Logs vs composite for open fires

lord_seagrave

Apologies if it’s been done to death, but is there a general consensus as to the “best value” things to burn on an open fire?

Accepting that most of the heat is disappearing up the chimney anyway, there’s no denying the charm of a real fire, but, whilst I tend towards real logs, in the dribs and drabs in which I buy them, they’re a bit pricy (£6.99 for a net, which seems to be mostly used up in 5 hours).

Seemingly better for price are the composite heat tubes (£6 for six, and we used four in 4 hours this evening). However, they’re not so charming to look at, and not as hot as the embers of wood.

If I buy in bulkier quantities, I might do better, I suppose, but where should I look for decent suppliers?

Apologies, as usual, for noddy questions/stream of consciousness, but any and all suggestions appreciated (and happy to hear about reputable sources in Bedford-shire)

LS

I've been looking at these for the log burner and although some have "guaranteed " output greater than logs you need to buy the best and not just a plastic bag from the supermarket and they need to be kept dry or they swell and are useless. Friends buy them by the pallet for their logburner and have dry storage but we don't so will use logs. 

If you can enjoy burning logs in your area then consider yourself lucky. Under the Clean Air Act 1993 all of Bristol is covered by a smoke control order. This means we can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless burning an authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance. We can be fined up to £1,000 for breaking the rules. 

15 minutes ago, Bobba said:

If you can enjoy burning logs in your area then consider yourself lucky. Under the Clean Air Act 1993 all of Bristol is covered by a smoke control order. This means we can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless burning an authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance. We can be fined up to £1,000 for breaking the rules. 

I have been looking at these Diesel Heaters that a lot of people are using. They can work on things like used engine oil - but it is illegal to do it in this country unless you get a license which costs 3.5k with a renewal fee of 1.5k

Guess what happens with the oil that is collected from garages... It is used to run burners. It isn't about "emissions" but more about the Duty.... You can go and get logs from a wood and burn it - but if it is "banned" you have to use a source that is "controlled" and Carbon Taxes can be thrown on it at point of sale...

8 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

Apologies if it’s been done to death, but is there a general consensus as to the “best value” things to burn on an open fire?

Accepting that most of the heat is disappearing up the chimney anyway, there’s no denying the charm of a real fire, but, whilst I tend towards real logs, in the dribs and drabs in which I buy them, they’re a bit pricy (£6.99 for a net, which seems to be mostly used up in 5 hours).

Seemingly better for price are the composite heat tubes (£6 for six, and we used four in 4 hours this evening). However, they’re not so charming to look at, and not as hot as the embers of wood.

If I buy in bulkier quantities, I might do better, I suppose, but where should I look for decent suppliers?

Apologies, as usual, for noddy questions/stream of consciousness, but any and all suggestions appreciated (and happy to hear about reputable sources in Bedford-shire)

LS

Wouldn't you be better trying a bag of homefire? Not much dearer and would last longer. Saying that I've not bought any for a few years. I just burn wood on the multifuel burner. 

Edited to say bought from a coal merchant not a garage.

Edited by harrycatcat1

I collect the firewood from are local fuel supplier for my father & father in law one has a log burner the other a open fire. 

Cheapest to burn on the open fire is peat ( the black blocks ) its £7 a slab burns well & gives off a nice steady heat. We also burn coal on it the large stuff house trebles but these are now around £22-24 - per 20kg  gives off a amazing amount of heat & with them being a good size only need a few lumps on to really heat the room up . 

The Woodburner is a lot more efficient but the price of good quality dry wood which this is has gone upto £120 - per 1 ton bag ( not actually a ton in weight ) once a good bed of embers has been built from kinderling ( free pallets from work for us ) a couple good sized logs when caught with all the vents shut gives off enough heat to maintain a nice steady temperature in the room for a 2 hours or so before topping it back up a log at a time.

IMG-20221215-WA0001.jpg

I use coal, peat, coal brickettes, composite wood and logs on my multi fuel stove, [coal has doubled in price this year £18 20kg]  I also use logs in my pizza oven, both, seasoned home grown and kiln dried. In the multi fuel i find a hot coal base topped up with the biggest logs works best for heat. To keep it in, peat.  

1 hour ago, harkom said:

Stephen-H

where do you source the peat blocks/briquettes?

Pearsons fuel marple stockport I imagine any good local coal/fuel supplier should stock them or be able to order them in I believe the peat is from Ireland. Gives off a lovely smokey whiskey type smell & a nice bit of heat 

41 minutes ago, Donkey said:

I get my logs from a guy in Ealing £5 a bag found him on marketplace there are quite a few sellers in the London area all around the £5 mark also found the smokeless solid fuel from Asda at £6.50 a 10kg bag burns really well best I’ve tried

That seems a good price I might have to try some of that 👍👍👍

6 hours ago, London Best said:

I only burn free stuff. 
If I’ve got to pay I might as well put the central heating on.

We only use the open fire in the front room occasionally. So, I skip raid (I do ask). The amount of usable firewood from loft conversions, fence posts etc is enough for our needs.

12 hours ago, Bobba said:

We only use the open fire in the front room occasionally. So, I skip raid (I do ask). The amount of usable firewood from loft conversions, fence posts etc is enough for our needs.

I get off-cuts from roof joists from a friend who obtains nine or ten silage trailers full every year. He can’t burn it all but can’t turn it down so I get to help myself. Only problem is, softwood  gives out good heat but burns too fiercely, so every 30 minutes you have to feed the fire. Logs are much better but my free supply dried up.

On 21/12/2022 at 10:58, Stephen-H said:

Pearsons fuel marple stockport I imagine any good local coal/fuel supplier should stock them or be able to order them in I believe the peat is from Ireland. Gives off a lovely smokey whiskey type smell & a nice bit of heat 

That is the type I did use, but the sellers tell me that it is no longer available - under EU directive to Ireland to stop peat extraction.

On 21/12/2022 at 00:55, lord_seagrave said:

Work out and contact your local haulage firms.

They will often have a packing department that make boxes for all sorts of items.

When I had an open fire, PC Howard at Kingscliffe were very happy to get rid of their waste wood.

I would line the boot of the car with heavy plastic sheet and fill one a day to build up some stock.

The company I work for now have to pay for waste wood to be removed, so staff are encouraged to take it.

Get out there and find a source, then it only costs your own time and fuel to collect it.