is just a particularly nasty one and has shown just how unfit society is in some ways.

If this carries on and on for years there will be no option but for everyone to just get on with it. 

Imagine in 5-10 years time, we might not have “geriatric” people, once they get over a certain age they catch the annual Covid and that’s the end of them! 

We won’t have people with long term health conditions like diabetes, COPD, or other serious illnesses, they’ll catch the annual Covid and won’t make it! 

Whilst most of the “young and healthy” just catch it and carry on as normal. 

If a mad economist ever had to invent a virus, this would be it! 

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

If this carries on and on for years there will be no option but for everyone to just get on with it. 

Imagine in 5-10 years time, we might not have “geriatric” people, once they get over a certain age they catch the annual Covid and that’s the end of them! 

We won’t have people with long term health conditions like diabetes, COPD, or other serious illnesses, they’ll catch the annual Covid and won’t make it! 

Whilst most of the “young and healthy” just catch it and carry on as normal. 

But, but what about Granny? God forbid people actually die. We’ll have to have an annual lockdown to prevent it. 

Yes, this is to be dragged on and on, under the guise of either (i) new variant or (ii) "People are just not following the rules".

Bear in mind these type of announcements tend to come out just before they want to change something,   so standby for tightening of lockdown "Based on new information about this strain blah blah blah "

32 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

You just made me dig out "logan's run" to rewatch . I always had a thing for Jenny Agutter .

There are thousands of variants of covid, it sometimes puzzles me why they make a fuss about finding another one. I think this is probably just down to poor journalism, instead of mentioning the fact the virus has slightly changed and may become more infectious they prefer to promote the "MUTATION!" angle to the story.

If the particular new variant does turn out to have a dramatically different characteristic then it is right to highlight it but they don't usually tell you that bit.

2 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

There are thousands of variants of covid, it sometimes puzzles me why they make a fuss about finding another one. I think this is probably just down to poor journalism, instead of mentioning the fact the virus has slightly changed and may become more infectious they prefer to promote the "MUTATION!" angle to the story.

If the particular new variant does turn out to have a dramatically different characteristic then it is right to highlight it but they don't usually tell you that bit.

Exactly...and because the vaccine tech developed to combat it is so flexible, the vaccines are very likely to be able to be tweaked to address new versions of needed. 

1 hour ago, fatchap said:

In Brazil. 4 people so far. 

No information on if its more contagious or resistant to the vaccines.

This Covid and its relatives are going to be around for a very long time.

The other day a new variant was discovered here in the UK & the rest of the world band us if you remember? that is the way it’s going to be now. I can tell you one thing any young couple trying or planning on bringing a child into this ###### up world need their heads read.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, like all influenza viruses.  This is just a particularly nasty one and has shown just how unfit society is in some ways.

Technically Covid is not a Influenza virus, it belongs to the Coronavirus family. When I had it, it certainly felt like flu. Certainly knocks you bandy like flu does.

Edited by fatchap

43 minutes ago, wascal said:

You just made me dig out "logan's run" to rewatch . I always had a thing for Jenny Agutter .

"walkabout" ?

New virus !  its never been about IF you get it, just WHEN and how you can mininimise it's effects, perhaps it might instigate a more healthy lifestyle in those of us that are able. lets hope the vaccines help the less able

Edited by islandgun

7 hours ago, AVB said:

But, but what about Granny? God forbid people actually die. We’ll have to have an annual lockdown to prevent it. 

I'm sure we can all except that people get old and die, I've seen some people on the news really upset that someone 85 plus has died in a care home, I'm sure it was more to do with them not being able to be with them at the end.

But watching the North west news tonight they were going around care homes, saying how long they have been covid free and have now had the vaccine,  everyone looking so happy and hoping they can see their grandkids again, must also be a massive relief for the staff as well, one home said they lost 16 grandparents in a week at one point.

I'm certainly glad the over 65s haven't simply been written off, hopefully another few months of the vaccine being rolled out and things should relax a bit?

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I'm sure we can all except that people get old and die, I've seen some people on the news really upset that someone 85 plus has died in a care home, I'm sure it was more to do with them not being able to be with them at the end.

But watching the North west news tonight they were going around care homes, saying how long they have been covid free and have now had the vaccine,  everyone looking so happy and hoping they can see their grandkids again, must also be a massive relief for the staff as well, one home said they lost 16 grandparents in a week at one point.

I'm certainly glad the over 65s haven't simply been written off, hopefully another few months of the vaccine being rolled out and things should relax a bit?

I am not sure ‘we’ all accept that death is natural and old people eventually die. I’ve seen too many posts/tweets that lead me to believe that some people think one covid death is one too many any we should therefore stay in lockdown forever. 

... and somewhere in between those two points of view is a compromise.  Hopefully a compromise that doesn't wreck our economy and massacre independent small businesses even more than it already has done.  And hopefully one the government will admit sooner or later is the right path out of this.

Edited by Jim Neal

On the basis that it is estimated COVID cost the UK £400B last year and there were say 80,000 deaths (it was less than that at year end but anyway) - that's £5M a death.

Looking beyond the personal tragedies, everything can be normalised to a monetary value - prior to COVID I'd bet the farm nobody would suggest the value of the average UK citizen to be £5M.

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

On the basis that it is estimated COVID cost the UK £400B last year and there were say 80,000 deaths (it was less than that at year end but anyway) - that's £5M a death.

Looking beyond the personal tragedies, everything can be normalised to a monetary value - prior to COVID I'd bet the farm nobody would suggest the value of the average UK citizen to be £5M.

Much less!

22 hours ago, oscarsdad said:

Exactly...and because the vaccine tech developed to combat it is so flexible, the vaccines are very likely to be able to be tweaked to address new versions of needed. 

This one discovered in Brazil has mutated to the point that it avoids your bodies own immune system, P1 they are calling it. So lets hope the vaccine's are as good as everybody is hoping. Also it is now thought that people who have had covid are immune for around 5 months, but can still contract it but no symptoms and can obviously transmit it, Asymptomatic I think its called.