24 hours in Police Custody. Ch.4 documentary.

Westley

For the information of those, like me, who feel they would 'have a go' against any scumbags that burgle your property, watching this programme is a MUST. It would certainly end any shooting that you partook in..........FRIGHTENING  !

Sorry cant do links but anyone who can, feel free. It was on at 2100hrs. yesterday.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Westley said:

For the information of those, like me, who feel they would 'have a go' against any scumbags that burgle your property, watching this programme is a MUST. It would certainly end any shooting that you partook in..........FRIGHTENING  !

Sorry cant do links but anyone who can, feel free. It was on at 2100hrs. yesterday.

I watched it last night, and was disgusted but not surprised, that the two SCUMBAGS who were well known to the police and had lengthy criminal records, got away with suspended sentences, while the poor guy who chased after them (rightly or wrongly) was sent to prison for 22 months, and didn't even get his sentence suspended. The SCUMBAGS laughed all the way.

This link should take you to the series: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-police-custody

Edited by steve_b_wales

Guessing the likely outcome  of any defensive action by a law abiding person gives me confirmation of the situation we have been manoeuvred into. 

Just waiting for someone to come along with the counter of "being able to respond using reasonable reaction." The reality could be that following police due process over many stressful months would leave you worse off than the scumbag who has nothing to loose?

Wow. Justice?

There's no justice! Would expect little else for the judiciary. Two scum bags attempt to burgle a house and steal the owner's dirt bike. They were equipped with a crowbar and bolt cutters and one had a length of wood (presumably taking it home for the fire). They ran off when disturbed, jumped on a stolen motor cycle and rode off. The  house owner chased after them in his Mercedes and ended up rear-ending them into another parked vehicle (smashing his own vehicle into a truck. He maintains that he didn't intend to hurt them, but they ended up in hospital seriously incapacitated. He was arrested but later released 'under investigation'. Once identified they had records as long as your arm, including assault. Once recovered from their injuries, one accompanied by his solicitor, provided a no-comment interview. The other who had a cracked skull, said that he was too unwell to be interviewed. However, both were later apprehended in a car with false plates. The one with a cracked skull provided a no-comment interview (what a surprise). The outcome was that the house owner was charged with dangerous driving with intent. When the burglars appeared in court, they pled guilty to burglary and were given a suspended sentence and fine. The house owner was sentenced to 22 months prison. The young family were bereft. They had decided to terminate a pregnancy given that the wife would not be able to cope with her husband in prison. She lived in fear of retribution (probably rightly and certainly consider possible by the police who agreed to provide additional patrols). The family have now moved.

The police said that the house owner should have left it to them to identify and prosecute the burglars. Made me laugh! How many burglaries are attended by detectives, let alone solved and had it not been a serious accident, they probably would still be looking (?). Although CCTV footage showed the burglars attempting entry, both wore masks and dark clothing. One of the villains, said he had two children and another on the way. He declared he had no intention of working as there were other ways to get money!

The police did what they had to but Justice???? For whom?? Or have I got it wrong?

I think that the crux of the matter is that they had committed a crime, but were fleeing the scene. The homeowner left his own property, pursued them and hit them with his car. Although he says he didn't intend to hurt them, I would need to see a polygraph on his arm before I believed him.

The sentences seem disproportionate in both cases. Surely, they should have not received suspended sentences, whereas I believe that he should have.

1 hour ago, daveboy said:

I can't understand how the Jury found him guilty.... no matter what the Judge said it would have been a no from me.

Even some of the investigating police officers said that they would have done the same thing. It seemed like there was one senior officer who was hell bent on getting him prosecuted. That's what it appeared to me anyway.

51 minutes ago, semi-auto said:

There's no justice! Would expect little else for the judiciary. Two scum bags attempt to burgle a house and steal the owner's dirt bike. They were equipped with a crowbar and bolt cutters and one had a length of wood (presumably taking it home for the fire). They ran off when disturbed, jumped on a stolen motor cycle and rode off. The  house owner chased after them in his Mercedes and ended up rear-ending them into another parked vehicle (smashing his own vehicle into a truck. He maintains that he didn't intend to hurt them, but they ended up in hospital seriously incapacitated. He was arrested but later released 'under investigation'. Once identified they had records as long as your arm, including assault. Once recovered from their injuries, one accompanied by his solicitor, provided a no-comment interview. The other who had a cracked skull, said that he was too unwell to be interviewed. However, both were later apprehended in a car with false plates. The one with a cracked skull provided a no-comment interview (what a surprise). The outcome was that the house owner was charged with dangerous driving with intent. When the burglars appeared in court, they pled guilty to burglary and were given a suspended sentence and fine. The house owner was sentenced to 22 months prison. The young family were bereft. They had decided to terminate a pregnancy given that the wife would not be able to cope with her husband in prison. She lived in fear of retribution (probably rightly and certainly consider possible by the police who agreed to provide additional patrols). The family have now moved.

The police said that the house owner should have left it to them to identify and prosecute the burglars. Made me laugh! How many burglaries are attended by detectives, let alone solved and had it not been a serious accident, they probably would still be looking (?). Although CCTV footage showed the burglars attempting entry, both wore masks and dark clothing. One of the villains, said he had two children and another on the way. He declared he had no intention of working as there were other ways to get money!

The police did what they had to but Justice???? For whom?? Or have I got it wrong?

I believe that the Mercedes hit a curb and then slid into the motorbike. 

21 minutes ago, henry d said:

So what are you saying, that injuring or killing a burglar is justice?

^^^^ This. I can understand the sentiment but he could easily of killed them. If they were in his home and he was attacked or in fear then it would be completely different.

A farmer I know diod a similar thing and launched crim in astra over a roundabout. They escaped and his Lux went into limp home mode.

24 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I think that the crux of the matter is that they had committed a crime, but were fleeing the scene. The homeowner left his own property, pursued them and hit them with his car. Although he says he didn't intend to hurt them, I would need to see a polygraph on his arm before I believed him.

The sentences seem disproportionate in both cases. Surely, they should have not received suspended sentences, whereas I believe that he should have.

This ^^^^

They attempted to steal the dirt bike, were disturbed and ran off. In reality thats where it should have ended. With him jumping in his car and going after them it now just becomes about revenge for trying it, I can understand your bloods going to be up but its like punching back on a rugby pitch, the ref only sees the retribution and YOU get the red card. 

If he really wanted to pursue the scumbags he should have called the police on Bluetooth hands free and guided them to help make the arrest rather than being lucky in avoiding attempted murder charges

3 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

They attempted to steal the dirt bike, were disturbed and ran off. In reality thats where it should have ended. With him jumping in his car and going after them it now just becomes about revenge for trying it, I can understand your bloods going to be up but its like punching back on a rugby pitch, the ref only sees the retribution and YOU get the red card. 

If he really wanted to pursue the scumbags he should have called the police on Bluetooth hands free and guided them to help make the arrest rather than being lucky in avoiding attempted murder charges

A free ride for criminals then. Attempt to commit a crime without fear of being detained. If you are disturbed in the act then you can just walk away and try another day.

"Thief enters store. Attempts to steal TV. Seen by security guard and manger and approached. Wherby they take to thier heals out of store. Pursued by manager and guard. Manager/Guard grabs thief by shoulder. Who falls over and cracks skull on pavement."

You want manager/guard charged ?

Problem these days is there is no justice. Reapeat criminals have nothing to fear, they've no job to loose, no house to be repossessed, few have stable relationships and couldn't care less about leaving a fatherless child or struggling mother when they get locked up again, prison is like a boys club where they have a big reunion with their mates and is seen as little more than an occupational hazard by most. 

Then you've everyone else in society, who generally are policed with an iron fist, drift over the speed limit and its a fine, do anything more serious and you've lost everything you've ever worked for while the scum of society just laugh. The police are virtually powerless, reduced to a laughing stock and that's why I believe were going to see more vigilante action unless we get rid of this rehabilitation nonsense and use the money saved on care bears to get tough on crime and actually start making prison so harsh and locking some idiots up for life, that they start not wanting to commit crime anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

A free ride for criminals then. Attempt to commit a crime without fear of being detained. If you are disturbed in the act then you can just walk away and try another day.

"Thief enters store. Attempts to steal TV. Seen by security guard and manger and approached. Wherby they take to thier heals out of store. Pursued by manager and guard. Manager/Guard grabs thief by shoulder. Who falls over and cracks skull on pavement."

You want manager/guard charged ?

Yep this is the problem, authorities will always say you've got to be careful, what if you injure them ect. What about the scum bag, why haven't they got to be careful! That's right because there's absolutely no deterrent for them anymore. 

23 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

What about the innocent victim who gets run over by the thieves on their next criminal venture, I believe less than 5% of burglaries are solved. 

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I watched it last night, and was disgusted but not surprised, that the two SCUMBAGS who were well known to the police and had lengthy criminal records, got away with suspended sentences, while the poor guy who chased after them (rightly or wrongly) was sent to prison for 22 months, and didn't even get his sentence suspended. The SCUMBAGS laughed all the way.

This link should take you to the series: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/24-hours-in-police-custody

I thought the same but I guess the CPS decided to make an example of him for taking the law into his own hands, my feeling were, he should have got off or at worst the sentence should have been a suspended one.

8 minutes ago, daveboy said:

It gets worse... the scumbags are suing for a million pounds.(hopefully his insurance will cover it)

That will be a NO I bet.

There is a film on Netflix I think - Felon - starts off like that - burglar in the house - guy chases him out - burglar appears to be reaching for something in his pants - whack with a baseball bat - Dead - he ends up in the Pen - and continues falling.