Bloody Potholes

TIGHTCHOKE

Whilst returning from the fens early yesterday evening my Mate hit a pothole and the impact nearly shattered my spine!

Today, I thought I would report the pothole in the hope of getting it fixed before it damages someone else or their motor.

As it had a Peterborough postcode, I initially attempted to report it to Peterborough City Council, oh no, it is a County matter.

I duly reported it through the Cambridgeshire County Council website only to find I am the sixth person to report it!

I have now raised a complaint against CCC asking how many reports of this dangerous defect before they do something? 

Do they wait until sufficient claims are received before they fix it?

Our roads are in a terrible state and the Fen Roads are usually pretty poor even with the tame winter we have had so far.

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

From memory, if they have had two reports within the last six months, they become liable from that point onwards for any subsequent damage to a vehicle.

That is interesting Gordon, thank you.

We will see if they answer my questions or just ignore as usual!

40 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That is interesting Gordon, thank you.

We will see if they answer my questions or just ignore as usual!

You could possibly submit a subject access request for the relevant information regarding previous reporting (or your friends insurance company could assuming it’s damaged the vehicle) to ascertain liability. As Gordon r has said councils only have a certain amount of time to rectify before liability kicks in. 

8 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

You could possibly submit a subject access request for the relevant information regarding previous reporting (or your friends insurance company could assuming it’s damaged the vehicle) to ascertain liability. As Gordon r has said councils only have a certain amount of time to rectify before liability kicks in. 

Thank you, I will see what I can find out.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

From memory, if they have had two reports within the last six months, they become liable from that point onwards for any subsequent damage to a vehicle.

It depends on the classification of the road. "A" roads are inspected monthly and reported defects repaired within 7 days. "B" and "C" class roads are inspected every 3 months and the repair time is the same. If you clout the defect a few,5? days after an inspection then you would have a strong case for a claim on the basis that they failed to spot it and rectify the damage. Two reports in 6 months is not an aspect of a claim. Take pictures at the time of the incident which show the location and the depth, as far as possible. Then either consult a no-win no-fee firm or contact the council yourself requesting the recent inspection records for the road section in question. As I said, if your claim is within a short time after an inspection then you may have a case. Providing the inspections are carried out at the correct times then your claim has little chance.

1 minute ago, Velocette said:

It depends on the classification of the road. "A" roads are inspected monthly and reported defects repaired within 7 days. "B" and "C" class roads are inspected every 3 months and the repair time is the same. If you clout the defect a few,5? days after an inspection then you would have a strong case for a claim on the basis that they failed to spot it and rectify the damage. Two reports in 6 months is not an aspect of a claim. Take pictures at the time of the incident which show the location and the depth, as far as possible. Then either consult a no-win no-fee firm or contact the council yourself requesting the recent inspection records for the road section in question. As I said, if your claim is within a short time after an inspection then you may have a case. Providing the inspections are carried out at the correct times then your claim has little chance.

Thank you, not looking to claim, just want the dangerous road fixed.

I had some serious damage done by a pot hole on an unlit country road. It was that deep you couldn’t see the pen I took to photograph it in daylight. 

the council replied and said they were aware of it and it had been marked with paint spray and was on the list for repair. 

they stated they would not pay out on a claim should I wish to make one as they had discharged responsibility by noting it and marking it for repair. 

Just now, ph5172 said:

I had some serious damage done by a pot hole on an unlit country road. It was that deep you couldn’t see the pen I took to photograph it in daylight. 
the council replied and said they were aware of it and it had been marked with paint spray and was on the list for repair. 
they stated they would not pay out on a claim should I wish to make one as they had discharged responsibility by noting it and marking it for repair. 

That will be interesting, in that case any public servant supposedly providing a service has a wonderful escape route!   :w00t:

Here in the Fens we have the what I think they call the Fire Dragon. This is a lorry mounted affair operated by a single driver. It pulls up at the pothole, out comes an arm, heats the hole, pours in some junk which doesnt resemble asphalt in any shape or form. He then runs his wheel over it and on to to the next one. As much use as a chocolate fireguard. I saw it through our estate the other day, and a few days later the pothole was back. What really amuses me is, whatever the shape of the pothole, the patch finishes the same. If the hole is the shape of the dogs dangles, you finish up with that shape of patch.

We find the big and small pot holes are no problem , it's the small bits of road left in between the pot holes that are a concern , once they do away with the unwanted bits of tarmac it will leave the same road surface for miles , lovely ole job , all you need to do then is to find a speed you are happy with , normally it 10 m p h or under :lol:

TC. Can I suggest it is important to put a claim in , unless there was no damage at all. A similar incident in SE London 30 years ago resulted in a dent to inside of wheel hub needing a new wheel and tyre. if  your mate can establish cost of damage there should be a claim. It will receive MUCH more attention than a complaint. Again photos where possible. Get him to ask for a claim form it will get their attention.  Think of the outcome if a motorcycle or push bike had hit it!

All the best 

gdadphil

10 hours ago, gdadphil said:

TC. Can I suggest it is important to put a claim in , unless there was no damage at all. A similar incident in SE London 30 years ago resulted in a dent to inside of wheel hub needing a new wheel and tyre. if  your mate can establish cost of damage there should be a claim. It will receive MUCH more attention than a complaint. Again photos where possible. Get him to ask for a claim form it will get their attention.  Think of the outcome if a motorcycle or push bike had hit it.

Noted, thank you.  :good:

No shortage of yellow paint round here but that does not repair the road surface.  The A444 in North West Leicestershire is ridled with holes where the surface is actually peeling of. This is a very busy road feeding the M42/A42 and this damage has been present for six months to my knowledge. Still we will all have a whiz Bang railway to ride on ventually costing billions...just have to be able to drive over 30 miles to access this collasal waste of money.  One of our local lanes is closed next week for some modern high pressure water treatment but I bet they will not fill in the holes along the verges.  Many moons ago the edges of our lanes and footpaths would be cut back and tidied up in fact I remember a special small offset plough which went behind a T20 Fergy and did the job.  Too much money being spent on stupid electronic signs saying thank you for sticking to the speed limit.  A police motorcyclist tucked into a farm gateway was far more effective.  I could go on and on but what the heck I have to go out and risk my Dusters wheels.

I remember years ago in Southern Ireland we came across what was called a "Patcher Wagon" parked on a bridge, blocking all traffic both ways, but they were having a break :lol:

It was like a drain cleaner wagon, but instead it dropped concrete in the holes in the road, i think the break times were added into the time and motion to give the concrete time to cure.