Lineker and the Beeb

aberisle

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, powler said:

I very much dowt the BBC will do anything about it as there history shows they are very biased and will use the same excuse they use for Packham, they don't employ him. 

You are probably right, although the BBC DO employ Lineker I believe.  However, if no one actually complains, then they certainly won't do anything - which is why I did it.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

You are probably right, although the BBC DO employ Lineker I believe.  However, if no one actually complains, then they certainly won't do anything - which is why I did it.

I agree defo worth complaining, we should speak up , just dont hold ya breath the bloody BBC are useless

Thanks for contacting the BBC. This is to confirm we’ve received the attached complaint sent in this name. We’ve included the text of the complaint and a case reference for your records (see below). 

Our normal aim is to reply at this stage within 10 working days (two weeks), but we hope you will understand that sometimes we are unable to respond by then. We will let you know beforehand if we think it may take us longer.

We’ll normally include your complaint in our overnight report to producers and management. This will circulate your and all complaints with other reaction we receive today (but with any personal details removed) so it will then be available for the right team to read tomorrow morning.

For full details of our complaints process please visit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/how-we-handle-your-complaint. Please don’t reply to this email because it’s an automated acknowledgement sent from an account which can’t receive replies. If you do need to get in touch, please use our webform instead at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints, quoting your reference number.

Here are the details of your complaint: 

----------

YOUR COMPLAINT: 

Gary Lineker 

I am appalled that someone employed in the football area has made political comment about refugees. I don't believe he should be airing his personal views, when the BBC is supposed to be impartial. Please don't say he isn't employed directly or some other loophole, as to the man / woman in the street he is part of the BBC.

His comparison to the holocaust is beyond the pale. I have been a licence holder for 50 plus years, but unless he is sanctioned, I will no longer renew my licence. 

40 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

As far as i have read he has made no comment about comparing anything to the holocaust(1940s).

I dont bother one single bit with all this tweeting rubbish but I have heard he was writing about the 1930s in germany when lots of **** about jews, gypsies and immigrants all being criminals and carrying diseases, being drains on society and suchlike was put out by the german media to further their own agendas, lots of people believed it and as we know it went rather downhill for humanity  after that,

Luckily for the united kingdom the government of the day got wind of similar rubbish being printed in this country and banned papers such as the daily mail, iirc they actually locked up the owner of that nazi leaning rag til the war was over, 

Edit, he was kicked out of the country not jailed.if he had stayed he would have been jailed or possibly lynched

Edited by janner
Accuracy

saw a clip of him getting into a car at his home............what an arrogant *** he is ...and as BIGBOB says he thinks he is untouchable..........how an earth the BBC can allow this sort of thing is totally beyond me..........if the BBC dont sort this then they are done for..........

Linekar is perfectly entitled to air his poiticle views....but not at the impartial taxpayers expense..........

9 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

He thinks he can say what he wants as he is a freelancer 

How come the highest paid BBC host is a freelancer 🤷🏻‍♂️

:shaun:

and the BBC will use that as their get out of jail free card...........but by doing nothing he is by default representing the views of the BBC

The Wargner Group in the Ukraine are not Russian govt' they are freelancers..............does that absolve the Russian govt ?

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

janner - the Holocaust started in the 1930s with the Nazis persecuting the Jewish people, amongst others. You may like to separate the beginning from the end result, but that is splitting hairs to the nth degree.

From what i have heard he was talking about the similarity of the rhetoric between what the nazis were spouting in the early 30s with what the home secretary has been saying recently, i have not read first hand what he wrote but i dont believe he was saying our home secretary was advocating genocide but was just pointing out that the nazis demonised jews and immigrants etc at the start of the 30s  which paved the way for the later mass genocide, since your post i took the time to read  a brief timeline of the holocaust and to be fair, it did start with talk about ethnics and certain social groups being unwelcome and deportation camps being set up,

I am glad that Liniker,rightly or wrongly on his private media forum has shone a light on what many are worried about,

Somebody has to,

Our country has free speech and attacks on those who critisise or hold to account them who govern are anti everything that Britishness stands for, i have read far worse on social media  than anything liniker would ever say and nobody suggests that those writers should be sacked, 

Edited by janner

Perhaps you should read up on subjects before making posts.

Lineker is a rather limited individual. I don't need him to speak about subjects he hasn't a clue about. He says the UK has taken the least number of refugees. He might be right - other countries might have admitted more genuine refugees. The majority of those crossing the channel are not genuine refugees at all, but Lineker hasn't processed that. He doesn't give any thought to crime, overloading housing, NHS and the massive increase in prisoners and policing.

Perhaps Lineker should pop over to Sweden and tell them they need to take more.

3 hours ago, janner said:

Our country has free speech and attacks on those who critisise or hold to account them who govern are anti everything that Britishness stands for, i have read far worse on social media  than anything liniker would ever say and nobody suggests that those writers should be sacked, 

This is the most crucial point. 

Freedom of speech is under attack in this country, the BBC is utterly bias, imagine if a BBC employee had called it a migrant invasion or some other strongly worded counter view, they'd have been sacked immediately, its tax payer funded bias propaganda. 

I couldn’t care less what Lineker talks about really; in my opinion he has as much right to express his views about anything as does anyone else, but if he’s a freelancer then I’d be asking him why he hosted the BBC World Cup coverage from Qatar, given his outspoken views and support for the ‘just stop oil’ campaigners? 
Did he voice his opinions then about oil or the lack of basic human rights for workers, women and gay people in that country? 
If he did then I’m not aware of it. 

Edited by Scully

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I couldn’t care less what Lineker talks about really; in my opinion he has as much right to express his views about anything as does anyone else, but if he’s a freelancer then I’d be asking him why he hosted the BBC World Cup coverage from Qatar, given his outspoken views and support for the ‘just stop oil’ campaigners? 

Or slavery, or LBGQT ad infinitum rights.

Lineker did voice concerns about Qatar.

He's not spouting off about government whilst commenting on football on the BBC, but making comments on his personal twitter account which does not mention the BBC in the description or title. 

People can read his personal twitter account or not, as they wish. 

It seems to me that the people saying "Fire Gary Lineker for expressing his views condemning the illegal migration bill"  are the same ones who would say "Stop this woke cancel culture. Defend our freedom of speech."

Lineker's freedom of speech is under attack. He's as entitled to express his views about the government as anyone else.

15 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Lineker's freedom of speech is under attack.

It isn't.  He would be entitled to say/tweet what he likes - but his position with the BBC requires he upholds it's charter - which requires impartiality. 

He can express whatever opinions he likes, but his role with the BBC has been set down by the Director General; "The DG has said he expects BBC 'personalities' to follow the BBC charter requirement of being impartial in their public opinions.  That includes non-BBC public statements."  Therefore IF he wishes to use his freedom of speech, he should first resign from the BBC.

17 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

He's as entitled to express his views about the government as anyone else.

He isn't whilst he holds his position with the BBC - since it is contrary to what the DG 'expects' of BBC 'personalities'.  If he resigns from the BBC - he can express any (legal) views he likes.  Whilst he remains in his post with the BBC, the DG's rules must apply (as they do to all other BBC 'personalities').

30 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Lineker did voice concerns about Qatar.

He's not spouting off about government whilst commenting on football on the BBC, but making comments on his personal twitter account which does not mention the BBC in the description or title. 

People can read his personal twitter account or not, as they wish. 

It seems to me that the people saying "Fire Gary Lineker for expressing his views condemning the illegal migration bill"  are the same ones who would say "Stop this woke cancel culture. Defend our freedom of speech."

Lineker's freedom of speech is under attack. He's as entitled to express his views about the government as anyone else.

our usual double standards how many on here are going to share with their employers customers they shoot wildlife and their posts on here prob nobody 

Just now, clangerman said:

our usual double standards how many on here are going to share with their employers customers they shoot wildlife and their posts on here prob nobody 

No double standards at all.  I certainly shared my involvement with field sports with both my employer and fellow employees;

I ran a shoot (in my spare time) for some years and my employer was advised.  Apart from anything else - informing them of other employments was a requirement.  I also (in all my employers over 40 years) took various colleagues to 'have a try' sessions at the clays club or RFD organised sessions for people to 'have a try under supervision'. 

2 minutes ago, clangerman said:

Nope.

Most employment contracts include a clause whereby if they don’t like what you say on social medja (sic), you’re out the door. 

Linekar is way out of line on this one, and lower-ranking BBC employees have been fired for far less.

Ultimately, all he’s doing is adding to the slow, public demise of the BBC, whilst laughing all the way to the bank.

Freedom of speech/cancel culture are completely irrelevant to the discussion.