Is this a British School shooting?

Lloyd90

I saw it on the news last night, the death of Epsom College head teacher, her husband and their child. 

I noticed the distinct pause when saying about the death of the mother and child … and then the father. 

I noticed the (not so) random mention that the headteachers house was next door to the schools rifle range … why mention that I thought … 

Although it appeared almost obviously what had happened … I held back from speculation … and now this morning, it has been confirmed, Police noted it is a Murder-Suicide. 

Now the question is … did he use the schools rifles? 

Will this be classed as a British school shooting? 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

I saw it on the news last night, the death of Epsom College head teacher, her husband and their child. 

I noticed the distinct pause when saying about the death of the mother and child … and then the father. 

I noticed the (not so) random mention that the headteachers house was next door to the schools rifle range … why mention that I thought … 

Although it appeared almost obviously what had happened … I held back from speculation … and now this morning, it has been confirmed, Police noted it is a Murder-Suicide. 

Now the question is … did he use the schools rifles? 

Will this be classed as a British school shooting? 

Won't matter how it's classified, it's another nail in the coffin?

17 minutes ago, old man said:

Won't matter how it's classified, it's another nail in the coffin?

may be, may be not the police are not necessarily coming out on top at these very sad and tragic incidents, they looked liked a loving family with professional well paid jobs, such a loss of life to happen the question must be why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-64547027

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

what difference does storage make with a recently renewed ticket someone failed to do their job again resulting in more loss of life 

I would of thought looking at the family set up, professional people , new jobs and a young family seemingly everything to live for, also not known to police.

What else could be done to ensure he was not a risk ?, anything could of set of events. Im not going to try and guess what it was that led to this tragedy.

But for you to blame somebody for not doing their job ?

Edited by mpmilo

43 minutes ago, mpmilo said:

I would of thought looking at the family set up, professional people , new jobs and a young family seemingly everything to live for, also not known to police.

What else could be done to ensure he was not a risk ?, anything could of set of events. Im not going to try and guess what it was that led to this tragedy.

Indeed so. If someone's kept their mental health struggles hidden, there's very little that can be done to investigate. I've lost track of the number of people who've said they never saw it coming when a family member commits suicide. Tragically, sometimes it's just too well hidden. 

36 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

On the positive - at least it wasn't a shotgun.

I'm not sure that is the case and it is immaterial really anyway- as far as the public is concerned, a gun is a gun.  Where it is a licensed gun, it is reasonable to ask "Should he have held a license?"  The license may well have been granted after all due processes were followed to the letter (I have certainly heard no suggestion otherwise) - but clearly something happened for some reason that sparked this tragic incident.

The license about which he spoke with the Police was (apparently) a shotgun 'license' https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11722159/Police-probe-Epsom-College-head-killed-husband-murder-suicide.html

36 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Tragic, pointless waste of lives nonetheless.

Indeed.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, mpmilo said:

current climate of gun lunacy any change of circumstance is red flag for a quick check especially when the family made it know a “big change has taken place” had they done so would we be here now? who knows because yet again it’s to late 

Absolutely awful! I just can’t imagine ( nor do I ever want to ) what state of mind someone has to be in to consider that killing your wife and child is a ‘way out’!
Even if she’d said she was leaving and taking his child, just what goes on in a mind to contemplate that killing your own kid is a solution? 
I can only assume it happened on the spur of the moment rather than planned, but who knows? 
Just too awful for words. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

current climate of gun lunacy any change of circumstance is red flag for a quick check especially when the family made it know a “big change has taken place” had they done so would we be here now? who knows because yet again it’s to late 

Good grief! It was a podcast for crying out loud! She was telling students in a podcast about the ‘big change’ regarding the move; not exactly sinister or a cry for help is it! 

6 hours ago, rbrowning2 said:

may be, may be not the police are not necessarily coming out on top at these very sad and tragic incidents, they looked liked a loving family with professional well paid jobs, such a loss of life to happen the question must be why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-64547027

Notwithstanding this very tragic incident the occurrence is still logged as a firearm incident and the total therefore increased?

The why will probably never be known?

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

It said on the news that the husband had been contacted about his licence in the days previous to the shooting. 

The police have reported themselves. 

Tragic.

Police only confirmed a change of address. Normal.

10 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Kiss your rifles goodbye everyone.................

Was it a rifle, or a shotgun? I’ve not seen anything other than a legally held firearm.

Edited by Fisheruk